yconic - Gr. 12 Courses Question
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Gr. 12 Courses Question

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
What grade 12 courses would best prepare me for a university business program. I'm in grade 11 and I know I would need certain courses for certain programs. Next year I'll be taking advanced functions, calculus, data management, economics, accounting, english and religion/philosophy (because I go to a catholic school -_-). That leaves me with one spare and I think I might fill that with either international business or sports and entertainment marketing. Which would be better? I understand that high school business is not like university business but just help me please.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

From what I heard from my Econ teacher and students in first year university grade 12 econ is almost identical to first year econ at uni, so it is a great course to take. International business is extremely easy and if you need a mark boost, international business is great for that. If you like sports, sports marketing isn't a bad course either, but i did not enjoy it because there is a lot of memorizing of concepts and theories plus half the classes we were listening to presentations.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

If your school offers it, I would recommend you take Business Leadership-Management Fundamentals (BOH4M). I am currently taking the course, and the concepts taught offer a breadth of business education. I was in a similar position to you, as I was choosing between management fundamentals and international business. I was told that management is an excellent preparation for a first year in a business program, whereas international business is more of an "average booster". Although, management is relatively easy to achieve well over 90% in.

Assuming your school offers the course, I highly recommend it from personal experience. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@DwayneMVPwade wrote
From what I heard from my Econ teacher and students in first year university grade 12 econ is almost identical to first year econ at uni, so it is a great course to take. International business is extremely easy and if you need a mark boost, international business is great for that. If you like sports, sports marketing isn't a bad course either, but i did not enjoy it because there is a lot of memorizing of concepts and theories plus half the classes we were listening to presentations.

++++ Because of the NBA lockout, we didnt even get to go to see a Raptors game which sucked
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BudsFan94 BudsFan94
Take:

English
Data Management
Advanced Functions
Calculus & Vectors
Accounting
Economics
Finance (if offered)
Philosophy (It's better than religion, trust me)

+You can take virtual school philosophy through the public school board in the summer so you can take a spare or another course during the year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

My school doesn't offer finance but we do have management fundamentals. And DwayneMVPwade, my accounting teacher, the one who would be teaching sports and entertainment marketing, is a body guard at the ACC =).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@JohnnyBoi wrote
My school doesn't offer finance but we do have management fundamentals. And DwayneMVPwade, my accounting teacher, the one who would be teaching sports and entertainment marketing, is a body guard at the ACC =).

Thats sick. My sports marketing teacher was the cricket coach. All his examples he used to explain the concepts were cricket based and I have no idea how to play cricket and never watched a game of cricket.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of torontoeconomist torontoeconomist
I would definitely say as much difficult maths as possible.

The soft stuff like basic Econ theory and Business concepts can be picked up easily along the way. The maths, though, isn't.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The option of keeping the spare to focus on other classes is always there. How does that sound? Or that full disclosure thing, but I'm not exactly sure how that works.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super

@JohnnyBoi wrote
The option of keeping the spare to focus on other classes is always there. How does that sound? Or that full disclosure thing, but I'm not exactly sure how that works.

Do test your classes out. I took a full 8 courses (non-semestered) and dropped 2 which I most disliked/less likely to succeed in and took spares.

I went more than 2 months in before the full disclosure thing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0