yconic - Going into Grade 12, what scholarships/awards to look out for?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Going into Grade 12, what scholarships/awards to look out for?

A photo of waazup waazup
So I just finished Gr.11
What awards/scholarships could I apply for this summer? I would prefer ones based on academics the most, but am willing to apply to as many as I can.

I should have 2 grade 12 courses completed by the end of July/starting of August, so I will have some grade 12 academic experience behind me.

So, anything to look out for? Also, just on the side note - how many awards does it say you are eligible for on the front page?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
From my memories applying to scholarships in grade 12, the only ones that are based solely or mostly on academics are the university entrance scholarships, some which are automatic, some which you apply. Most of the other awards require some sort of ECs or extensive ECs.

I received the majority of my scholarships from the U of A and the Alberta government. Of 27 scholarships I received, 12 were from the U of A, 12 were from the government, and 3 were external (I am counting scholarships that I received multiple times, as well as scholarship renewals)

My studentawards says I'm eligible for 70 awards. I have looked at them all and most of them don't really apply to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
Coming into the fall, you'll have just a few scholarships to look out for: TD scholarship, Loran scholarship..(maybe one I missed)...and then all your university applications. I strongly suggest you start figuring out where you would consider going, and then apply to a bunch of schools. COMPETITIVE SCHOLARSHIP DEADLINES ARE OFTEN WAY BEFORE REGULAR APPLICATION DEADLINES. For most students, the majority of your scholarship money comes from the school itself. I know that is the case for me: to date I've recieved about $62000 in scholarships...$55000 from my entrance scholarship to engineering at the U of C. I applied to Waterloo, and only got about $4000 in scholarships (although it's hard to find motivation to send them supporting docs when you've got the other money already lined up). You may hit a home run or you may strike out with a certain school, so if money is a deciding factor for you (perhaps paying your own way) then you may as well give yourself as many at-bats as you can. These applications are usually due in the winter, but when you've got that many essays to write it's a good idea to have started beforehand...

As you go through the year, there'll be other scholarships that pop up. My suggestion is to keep organized by storing everything in documents! Make one list of scholarships by month of due date. Anytime you find another, add in in there. Store every mini-essay you write for applications as well, because you will use them over and over again. Get your references to write a general letter for you, or better yet get them to give you an electronic copy and permission to change the name of the scholarship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ You a Schulich award winner? I got that too but went to U of A instead. Think I came out ahead money wise as a result.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
I'm eligible for 107, but most of them I actually have no interest in applying for. If you're interested in academic scholarships, most universities have automatic entrance awards for averages within a certain range (e.g. $5000 for 95%+, $3000 for 90-94.9%, etc.) The amount you get obviously depends on the university you apply for. These automatic awards do not require an additional application... they are calculated based on your top 6 marks which you send out to universities for admissions in grade 12. I heard Trent gives free tuition to anyone with an average over 90%!

If you have extensive leadership and/or community involvement, there are private organizations (Loran, TD, etc.) which offer very substantial scholarships. There are also a limited number of Major Entrance Awards that most universities offer which require an additional application.

If I were you I would google the universities that you're interested in applying to and checking out what they have to offer in terms of scholarships and seeing what their requirements are. Most of them are pretty similar (high grades, leadership, community involvement), but you might be able to find something else that appeals to your abilities/past experiences.

p.s. many of these awards are targeted to students with financial need or who are members of a visible minority, so if you are either you have a much better chance of actually winning.

p.p.s I'm also going in to grade 12. Message me up if you have any other questions! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@threepointonefour wrote

As you go through the year, there'll be other scholarships that pop up. My suggestion is to keep organized by storing everything in documents! Make one list of scholarships by month of due date. Anytime you find another, add in in there. Store every mini-essay you write for applications as well, because you will use them over and over again. Get your references to write a general letter for you, or better yet get them to give you an electronic copy and permission to change the name of the scholarship.

Great advice! I've already done something like that, but on a very brief note. I will definitely start doing something like this, to shape up my future applications and organize them so I don't have trouble applying to them. I'll have to start soon though, by the end of the summer I want to have a good idea of what I'll be applying to and what I need for the application.

@cherrypie725 wrote

If I were you I would google the universities that you're interested in applying to and checking out what they have to offer in terms of scholarships and seeing what their requirements are. Most of them are pretty similar (high grades, leadership, community involvement), but you might be able to find something else that appeals to your abilities/past experiences.

p.s. many of these awards are targeted to students with financial need or who are members of a visible minority, so if you are either you have a much better chance of actually winning.

p.p.s I'm also going in to grade 12. Message me up if you have any other questions! :D

Also some great advice, and yeah I will be researching about these unis. And I'll try my best to message you with any other questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bubblepenguin bubblepenguin
will scholarships look at outside activities in addition to academics?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@bubblepenguin wrote
will scholarships look at outside activities in addition to academics?

Yes, most of them will. And many require essays as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
I've changed my year to Grade 12 and looking to receive in "2012"/grade 12 also,

why does it say i only have 36 available? I thought there were hundreds.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of waazup waazup
Just checked on that website - it seems its only for undergrad+ students?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I found lots of scholarships listed on that site when I was in high school. You just have to dig
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@waazup wrote
I've changed my year to Grade 12 and looking to receive in "2012"/grade 12 also,

why does it say i only have 36 available? I thought there were hundreds.

There are very few scholarships offered for grade 12. In order to increase the number of scholarships on your profile, you have to say that you are looking to receive them in 2012 for 1st year university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@waazup wrote
Just checked on that website - it seems its only for undergrad+ students?

Not necessarily. For instance, when you click on a scholarship, look at years of study, it should says all years or entering first-year. These are the kind of scholarships you can apply for in the fall, when school starts. Did you mean applying now? Because of course, to get a scholarship you have to be going to a post-secondary institution. I provided the website based on the fact that you can start applying once you're in Grade 12. I find that website useful, just by looking at what many different scholarships that I plan to apply to in the fall. By the way, many scholarships specify one school of study, but look for the ones that state more than one, because you may not yet be sure of the university you plan to attend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted