yconic - Going into Medicine, which is more important? CHEMISTRY or BIOLOGY?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Going into Medicine, which is more important? CHEMISTRY or BIOLOGY?

A photo of lilyliu lilyliu
I have a question for those who are currently studying Health, Medical, Life, or BioMed Sciences in their undergraduate or are in medical school right now.

If someone intends to go into Medicine and be a doctor / surgeon, which do you think is more important: Chemistry or Biology?

I'm sure both are important, but based on your academic experiences, if you had to pick one, which do you think is more so in the overall scheme of things? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
To understand biology, you need a basic understanding of chemistry. That is about as far as chemistry is important to medicine. Biology is much more important.

I'm not in medicine; I'm in pharmacy, but we learn a lot of the same stuff (just with emphasis on different parts). And, actually, you'd expect chemistry to be more important to pharmacy than to medicine, but I still don't find chemistry all that important. I mean, like I just said, you have to understand the very basics (like anions and cations are attracted to one another, hydrogen bonds are weak, carbon-carbon bonds are strong, things flow from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration, etc...), but that's it. The most complicated chemistry you need to know relates to acid-base balance, but you don't need to know the math behind it, just the basic concepts (e.g. in acidic pH, acids are unionized and bases are ionized, and know that with a bit of understanding of how pKa factors in). Put another way, I would probably do poorly in high school chemistry, but I would do well in high school biology (even though, when I was in high school, I did better in chemistry than I did in biology). I could teach high school biology, but I wouldn't be able to teach high school chem. Chem is just not that important to me, as a pharmacy student.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uroosa uroosa
Biology in my point of view after seeing my brother go into health science and struggling with taking night school biology
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Bio.

I'm in health sci right now and the only chem that we have to take in the program is 1 year of gen chem in 1st year. But we have to take 1.5 years of cell bio, 1 year of anatomy and physiology, 1/2 year of psychobiology. And also 1/2 year of biochemical inquiry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Biology as I understand it.

There is little chemistry after the first year. Chemistry is definitely important to gain a full understanding for what you are learning in biology, but after solidifying your understanding on the basics which is required, there is very little you need of chemistry in your future.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of busterkomo busterkomo
Chemistry for sure. Chemistry requires conceptual understanding, whereas biology is just memorization.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chandlerowns Chandlerowns
Lol you obviously never took cell biology in mac health sci.

@busterkomo wrote
Chemistry for sure. Chemistry requires conceptual understanding, whereas biology is just memorization.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hannah.a.11 hannah.a.11
Both, major in which ever one you are better at and enjoy more but take some of other subject's courses on the side
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of UOITGrad UOITGrad
another stupid question

NEXT
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of redasangay redasangay
Biology is more important, you focus on living organisms which is what you do for medical sciences.
Was this helpful? Yes 1