yconic - Goodbye Waterloo Math... Hello McMaster Stats =)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Goodbye Waterloo Math... Hello McMaster Stats =)

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
anyone going to McMaster Stats?
I personally now think that McMaster values Math students more than Waterloo..

reasons?: waterloo...
1) don't care about advanced math courses (ie. trying to learn more stuff in high school)
2) doing well in Euclid counts for nothing .. or it seems this way =(

McMaster actually spends time looking at the courses that you took (level of difficulty) instead of just looking at your average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of blurX blurX
I understand your pains for not getting accepted to UW..but no matter where you go, you will succeed if you have the will and hard works. Good luck in McMaster.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of premachb premachb

@Luckey wrote

1) don't care about advanced math courses (ie. trying to learn more stuff in high school)

McMaster actually spends time looking at the courses that you took (level of difficulty) instead of just looking at your average.

I hate Waterloo as well, but not for the same reasons as you. If anything Waterloo is one of the only school who actually takes contests/difficulty of courses into account. Waterloo goes by INDIVIDUAL SELECTION, which means they take time to look at your application. There are not many schools who do this, McMaster probably being one of them.

Personally, I hate Waterloo because of where it is, Waterloo. The city sucks and there's nothing to do, I went there and felt instantly depressed last year.

What I'm trying to say is, don't think that any big school will really care about you personally (unless your pursuing some sort of research/innovation that will make the school more reputable). University and College unfortunately is just like any other business if you think about it. Really think about it.

Edit: That's not to say that small schools like Algoma won't. :P

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danselikeme danselikeme

@Luckey wrote

LMAO im going to mac stats i think. partly because i didnt get into AFM @ waterloo, but
i dont think mcmaster values math students over waterlooo. i think tis just an atmosphere thing and i know that wherever i go, if i work hard ill do well
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of flyingpig flyingpig

@premachb wrote

@Luckey wrote

I hate Waterloo as well, but not for the same reasons as you. If anything Waterloo is one of the only school who actually takes contests/difficulty of courses into account. Waterloo goes by INDIVIDUAL SELECTION, which means they take time to look at your application. There are not many schools who do this, McMaster probably being one of them.

Personally, I hate Waterloo because of where it is, Waterloo. The city sucks and there's nothing to do, I went there and felt instantly depressed last year.

What I'm trying to say is, don't think that any big school will really care about you personally (unless your pursuing some sort of research/innovation that will make the school more reputable). University and College unfortunately is just like any other business if you think about it. Really think about it.

Edit: That's not to say that small schools like Algoma won't. :P

Agree, you should check out UBC. They hoenstly don't ven care what harder courses you took, they only care about your averages.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
lol I wrote that after seeing "denyed" on my Quest account.
But I'm actually now excited to go to McMaster because a lot of my close friends are also going there (for a different program).

---------
Accepted: =D
McMaster University- Math and Stats Co-op
UT- Stats
UGuelph - Math and Stats (Co-op only program)
UOttawa - Stats Co-op

Rejected: ='(
University of Waterloo - Mathematics ... sigh
Was this helpful? Yes 0