yconic - Got Questions about Queen's Commerce? Ask here!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Got Questions about Queen's Commerce? Ask here!

A photo of Alex22 Alex22
Hey fellow students,

I am a brand new first year commerce student at Queen's University.

If any of you prospective students have any general questions about the Commerce Program or the admission process, I'd be happy to answer any of them.

Ask away!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of spiritswords spiritswords
hi, what was your top 6 average and how many ECs were you involved in? thanks :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
What's more important, the amount of EC's you do, or the quality of your PSE? I really haven't done many EC's, but I've played rep hockey for 12 years now (never on the school team though lol), done pretty well at math contests (does only Waterloo care about these?), and VP of math club for 2 years. I've done other stuff like exchange programs, but I'm pretty worried that I haven't done MANY things, but the few things I've done have taken up a lot of my time (mostly hockey lol, 4-5 nights a week at one point). I think I can write a good quality PSE, but will my lack of EC's hurt me?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ManUtd123 ManUtd123

@Alex22 wrote
Hey fellow students,

I am a brand new first year commerce student at Queen's University.

If any of you prospective students have any general questions about the Commerce Program or the admission process, I'd be happy to answer any of them.

Ask away!

Hey, I appreciate you answering us grade 12s our questions!

I'm wondering if a 90 average is a competitive mark? I also have a question about ECs, how important are they in the admission process? I virtually have no ECs except for some volunteer work and minimal job experience. Would that really hurt my chances of getting accepted into Queens Commerce? Would the essays that I write balance out my lack of ECs? Also, does anyone have a link to the essay questions that we have to answer?

Thanks, a lot!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Alex22 Alex22
Hey guys,

So my top 6 average was exactly 90.0%. Make sure that you keep your calculus, advanced functions, and english are all above 80%.

My ECs were:
-Student Council Executive
-Owned a Fundraiser raising $3000 for local charities
-Creator and Chief Editor of Newspaper Committee
-Drama Production Stage Crew Head
-Leadership Camp Organizer
-Social Awareness Head Member
-Peer Mentor

And I worked part-time at Staples for 2 years. Be sure to mention your employment - it helps.

Only Waterloo cares about your Math contests, unless you done really well you can put it on your PSE.

Just try your best to fill up your PSE with whatever you can. If there are extra spaces just put little things to fill it up. Be sure to include your employment because it asks for how many hours it took up - so it can show how much of a commitment it was.

to ManUtd123, any mark over a 87 is competitive, i got in with a 90. ECs matter just as much as your 90. You MUST get involved right away to improve that part of your PSE. Also, Essay's are probably 25% of the admission process, so be sure to make that perfect to. I referenced successful alumni and the power Queens can provide to me and my pursuit to commerce, so try including that.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heyppl123 heyppl123
for final acceptance(not early acceptance) will they only look at top 6 marks? is it okay to have 6 marks as 90s while other courses are 50s? thanks in advance
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Alex22 Alex22

@heyppl123 wrote
for final acceptance(not early acceptance) will they only look at top 6 marks? is it okay to have 6 marks as 90s while other courses are 50s? thanks in advance

Its always top 6, but the top 6 have to include english, calc, and advanced functions
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mckenzie7 mckenzie7
just wondering what make queens commerce better/worse that the other business programs and what queens is like in general? I have a ton of friends who attend the school but am not doing a tour until the open house on Nov 11 and i really would like a description because all of my friends who go there are in engineering or arts.

Any replies would be great.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SuperSolo SuperSolo
What do you think about Queens Economics in comparison to Commerce? Is it true they get hired less? Do you know if they get to take some commerce electives as well?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ren416 Ren416
Hey Alex22, since the main theme is on leadership, I was wondering if running like sunday schools for my church every week counts. And also, did you apply to any other schools and if so which of them did you get accepted? And do you have to go into detail about a few of your E/Cs or just list a bunch of them?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NoToRiouSDIP NoToRiouSDIP
QCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi I have a question.

If I'm applying for the Chancellor's scholarship award, do I need to fill out an application to Queen's as well later? Or does this exempt me from that?

All it asks is for 2 x 400 word essays/writeups and other info obviously. Can someone help me, even better, PM me and such about what I need to know?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JonathanEtienne JonathanEtienne
Hello Alex,
Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions; we greatly appreciate it.

Does Queens put greater emphasize on grades because my average is only 84. It is low because I spent a good amount of time, building myself a strong professional background and invested a lot in extra-cellar activities (60 recognized volunteer hours will be added to my official college transcript, plus i was a note taker for 3 month last session).

I am saying this for I find it unfair that the nerd who does nothing but study, who doesn't go out and have parents paying him tutors gets mid 90s and automatic acceptance. I have worked has a contract administrator for the world leader in energy management this summer has a full-time paying job. I am not praising myself but lets admit, when you have a job and is highly involved in the community and competition ( i am on 3 competition now, Laurier investment, sunlife higher level math competition and public speaking intercollegiate 20m speech). With all that, getting 84 with a perfect 100 in fundamentals of business (79 class average) is impressive but will probably get refuted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@JonathanEtienne wrote
Hello Alex,
Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions; we greatly appreciate it.

Does Queens put greater emphasize on grades because my average is only 84. It is low because I spent a good amount of time, building myself a strong professional background and invested a lot in extra-cellar activities (60 recognized volunteer hours will be added to my official college transcript, plus i was a note taker for 3 month last session).

I am saying this for I find it unfair that the nerd who does nothing but study, who doesn't go out and have parents paying him tutors gets mid 90s and automatic acceptance. I have worked has a contract administrator for the world leader in energy management this summer has a full-time paying job. I am not praising myself but lets admit, when you have a job and is highly involved in the community and competition ( i am on 3 competition now, Laurier investment, sunlife higher level math competition and public speaking intercollegiate 20m speech). With all that, getting 84 with a perfect 100 in fundamentals of business (79 class average) is impressive but will probably get refuted.

You brought up some fair points in your post. But honestly, the grade standards at QC/Ivey/etc. are already VERY low for a top-tier business program. It's not too much to ask for to get a high 80s in high school, seriously.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of NoToRiouSDIP NoToRiouSDIP

@JonathanEtienne wrote
Hello Alex,

get an 87 average to meet the cutoff, its not that difficult. after all, queens is a university, and if you dont like/are not good at school, go straight into the workplace or college. furthermore... get off your high horse and stop bragging please and thank you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JonathanEtienne JonathanEtienne
I think many of you miss my point. I am not in high school but in the commerce program at my college. But i got the point.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of questionstoask questionstoask
Hi, I'm in Grade 12 and I am going to apply to Queen's commerce this year.
I will have calculus/vectors and advanced functions as my two required maths.
(So I don't need to do data right?)
Is there going to be an issue because I did not take high school data management?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of reb8260 reb8260
Hi! I am in Grade 12 and want to apply for the Queen's commerce program this year.
Is a 91+ average competitive? I have an 84% in English so I am worried because Queen's seems to focus a lot on English. How important are EC? I am not extremely involved. I joined the school's leadership program, mathematics club, DECA and three others. I have approximately 300 community service hours but no job experience. What about the personal statement and the essays? What are the requirements?

Thank you :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@reb8260 wrote
Hi! I am in Grade 12 and want to apply for the Queen's commerce program this year.
Is a 91+ average competitive? I have an 84% in English so I am worried because Queen's seems to focus a lot on English. How important are EC? I am not extremely involved. I joined the school's leadership program, mathematics club, DECA and three others. I have approximately 300 community service hours but no job experience. What about the personal statement and the essays? What are the requirements?

Thank you :)

87+ is already "competitive". A ~92 will make yourself eligible for admittance to almost all business undergraduate programs, save a couple such as Math CA. I would strive for that 92 if you want a little bit of cushion or breathing room. Unlike extra-curriculars, grades are a lot more objective to look at.

That being said, QC admission really does depend on your extra-curriculars and your PSE. You should defintely try to get more EC's. Also, if the application is anything like it was last year, there's actually not an awful lot of room for explanation of your duties/accomplishments (it was 140 characters last year). I also don't believe there's minimum requirement specifically for English, so don't worry about that.

P.S. try to become nominated for Chancellor's Scholarship, which will grant you almost automatic admission into commerce
Was this helpful? Yes 0