yconic - Go to college instead of university?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Go to college instead of university?

A photo of Businessman Businessman
I declined a few university offers of acceptance to BBA/Commerce program and decided to go to College. I took the risks but still not sure if I did the right thing.

I got a full scholarship to college and only partial scholarships to universities. I can't afford to pay full tuition fees, accommodation fees and other living costs. I decided to stay with my parents for 1 more year.

I already done enough research of who I want to be once I will graduate and my choice is - Venture Capitalist or Self-Entrepreneur.

I understand that my Semester 1 didn't even start but I already started working on my university transfer application.

Are there any successful university transfer applicants on this forum? PM me please.

Anyone is in the same boat?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I've always been told and said that

College gets you a job
University gets you a career

You could be successful after either, depending on what field you're in and how well you do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
^ That really did not answer his question, and is not entirely true. There are many unemployed people with university degrees and a ton of debt while people who went to college for two years are off making good money.

The anti-college sentiment on this forum is overpowering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel
I know tons of people who did 1-2 years at a college and then transferred to U of A. This college now had degree-granting powers too
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

Not just here, but the university world in general. University isn't always the best option.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Honestly I've no idea why I am even going to College/University. The only benefits from going to university I see that I am going to meet lots of other students who are just like me hungry for success.
I also want to start a start up while I am still in College/University and thats where I can meet genius people who can help me with my projects.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle

@Businessman wrote
Honestly I've no idea why I am even going to College/University. The only benefits from going to university I see that I am going to meet lots of other students who are just like me hungry for success.
I also want to start a start up while I am still in College/University and thats where I can meet genius people who can help me with my projects.

if you have no idea why you're going then why are you going? just pull a Bill Gates: quit school; become billionaire
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@Businessman wrote

I used to share your feelings towards university, so I stayed back for 2 years. That was the best decision I ever made. I worked in marketing and became quite successful, making pretty good income for myself. In general, I was able to develop myself and mature a lot. Later on, I discovered a field which interests me a lot more than entrepreneurship and marketing, so I decided to go back to school and become a professional accountant, paving myself the way to the senior management position in the biggest companies out there. Now I am a lot more determined to succeed in university and I learned what it takes to work hard, how to network, and a lot of other lovely skills many of my classmates are missing at this point.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

Uh, what I posted is common fact. I'm not saying university students are better than or smarter than college students (although most are).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@ARMY101 wrote

@g93 wrote

Uh, what I posted is common fact. I'm not saying university students are better than or smarter than college students (although most are).

You don think there are people coming out of college who are getting careers? There are lots of people who go to college and end up having lucrative and satisfying careers. There are lots of people who come out of uni in hugedebt and can find a job, much less a career.

Plus smart is a relative term.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@g93 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@g93 wrote

You don think there are people coming out of college who are getting careers? There are lots of people who go to college and end up having lucrative and satisfying careers. There are lots of people who come out of uni in hugedebt and can find a job, much less a career.

I completely agree with g93. Too many people who go to university don't even have an idea of why they're there. No wonder most professionals out there end up doing something completely irrelevant to their studies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

On paper our politicians are smart.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of scoobygiggles scoobygiggles
I've been to both university and college, and I can honestly say that college is just as educational and beneficial as university. College tends to be a little more hands on, and the courses are specific to the diploma or degree that you're aiming to receive. Don't let anyone knock you down for deciding to go to college... it's a lot of hard work either way, and it's worth it in the end.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Feli0303 Feli0303

@Businessman wrote

You will meet those types of people in college too. I had a business planning class in the beginning of my 3rd year at Algonquin and we had to create a start up and pitch the idea to the class, who were the investors. To me that fits what you want to based on your first post. There were people on my team that had already actually started businesses.

What it came down to for me was cost. My progam with tuition and all mandatory fees cost me about 9000 for 6 semesters. At the nearest university it would cost almost 7000 for 2 semesters, and accounting is a 4.5 year program at that university so it would have cost 31,000. I made my choice based on what I could afford and i will graduate debt free, and with relevant work experience. I do plan on going to university and the remaining cost for me to obtain a BComm degree is about 10000 for the 15 courses + fees I have left. That will bring a grand total of 19000 and I will have a university degree. 12000 less then the quote smart people unquote that go straight to university. It will take a little longer then it would have I had just gone to university, but it is totally worth it for the money I saved.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
^ How much extra time is it going to cost you though? I can guarantee you I will make 12k easily in that time. This isn't mentioning the other factors.

You made it sound like everyone who goes to university is stupid for doing so. That is not completely true, nor is saying that college gets you a job and university gets you a career.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Feli0303 Feli0303

@g93 wrote
^ How much extra time is it going to cost you though? I can guarantee you I will make 12k easily in that time. This isn't mentioning the other factors.

You made it sound like everyone who goes to university is stupid for doing so. That is not completely true, nor is saying that college gets you a job and university gets you a career.

It will take 4.5 years to do the schooling (assuming I do the university portion full-time) just like it would have had I done it all as a full time university student. And I am not saying that people who go to university are stupid, because obviously they are not. In fact it was Army101 that pointed out that, university students are usually smarter than college students, which pissed me off. I was just pointing out college is a more cost effective option. You can transfer your college credits to university and spend less on your education. The person who started this forum said that he could afford full tuition and all the other expenses that came with university so I explained how cost effective college was and how I will end up in the same place as a university grad but having spent less.

I don't what your point was in pointing out you could easily earn 12k in the extra time it will take me to get my university degree. Considering it takes 4.5 years to earn an accounting degree at the university closest to where I live, so there is no extra time for the degree. The only extra time is for the CGA credits, because the degree I am doing gives gives me 3 less CGA credits then the 4.5 university program would have. The only way the degree will take longer is if I get full time employment right out of college.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93

@Feli0303 wrote

@g93 wrote

It will take 4.5 years to do the schooling (assuming I do the university portion full-time) just like it would have had I done it all as a full time university student. And I am not saying that people who go to university are stupid, because obviously they are not. In fact it was Army101 that pointed out that, university students are usually smarter than college students, which pissed me off. I was just pointing out college is a more cost effective option. You can transfer your college credits to university and spend less on your education. The person who started this forum said that he could afford full tuition and all the other expenses that came with university so I explained how cost effective college was and how I will end up in the same place as a university grad but having spent less.

I don't what your point was in pointing out you could easily earn 12k in the extra time it will take me to get my university degree. Considering it takes 4.5 years to earn an accounting degree at the university closest to where I live, so there is no extra time for the degree. The only extra time is for the CGA credits, because the degree I am doing gives gives me 3 less CGA credits then the 4.5 university program would have. The only way the degree will take longer is if I get full time employment right out of college.

Why will it take 4.5 years to earn an accounting degree? Sure, if you are becoming a CA. So that would be 5 years with college, no?

My point was that I can make over 12k in that extra time it takes you to complete your degree while going the college route. So effectively the cost savings of going to college are negated.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK
^ I agree with g93. Additionally, there are such things are such things as scholarships. For example, my tuition and books are covered. No loans. No personal savings used.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK
You say you want to become an entrepreneur or venture capitalist. However you are unwilling to invest in a high yield investment vehicle called an "university education".

Personally, I would make the investment. You gain some good debt and save some time (the most precious commodity). Maybe, just maybe you will learn something in the process.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@AZK wrote
You say you want to become an entrepreneur or venture capitalist. However you are unwilling to invest in a high yield investment vehicle called an "university education".

Personally, I would make the investment. You gain some good debt and save some time (the most precious commodity). Maybe, just maybe you will learn something in the process.

I can't afford to make that investment right now. If I decided to go to university I would have paid for my plain tickets, accomondation, tuition, food, alcohol, textbooks and for many other entertainments. By staying at home with my parents I can save a lot of money. In the end I will get exactly the same product for less than quarter of what you will pay.
My decision to go to College wasn't based solely on tuition costs factor. I have weighted lots of factors before I made my decision. I talked to a few 1st year students who now are going into their second year and most of them told me that lots of their courses were general (arts students were in the same class). The knowledge which you gain in your first year is really straight forward.
In my case I am already way ahead of many first year students. I started studying business when I were still in highschool because it is my hobby.
Right now I am in a process of buying used textbooks for universities I plan to attend in the future and for college I am going to attend starting from this September.
Also, English isn't my first language. Therefore, it will be much easier for me in the smaller classes.
As a future venture capitalist I have to weight all factors before making my decision.
The only thing I am worrying about now is that universities will not accept me as a transfer students. Thats highly unlikely but possible. If that will happen I will apply as a high school graduate student and once I will get accepted into my first year I'll try to transfer some of my credits from college to university.

P.S - Investing money in a well known company such as Microsoft most likely will increase your capital but if you want to make more money you have to find a start-up gem like facebook or groupon were a few years ago.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@MINTOK wrote
^ I agree with g93. Additionally, there are such things are such things as scholarships. For example, my tuition and books are covered. No loans. No personal savings used.

Not everyone gets scholarships. I got scholarships because I had strong ECs, a 95% average going in and a 3.9 every year after. Not everyone achieves that, and then they're stuck paying for it themselves. A lot of college programs offer 2 years worth of university credits at a much lower cost and in an 'easier' environment (easier to deal with for some people, I mean). It makes sense for certain people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@g93 wrote

Name one renowned scientist who eschewed university for college.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This is not a College VS University topic. I started this topic because I wanted to talk to people who went through the same pass before. I already made my decision and starting from September 6 I will start attending college. I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me.

@Xiaohaha wrote

@g93 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@g93 wrote

Bro! This is business section, not Science! There are so many people who succeeded in business and some of them never even went to college or university or graduated from one!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Businessman wrote
This is not a College VS University topic. I started this topic because I wanted to talk to people who went through the same pass before. I already made my decision and starting from September 6 I will start attending college. I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me.

@Xiaohaha wrote

@g93 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@g93 wrote

Bro! This is business section, not Science! There are so many people who succeeded in business and some of them never even went to college or university or graduated from one!

o kidding. Ever heard of Bill Gates? Or maybe Facebook's creator Mark Zuckerberg?
Was this helpful? Yes 0