yconic - Give me advice for my grade 12 courses you smart people...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Give me advice for my grade 12 courses you smart people...

A photo of CatWarrior1995 CatWarrior1995
I've never got an honor-roll before (80+ average); I've got 80+ averages for mid-terms but not for finals cause I barely do my homework.

I seriously want a 90+ average and give me the best advice you can for each/most of the courses I'm taking next year.

1.) Advanced Functions (MHF4U1)
2.) Mathematics of Data Management (MDM4U1)
3.) Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U1)
4.) English 12 (ENG4U1)
5.) Financial Accounting Principles (BAT4M1)
6.) International Business Fundamentals (BBB4M1)
7.) Canadian and International Law (CLN4U1)
8.) Business Leadership: Management Fundamentals (BOH4M1)

These are my courses for next so can you give me your advice/experience with these following courses? I'm going into accounting, I want to become a CA. If you're wondering about my math mark... I got a 77 but I never did my math homework, unless she was checking but it was really rare. Overall, out of 10 how hard are these courses and is it douable for me to get a 90+ average.

Please I need to do well next year. If you say no, I'm fine with that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of seasharp seasharp

@CatWarrior1995 wrote
4.) English 12 (ENG4U1)

1. Make sure you know what you're doing (e.g. do your homework)
2. Apparently easy (at my school, anyways). I've heard it's harder at others
3. I find Calculus easier than Advanced Functions, but we just recently finished the Calculus portion.
4. I find it easy, but it really depends if you're strong at writing essays/analyzing poetry/etc.
5. Couldn't tell you.
6. Couldn't tell you.
7. Couldn't tell you.
8. Couldn't tell you.

I would have preferred having 2 spares, but that's also because I have a 94 in ICS4U (CompSci) from last year to fall back on if a grade 12 mark is "low," as universities take into account your top six. Spares are nice to catch up on work/assignments should you need them, or just as a break from school work. Then again, it looks like most of your courses are directly related to your desired field, so I guess that will make you realize if you really want to go into Accounting. See how it goes - if it's too stressful, you could probably always drop a course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
3 words......DO YOUR HOMEWORK
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
To be pretty blunt... you're probably not going to do your homework.

I have a ton of friends, going into grade 12, who aimed high after slacking off the first three years of high school. More or less, I was one of those people. My average ranged from 81%-90% throughout each semester of high school. My working habits are pretty damn terrible (still better than a lot of people, but nothing to be proud of). I went into grade 12, after finishing my second semester of grade 11 with a 90.0 average. I felt really confident in achieving a 90% top 6. It didn't happen. I mean, its certainly possible for you to achieve a 90% average if you suddenly get the drive to work real hard, but from the looks of everyone around me, it's really, really rare. Your bad work habits will come back to haunt you and you'll often find yourself trying to wing tests/assignments. If you really want to get that 90%+, you definitely have to step it up a LOT, because what I personally did (which I'd say is an improvement) was not enough for me. Then again, my average would be in the 90s if I was fulfilling a business top 6, as sciences are my lowest mark.

tl;dr - The majority of people who say they will start doing their homework in grade 12 after spending 3 years of slacking don't end up doing it. Don't be one of those people.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatWarrior1995 CatWarrior1995

@jelly wrote
To be pretty blunt... you're probably not going to do your homework.

I have a ton of friends, going into grade 12, who aimed high after slacking off the first three years of high school. More or less, I was one of those people. My average ranged from 81%-90% throughout each semester of high school. My working habits are pretty damn terrible (still better than a lot of people, but nothing to be proud of). I went into grade 12, after finishing my second semester of grade 11 with a 90.0 average. I felt really confident in achieving a 90% top 6. It didn't happen. I mean, its certainly possible for you to achieve a 90% average if you suddenly get the drive to work real hard, but from the looks of everyone around me, it's really, really rare. Your bad work habits will come back to haunt you and you'll often find yourself trying to wing tests/assignments. If you really want to get that 90%+, you definitely have to step it up a LOT, because what I personally did (which I'd say is an improvement) was not enough for me. Then again, my average would be in the 90s if I was fulfilling a business top 6, as sciences are my lowest mark.

tl;dr - The majority of people who say they will start doing their homework in grade 12 after spending 3 years of slacking don't end up doing it. Don't be one of those people.

Exact same thing I said when I was entering grade 11. I am sadly one of those people...

What should I do :!:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bscit Bscit

@CatWarrior1995 wrote
I've never got an honor-roll before (80+ average); I've got 80+ averages for mid-terms but not for finals cause I barely do my homework.

I seriously want a 90+ average and give me the best advice you can for each/most of the courses I'm taking next year.

4.) English 12 (ENG4U1)

These are my courses for next so can you give me your advice/experience with these following courses? I'm going into accounting, I want to become a CA. If you're wondering about my math mark... I got a 77 but I never did my math homework, unless she was checking but it was really rare. Overall, out of 10 how hard are these courses and is it douable for me to get a 90+ average.

Please I need to do well next year. If you say no, I'm fine with that.

1.) Do your homework, pay atention, study the day before the test
2.) Easy Stuff. Just easy math and find mean and median and that. Will get more difficult later on but if you pay attention, a 95 shouldnt be a dream
3.) Currently getting 85 in this. I find it hard but not as hard as what people say it is. Same thing for Adv Functions
4.) A lot of writing which i hate. If you like taht sort of stuff then aime for atleast and 85. I was lucky with a bimbo teacher and got a 90.
5.) Heard all business courses were easy but ive never taken one for more than a week
6.) Same for 5
7.) Took it and was pretty fun. My teacher require a lot of essays. Only 4 tests with essays worth the same amount as tests. I always had 95+ on the tests but 65-75 on the essays. Will be easy if you are good at memorizing for the tests and writing essays.
Also arguing and being able to talk is a strong point.
8.) Same for 5
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mccannca466 mccannca466
It may be in your best interest to take a spare, so that you have time to study. But DO NOT use that time to slack off (most people do, including myself). It will be very tempting to hang out with friends during this time. But if you REALLY want that mark, actually study during that time. Take 2 spares if you want, but if you want an extra mark in case one of your required 6 isn't great, an easy 7th course (E&S is fun) will help your mark. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ilikebones ilikebones
i know someone that smoked cigs, smoked weed, had a low 60 average in grade 11. he just changed all of a sudden in grade 12 and shot up to 93%, did homework all day, started taking university calculus outside of class, etc. he got into shulich and queens commerce, lol. he finished calculus 2 as well in high school. amazing, huh?

i guess you just have to realize your life will be crap if you continue your old self

i, myself, went from high 70 average to mid 90 average.. just do your homework and study hard and have the right mindset. you also need the brain capacity, lol. if you're going to have a 90+ average that means being the top 2 in each of your classes, usually (if you don't go to a bird school)
Was this helpful? Yes 0