yconic - Got 84 in English 11.. Should I retake if I am aiming for UBC?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Got 84 in English 11.. Should I retake if I am aiming for UBC?

A photo of xoxolinda xoxolinda
I really don't know... I took it in summer school, and was one of the highest. I doubt that anyone got an A.
If I retake it, I might get a better mark since I know the material.
But my friends tell me that it would be much harder in school.
I still don't know what courses I will be choosing for university, so I want to aim for the highest.
I will be, most likely, applying for UBC Commerce or Science.
Please help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
I would say that repeating English 11 is a waste of time for four main reasons:

1. Grade 11 marks only count towards early admission, and aren't used in calculating your top six average. Grade 12 English matters, however.
2. You will never know the material and assignments you get in English class, even if you repeat the same level course. Why? In English class, your teacher ultimately decides how the course is run, and will choose anything from novels, plays, and the assignments to follow up with it.
3. Grade 12 English doesn't build on Grade 11. You will end up studying completely different books and possibly do assignments that Grade 11 doesn't prepare you for. You don't necessarily study 'concepts' in English.
4. 84 is far from a terrible grade, especially if you were one of the highest. You simply had a teacher that didn't deal such a great set of marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xoxolinda xoxolinda
Thank you so much!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
Anytime.
Was this helpful? Yes 0