yconic - Going to university with your high school friends?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Going to university with your high school friends?

A photo of jpotts jpotts
I'm going to UBC in the fall and I was wondering if going to university with some of your high school friends may be a hindrance? I'm from the island (Victoria area) and around 8 kids from my high school are going to UBC and we're all living on rez.

I really want to start over and reinvent myself, but I don't know if I can do that if I already know a lot of people. In all honesty, I was looking at university as a way to get away from everyone I ever knew. I like my friends and all (although I do feel like the outcast out of the loop all the time), but if I were to move away and never see them again, I'd be fine with it. I know UBC has a ton of entering students and that the campus is huge but I'm still pretty hesitant. I just need some reassurance.

Anyone have any insight?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of fearlessforever fearlessforever
if they ask to room with you, say that you have a cousin/family friend which whom your rooming with!! And when uni actually starts say they ending up dereffering their acceptance a year:) I'm in a similar situation where I dont wan't my highschool life to follow me, but I will deff stay close with my closest friends!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I know how you feel about wanting to start over. But UBC is a massive school (35 000+ students) and the campus is very extensive as well. You probably won't run into your high school friends very often, especially if you're not in the same faculties. I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are you'll all make other friends who you're even closer with.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@Zion wrote
I know how you feel about wanting to start over. But UBC is a massive school (35 000+ students) and the campus is very extensive as well. You probably won't run into your high school friends very often, especially if you're not in the same faculties. I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are you'll all make other friends who you're even closer with.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0