yconic - Gr. 12 Accounting Contests
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Gr. 12 Accounting Contests

A photo of AliBouHamya AliBouHamya
I am a grade 12 student in Ottawa and I am going to write the OBEA Accounting Competition and the CA COIN Challenge. They are both multiple choice. I was wondering if anyone has taken them before and can tell me how it is and the level of difficulty of the questions. Thanks ahead of time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of g93 g93
The OBEA one is a joke. Three of us at our school wrote it last year a few months after taking accounting, did absolutely zero studying for it, completed it as fast as we could, and gave joke answers for the tie-breaking question. One of us finished in 2nd or 3rd and one of us was 5th or 7th or something (I really don't remember).

The COIN contest is more competitive. It's much better because you get to go down to a local CATO office and write it there. It's not that hard to do well on (if you study or are taking accounting at the same time it would be quite easy). There's also a bunch of cash prizes and if you are top-20 you get to go down to Toronto and meet with a bunch of CAs from various accounting firms and get food and stuff. If you do hope to get there you'll have to study.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the information. I am going to try and get 1st in both. Also is there any things on them that are not in the curriculum? And what is the majority of the questions about? Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
It's mostly what you would see from MC questions in your Grade 12 accounting class. Covers ratios/journal entries/reasoning/financial statement presentation/etc. The majority of stuff you will have covered in Grade 11 and 12 Accounting, however for the OBEA one there were some ratios I had never heard of before (I don't know if they're somewhat-common or what) and I know the ICAO one covers cash flow statements (not much on them though) and bonds. Apparently not many schools get through these two topics, but some cover both (like mine).

Good luck!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Alright, Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Thanks for the info g93. I'm planning to write both as well. Their registration is due in like, April right? Plenty of time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yea, I also think for COIN it is in early may for the last chance to register. But you have to register first on their website and pay $5 to become an ambassador or something then you can sign up. I see where they get the prize money from.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of loohopefull94 loohopefull94
how do you register for the OBEA
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@AliBouHamya wrote
Yea, I also think for COIN it is in early may for the last chance to register. But you have to register first on their website and pay $5 to become an ambassador or something then you can sign up. I see where they get the prize money from.

Yes Coin was in late May, I think the deadline was late April though last year.

Also you guys should look into the ICAO No Limits Conference- the ICAO team and a whole bunch of industry professionals are there to provide you with information and answer questions. Plus there's food (and it's good). You do have to pay, but it's totally worth it. There was one in Toronto, one in K-W, one in London and one in Ottawa last year I think.

@loohopefull94 wrote

I'm not really sure. My teacher signed a few of us up. I would suggest talking to your accounting teacher- they usually get stuff sent to them about stuff like this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yea, the teacher is the one that can sign up to 5 people per class. Also these conferences, are they help in CATO's?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@AliBouHamya wrote
Also these conferences, are they help in CATO's?

I'm not sure what you're asking here, sorry. Care to reword?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Are they done/held in CA Offices?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@AliBouHamya wrote
Are they done/held in CA Offices?

Yes, they are held at CATOs. The Waterloo writers went to the local PWC office, for example.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ok do you know how much it is?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred

@AliBouHamya wrote
I am a grade 12 student in Ottawa and I am going to write the OBEA Accounting Competition and the CA COIN Challenge. They are both multiple choice. I was wondering if anyone has taken them before and can tell me how it is and the level of difficulty of the questions. Thanks ahead of time.

There are... accounting competitions now?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@AliBouHamya wrote

Yes Coin was in late May, I think the deadline was late April though last year.

Also you guys should look into the ICAO No Limits Conference- the ICAO team and a whole bunch of industry professionals are there to provide you with information and answer questions. Plus there's food (and it's good). You do have to pay, but it's totally worth it. There was one in Toronto, one in K-W, one in London and one in Ottawa last year I think.

@loohopefull94 wrote

I'm not really sure. My teacher signed a few of us up. I would suggest talking to your accounting teacher- they usually get stuff sent to them about stuff like this.

When is this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@AliBouHamya wrote
Ok do you know how much it is?

I can't remember if it was free as a High School Ambassador or not (you had to be one to go to it though). If you had to pay, it would have been $5-20 or something. Certainly not more.

[QUOTE=rightsaidfred]There are... accounting competitions now?[/quote]
Yes, what's wrong with that?

[QUOTE=2Seven]When is this?[/QUOTE]
I assume you are referring to the No Limits Conference. The one in Waterloo was May 5, and they were all roughly from late April to mid May I think.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So, OBEA is done with the school and supervision of the teacher, and ICAO is done on our own time at the CATO offices.

Correct?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes, that is correct.
Was this helpful? Yes 0