yconic - Going into a buisness program without any prior business knowledge...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Going into a buisness program without any prior business knowledge...

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
No previous experience with Accounting (Grade 11, 12), nor Economics (Grade 11, 12) nor Data Management (12).

Would you fail?
I'm willing to work hard but I don't want to be at the bottom of the class.

Also - how do I find out what stream I want to specialize in for Business?

How are job prospects for a Laurier BBA student/UTSC Co-op BBA Student?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of dankup dankup
I'm not in university but grade 12 accounting does teach a lot and helps out first years, from what I hear, as does economics. As for the stream, many universities require you to take courses from every business stream (marketing, accounting, etc) and then during 2nd or 3rd year, you decide which one you want to major in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dankup wrote
I'm not in university but grade 12 accounting does teach a lot and helps out first years, from what I hear, as does economics. As for the stream, many universities require you to take courses from every business stream (marketing, accounting, etc) and then during 2nd or 3rd year, you decide which one you want to major in.

Thanks for your post.

I already know what you have posted but the question is HOW to find out what stream to go into?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dankup dankup

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote

@dankup wrote

Thanks for your post.

I already know what you have posted but the question is HOW to find out what stream to go into?

There's only one way to find out.. You do a little bit of each and find out what you like the most :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
Highschool classes will help you with your first semester. After that, everyone is on an even playing field.

You'll decide on the stream you wish to go into after your 2nd or 3rd year. At most schools its optional, to select a stream.

Both those schools allow you to get into quality jobs as long as YOU are willing to work hard, take advantage of networking opportunities, and are successful throughout your co-op terms.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Illuminar Illuminar

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote
No previous experience with Accounting (Grade 11, 12), nor Economics (Grade 11, 12) nor Data Management (12).

Would you fail?

Don't worry about not having taken business or economic classes in high school. The material is elementary compared to university classes, and in the end it's about how much work you put in as opposed to what you already know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Roy Roy

@Illuminar wrote

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote

Would you fail?

Don't worry about not having taken business or economic classes in high school. The material is elementary compared to university classes, and in the end it's about how much work you put in as opposed to what you already know.

incorrect, that depends on which highschool you go to. Highschool teachers have the freedom to alter their curriculum, good teachers actually listen to visiting university students. If you take those classes the first year university classes are a breeze.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Roy wrote

@Illuminar wrote

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote

Would you fail?

incorrect, that depends on which highschool you go to. Highschool teachers have the freedom to alter their curriculum, good teachers actually listen to visiting university students. If you take those classes the first year university classes are a breeze.

+ 1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Illuminar Illuminar
I still disagree.

My intro econ professor told us that over the years there has generally been NO difference in the final grades between those who've taken AP Econ and those with no econ experience. He said that if anything, those without econ experience did slightly better.

I can't really say for accounting, because at my university literally no one takes accounting in high school. It's pointless. Even if you want to do business, you're better prepared for university by taking hard classes. Your competitive benefit in a university class, where the pace is faster and the material harder, will be very marginal.

Then again, I'm probably not the best judge of this because I didn't take high school accounting. Here's a practice final, someone let me know...

http://www.mediafire.com/?adidl7aybbl7m7c
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How are the prospects in Ontario (GTA) for someone who specializes in marketing/management stream? What sort of professional designations can be pursued in these areas in order to develop professionally and in turn receive a higher salary?

And what are the best schools to do this out of UTSC Co-op Management, Laurier BBA, Ivey?
Was this helpful? Yes 0