yconic - Getting kinda worried :/
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Getting kinda worried :/

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I've noticed a lot of people have already gotten their acceptance letters, but so far I've only gotten one.
My 1st semester marks were only an 89.75% so I was pretty disappointed with that but,
eee, should I be stressing out? D:

Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of BudsFan94 BudsFan94

@MKYM wrote
I've noticed a lot of people have already gotten their acceptance letters, but so far I've only gotten one.
My 1st semester marks were only an 89.75% so I was pretty disappointed with that but,

I'm on the same boat as you. Don't get discouraged, just keep trying and you know they say, "good things come to those who wait" :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greatwallpaul greatwallpaul
Same 94% here
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PurpleMustang PurpleMustang
You will likely get accepted to all of the schools you applied to. It's just a matter of time, at this point.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
same here...havent got into any of the real elite schools (U of T, UBC and McGill) yet.. i hate this waiting gama D:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014

@Joshki wrote
same here...havent got into any of the real elite schools (U of T, UBC and McGill) yet.. i hate this waiting gama D:

Since when are those schools considered elite, lmfao. McGill maybe...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maynards maynards
^tbh, i think the entire forum is sick of your constant trolling. If you have nothing positive or helpful to say, hop off and go pursue your 'avid weight lifting'.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@maynards wrote
^tbh, i think the entire forum is sick of your constant trolling. If you have nothing positive or helpful to say, hop off and go pursue your 'avid weight lifting'.

lol +1
I should fix his sig

"Low Self-Esteem / 120lb / Virgin / My mom says I'm tough"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@maynards wrote

CMA2014, there was a time when I was not sure if choosing Schulich over Queen's was a good decision. Coming across your posts, I know I made the right choice. Thank you for destroying Queen's reputation, at least in my eyes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@MKYM wrote

With that average you may not get early acceptance from some schools (for example, Schulich). However, if you bring your average up for the mid term, you should be fine. That's what happened to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@maynards wrote

My 5x5 strength training regime requires 3 days/week workout. Not too much commitment. How much do you bench anyways? lmao.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You must be new to weightliftin arent ya?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@greatwallpaul wrote
You must be new to weightliftin arent ya?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw56.htm

cmd+f madcow

yup. im completely new. Otherwise, why would I have plateaued on SS and moved onto madcow? /facepalm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of johneidude johneidude

@CMA2014 wrote

@Joshki wrote

Since when is Queens?
Those 3 are the top schools in Canada, and are in the top of their fields. Granted all schools in Canada are easy not hard to get into (as opposed to top US schools). I wish the schools became more selective and increased their tuition in order to be able to better match the US private schools, and they need to start having supplemental applications, rather than just basing it on grades, because frankly, doing well in a Canadian public school is easy (unless if they are IB/AP courses). They should also start looking at all 4 years, (rather than focusing on one year, or top 6).

As for your comment, who the hell puts things like that on their sig, clearly someone who is insecure.

As for the OP and other posters, dont worry. Its only February. People get send out acceptance letters till the summer, so just wait, I am sure you will get in to a few more schools. If you applied to McGill Desautels, then with an 89% you may not get int because all they care about is grades, and (at least 3 years ago) the minimum was a 90% to get in I believe. As for UBC (assuming Sauder), their acceptance rate is less than 10%, granted quite a few of the 7000 applicants are students who apply even if they have absolutely no chance of getting in because they do not meet the 84% cut off, so if you only consider the students who do meet the cutoff (since those who dont should never have applied imo) the acceptance rate is more like 30%. Sauder cares a lot about EC's, so if you have good EC's, you should get in because you do meet the cutoff. The average grade of those accepted (at least in my year) was like a 93% and you are at essentially a 90% so nothing to worry about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@johneidude wrote

@CMA2014 wrote

@Joshki wrote

Since when is Queens?
Those 3 are the top schools in Canada, and are in the top of their fields. Granted all schools in Canada are easy not hard to get into (as opposed to top US schools). I wish the schools became more selective and increased their tuition in order to be able to better match the US private schools, and they need to start having supplemental applications, rather than just basing it on grades, because frankly, doing well in a Canadian public school is easy (unless if they are IB/AP courses). They should also start looking at all 4 years, (rather than focusing on one year, or top 6).

Clearly a BC kid who knows two schools outside of the province, and also thinks UBC is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Yes, they are excellent, large schools, and probably the three best in Canada. That doesn't mean every single program in each school is top-3 in each discipline.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of johneidude johneidude

@caveman wrote

@johneidude wrote

@CMA2014 wrote

@Joshki wrote

Since when is Queens?

Clearly a BC kid who knows two schools outside of the province, and also thinks UBC is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Yes, they are excellent, large schools, and probably the three best in Canada. That doesn't mean every single program in each school is top-3 in each discipline.

Yes I study in BC (UBC) but I am not a BC "kid" , I am an international student, and I had done a good amount of research into the different schools before coming to NA. In terms of Canada I was considering the offers from Rotman, Desautels, Queens Commerce, Sauder and Waterloo's Computer Science program. At the end of the day, in terms of International reputation (which to me, matters a lot) quality of the professors, and the amount of different programs offered were great at UofT, UBC, and McGill. Getting into graduate school in the US after graduating from these 3 schools would be relatively easy, granted UofT and UBC are hard graders, as opposed to other schools where it is a little bit easier to do well in. Main reason I personally chose UBC was because of Vancouver (not used to the cold and frankly both Toronto and Montreal get super cold in the winter).

Also, if you had any reading comprehension skills, I said that those 3 schools are the best overall, I never said that each department in that school is the best department available in Canada. You yourself sound like an Ontario kid who does not know any schools outside of Ontario and Canada...

Next time you make a post, first, learn to read. Second, don't make assumptions, makes you look like an ***.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johneidude wrote

Yes I study in BC (UBC) but I am not a BC "kid" , I am an international student, and I had done a good amount of research into the different schools before coming to NA.

My point still stands. Students from other provinces and international students constantly overestimate the quality of the "big-name" schools, which lie in the three largest cities in Canada.

@johneidude wrote

In terms of Canada I was considering the offers from Rotman, Desautels, Queens Commerce, Sauder and Waterloo's Computer Science program. At the end of the day, in terms of International reputation (which to me, matters a lot) quality of the professors, and the amount of different programs offered were great at UofT, UBC, and McGill. Getting into graduate school in the US after graduating from these 3 schools would be relatively easy, granted UofT and UBC are hard graders, as opposed to other schools where it is a little bit easier to do well in. Main reason I personally chose UBC was because of Vancouver (not used to the cold and frankly both Toronto and Montreal get super cold in the winter).

I'm not analyzing your personal choice, so most of that is irrelevant. The fact that some of those cities are "too cold" (for Canada, they're really not that cold btw, try Winnipeg) for you only apply to you. That's great that you took them into account, but completely irrelevant.

Reputation is great, but so is the ability to land internships and post-grad jobs at leading firms. I would much rather graduate from QC after working at GS than graduate from UofT/UBC/McGill after working at ScotiaBank. The contacts you develop and the prestige from working at GS are infinitely better than the prestige you get from UofT/UBC/McGill.

I'd debate the quality of professors for these three schools vs the top business programs. Don't underestimate the smaller schools.

Why does the number of programs at a school matter? If you want to consider it, fine. But you're only going to one program, so how many others there are doesn't matter.

@johneidude wrote

Also, if you had any reading comprehension skills, I said that those 3 schools are the best overall, I never said that each department in that school is the best department available in Canada.

This whole thread was about business programs. So by saying those three schools are the best, it would be safe to assume that you're implying that they have the best (or at least "elite") business schools. We'll ignore the fact that that's hardly true at all.

I took my example to the extreme. It was merely pointing out the fact that best school =/= best business program. That is why most people would choose QC, Ivey or Schulich over Sauder, Sauder or Rotman (most, not all).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of meganrankin12 meganrankin12
I'm in same boat but I havent been accepted anywhere...
but I'm not sure what programs "everyone" you know has been applying too, but generally most do not have supplementry applications to do.

Thats why Waterloo, Western (Ivey) and Rotman and all of the other business schools take so long to hear from, because they have to read through all of the applications, not just look through a list of marks.

Also, for people applying to Queens..my one friend last year didnt hear from them until mind/end of May, and she has a 93% average and was student council president, so dont freak out so much (although she was freaking out a lot at that point..haha)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of reb8260 reb8260
I haven't gotten accepted to any business schools either. I'm really worried as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The majority of offers come in May. So stop worrying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@MKYM wrote

Don't worry. My first acceptance was Schulich which came out during March Break (yes Laurier BBA and Western Econ (not even Ivey) came out after March Break).

I would also not compare Queen's to CMA2014. He is an outlier.

I'm really interested as to who he is though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0