yconic - Girl guides, boy scouts, duke of edinborough
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Girl guides, boy scouts, duke of edinborough

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
Are any of you involved with these things?

I'm an 11 year member of guiding.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
50 replies

A photo of Nyx Nyx
I'm jealous. I liked guides so much, but then i had to move and it wasn't the same...i still have a lot of my old stuff though.
I loved the camps most of all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I was in Cubs and Scouts for 5 years, then Army Cadets for 5 years, and I have my Gold Level Duke of Edinburgh.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@ARMY101 wrote
I was in Cubs and Scouts for 5 years, then Army Cadets for 5 years, and I have my Gold Level Duke of Edinburgh.

You sure 7000 is accurate? I counted OVER 9000!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Qq wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

You sure 7000 is accurate? I counted OVER 9000!

Based on what? I counted about 600 with my LawStudent name, 4,400 with ARMY101, and about 2,000 on the forum before the old one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
i was in everything in the title. no lie.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RamyaB RamyaB
I finished my duke of ed bronze level. It was really fun! When I start university I'm going for the silver and eventually gold.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of sarahdoty sarahdoty
Congratss I cant wait to start!
I was a girlguide back in the day
then it was time for me to either leave or go to whats after girl guides Pathfinders! But i did'nt feel like it :( too bad because I know that I would have been able to travel to a lot of different places and do some amazing things!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jaycee15 Jaycee15
I am doing the Duke of Ed and have gotten my Bronze. I have done all the hours for my silver but I just haven't had time to make up my journal thing for the adventurous journey. And I did my Residential project when I went to Honduras this summer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of swoodrow swoodrow
I was in Girl Guides for 9 years, and I have my Gold Duke of Edinburgh award.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I started Duke of Ed a few years ago but totally forgot about it and put it somewhere, no clue where I put the book now.
All I needed was a skill, then I could have gotten the bronze/silver. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Keeshw Keeshw
Yeah I was in girl guides back in the day but gave up when I hit Pathfinder age. Oh well, I still have my sash though!
I finished by Silver level Duke of Ed. It was so much fun!! I did so many things i never would have expected to do, like winter camping for my journey thing!!
it was crazy
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nadia93 nadia93
i'm in my 13th year of guiding, i'm so glad i do it because it's good for resumes and stuff like that
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Newki Newki
I've been in brownies, pathfinders and am in rangers now. i've also been a JL (Junior Ledder) for 2 yrs now. I LOVE girl guides.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

When I was younger I did the brownies and girl guides and pathfinders, but then just got to busy.

I made a failed attempt at my bronze level Duke of Ed. However, I just re-registered to start my gold, and because the university I'm going to has it's own club I think I'll be able to stick with it this time.

What skills did everyone do when they did their Duke of Ed? I'm still debating what to do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of willcreene willcreene
I used to do cubs and scouts until I got involved in competitive sports and music and other stuff. Much more fun in my opinion, doesn't look as good on paper though I guess. But I'd rather live life to the full and I find what I do now more fun. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super
How do you guys get involved? Especially in the Duke of Edinborough thing.

I really want to give it a shot at the award but I'm not sure if I have enough time, since it's my last year in high school. I'm I too late?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Super wrote
How do you guys get involved? Especially in the Duke of Edinborough thing.

You go to http://www.dukeofed.org/ and register? :scratch:

I really want to give it a shot at the award but I'm not sure if I have enough time, since it's my last year in high school. I'm I too late?

Duke of Ed. is not a short term commitment. You're looking at at least 6 months for Bronze, an additional year for Silver, and an additional year and a half for Gold.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super

@ARMY101 wrote

Duke of Ed. is not a short term commitment. You're looking at at least 6 months for Bronze, an additional year for Silver, and an additional year and a half for Gold.

Only if I had known this earlier. My friends have already received their Gold awards during the winter. Does it really make you better for Uni applications to note that you achieved the Duke of Ed. award?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Super wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

Only if I had known this earlier. My friends have already received their Gold awards during the winter. Does it really make you better for Uni applications to note that you achieved the Duke of Ed. award?

It's a long term EC with substantial commitment and skills-building. It's certainly better than saying "I volunteered at a soup kitchen for 10 hours" or "I play hockey once a week." And you get to meet royalty.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
The Duke of Ed. certainly seems interesting, but you could accomplish the same things without receiving any sort of award of that type.
Was this helpful? Yes 0