yconic - Going to Waterloo Comp Sci! What residence should I choose? How's the food?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Going to Waterloo Comp Sci! What residence should I choose? How's the food?

A photo of Antidote Antidote
I'm still considering if I should live in a suite or a dorm. It sounds to me that living in a dorm with a roommate is so much fun :P But I need comments on its meal plan! I went to Waterloo open house last November, and the food was really expensive and ... not that tasty :S so... yeah....
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of greygoose greygoose
Yes, the food is extremely expensive and it's really not great. If your heart's set on residence, I'd recommend going for suite-style. You still get to hang out with your roommates, and you have the flexibility of obtaining your own food.

The cheapest of the suite-style residences is UWP, and I'd argue it's the best located, as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Antidote Antidote

@greygoose wrote
Yes, the food is extremely expensive and it's really not great. If your heart's set on residence, I'd recommend going for suite-style. You still get to hang out with your roommates, and you have the flexibility of obtaining your own food.

The cheapest of the suite-style residences is UWP, and I'd argue it's the best located, as well.

So where do you usually get food then? Are there any cheap and nice Chinese restaurants around?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@Antidote wrote

@greygoose wrote

So where do you usually get food then? Are there any cheap and nice Chinese restaurants around?

There are many Chinese restaurants at the plaza. There is only 1 cheap place though, and it is actually pretty legit. The other ones at the plaza pack a lot of MSG and have very saucy dishes, if you like that.

Here are some popular pics: Panino's (this is a Chinese place that is too cheap to change the sign of the previous owner), Bubble Tease, China Legend, Sunshine Express, Panda King, Chen's, Taste of Taiwan. Those are pretty much all of the Chinese restos at the plaza. I recommend all of them, each of them have their own awesome dishes, prices are usually 7-10 dollars per meal, not that bad. It's definitely higher quality than the on-campus chinese place.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@Antidote wrote

Plenty of cheap Chinese restaurants around. I try to limit my consumption of that stuff... I would say most people will eat at the UW Plaza, where there are at least 20 different restaurants.

There are about 4 restaurants in the plaza that satisfy my dietary requirements of healthy and tasty, and none of them would ever cost more than $10 for a meal (unless I intentionally tried for that). There's also a few places in Uptown and near Laurier that I don't mind eating at, and one food services location I like to eat lunch at.

I've been awful the past couple of semesters, and eat out for pretty much every meal barring breakfast. And that's still cheaper than buying a meal plan ><
Was this helpful? Yes 0