yconic - Gr 12 English in Summer School Is Bad ?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Gr 12 English in Summer School Is Bad ?

A photo of coldplay coldplay
Okay, so I'm taking summer school for grade 12 English starting tomorrow, and people like my guidance counsellor have warned me that it's bad. Why do universities frown upon students taking gr 12 English in summer school and which universities/university programs do? I plan to go into life sciences, and I've checked with possible universities I plan to apply to, and they're all okay with summer school courses, but I still have that hint of fear because so many people tell me that it's not a good idea.
Help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of bluehairedpeople bluehairedpeople
from what i've heard people actually do alot better in summer coarses than in actual school. i don't see why it would be looked down upon, your thinking ahead and making your workload next year easier.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of ktel ktel
The idea is that some universities may look upon your application negatively because it is known to be easier in the summer. I don't think that many universities actually care though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of unigirl123101 unigirl123101
You have to remember that the people who review your application are PEOPLE. Summer school is easier, and that is a widely known fact. Even if they are told to disregard that fact, it may still influence their decistion.It's the same with online courses.

I would not recommend summer school for anyone unless absolutely necessary!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xoblackout xoblackout

@unigirl123101 wrote
You have to remember that the people who review your application are PEOPLE. Summer school is easier, and that is a widely known fact. Even if they are told to disregard that fact, it may still influence their decistion.It's the same with online courses.

summer school isn't always easier.
my friend's summer school teacher average was a 70.
i have a teacher right now that told him right off the bat that he's not a lazy marker like the other summer school teachers; he says to drop it if we believe that this course is going to be easy like everyone says.

it depends on the teacher.
unluckily, i got the bad one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
Funny, I have not heard of any universities that frown upon summer school. On the other hand, they do frown upon private school. Summer school grades are usually easier, but not always. It depends on how your teacher likes to teach the course, and since English is the most subjective subject (that sounded funny), it does have slightly more risk than other subjects. You may be required to read novels really quickly and be expected to know the content. I'm not completely sure. I did have a friend who did get a much higher grade in summer school English than achieved in semester school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of coldplay coldplay

@xoblackout wrote

@unigirl123101 wrote

summer school isn't always easier.
my friend's summer school teacher average was a 70.
i have a teacher right now that told him right off the bat that he's not a lazy marker like the other summer school teachers; he says to drop it if we believe that this course is going to be easy like everyone says.

it depends on the teacher.
unluckily, i got the bad one.

omg, I'm in the same position, our teacher seems like a really hard marker because of the way he talks, he sounds really intelligent and educated. And I was hoping to do really well in summer school, and now the chances are decreasing. This sucks :( On top of that, I'm so lonely in my class, I don't know anyone!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of d0nut d0nut
Trust me, in summer school it really depends on who your teacher is. I have been taking summer school for 3 days now and I absolutely hate it. My teacher doesn't believe in giving out 90's (which is what I'm striving for!!) and so I decided to drop out. Why would I work IMMENSELY hard in a condensed one-month course when I could do the same course over a 5 month period during regular school and actually understand what I'm doing?

Think about it. Everyone always assumes summer school is the easy way out and sometimes it can be, but for the most part it's better (for university applications and for yourself) to take it during day school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jschiralli jschiralli
it's not the best idea because english is the one course that you have to take all four years of high school. you need it to get into any university, obviously. and summer courses are always easier, they don't go into as much depth with the material as they would if you were just taking it normally during the school year. but it all really depends on what you want to go into. i think you should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of Kaff Kaff

@superstar2011 wrote
Funny, I have not heard of any universities that frown upon summer school. On the other hand, they do frown upon private school. Summer school grades are usually easier, but not always. It depends on how your teacher likes to teach the course, and since English is the most subjective subject (that sounded funny), it does have slightly more risk than other subjects. You may be required to read novels really quickly and be expected to know the content. I'm not completely sure. I did have a friend who did get a much higher grade in summer school English than achieved in semester school.

why do they frown upon private school? i've never heard that before
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of harmony harmony

@jschiralli wrote
it's not the best idea because english is the one course that you have to take all four years of high school. you need it to get into any university, obviously. and summer courses are always easier, they don't go into as much depth with the material as they would if you were just taking it normally during the school year. but it all really depends on what you want to go into. i think you should be fine.

Hmm..weird..actually I'm taking gr12 english myself and I find you actually learns more in summer school than in a regular school year. Seriously, I feel I've been learning more in these 4 days than my entire semester in gr.11..lol..

I'm kinda nervous too, our mid summer school report card come out next week..
Our teacher is kinda chill..but..I'm not sure how he marks..
but we don't write as much essay..only 2 essays..lol..we analyze literature more..
good luck to everyone who's in summer school! Gotta fight it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Kaff wrote

@superstar2011 wrote

why do they frown upon private school? i've never heard that before

To enrol in a course in private school, you pay the school a sizeable amount of money for an easy grade. If you ask a university, they'll tell you that it's basically a cheat. I don't know if private schools are THIS extreme, but in a Maclean's article I once read, some student did a grade 12 English course over a weekend and had a grade in the 90's. This is theoretically impossible since Ontario high school courses are designed to be 110 hours in length. I don't know how private schools work, but there were a number of articles on it. The last digit for a course taken in private school is P (so private school English in grade 12 would be ENG4UP), and any course code with that letter at the end raises red flags.

So what makes universities think it's 'cheating'? In the past, universities did not get to look at the last letter in a course code. So English would just be ENG4U. But now that they do, they took note that students who earned their grades in private school were incapable and had to be kicked out due to lack of knowledge, aptitude and study habits. This is why the letter 'P' in the 6th digit is a red flag. It does look like one after all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xoblackout xoblackout

@d0nut wrote
Trust me, in summer school it really depends on who your teacher is. I have been taking summer school for 3 days now and I absolutely hate it. My teacher doesn't believe in giving out 90's (which is what I'm striving for!!) and so I decided to drop out. Why would I work IMMENSELY hard in a condensed one-month course when I could do the same course over a 5 month period during regular school and actually understand what I'm doing?

Think about it. Everyone always assumes summer school is the easy way out and sometimes it can be, but for the most part it's better (for university applications and for yourself) to take it during day school.

im thinking about dropping too.
my teacher BARELY gives out 90s, and i'm not doing too well in his class. (well, we just had one quiz.. lol)

the thing is, i never get below 85 on English. I think summer school will be the only class where I will...

should i drop it like you did? im missing out on a summer for a course where i might not even get the grade i deserve.

yet, i'm still holding onto hope that maybe he'll give me a really good grade. i'll wait until our midterm exam to decide.

I HATE SUMMER SCHOOL... it's NOT easy. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@xoblackout wrote

@d0nut wrote

my teacher BARELY gives out 90s, and i'm not doing too well in his class. (well, we just had one quiz.. lol)

the thing is, i never get below 85 on English. I think summer school will be the only class where I will...

should i drop it like you did? im missing out on a summer for a course where i might not even get the grade i deserve.

yet, i'm still holding onto hope that maybe he'll give me a really good grade. i'll wait until our midterm exam to decide.

If you never had below an 85%, but feel like it now, you probably should drop it. If you don't, here's a list of things you give up: time (commute, work, study prep, class time, etc. that could be used for things like enjoying your summer, going on vacation, doing part-time jobs, etc.), a chance that you may have to redo the course, and all the materials you use throughout the course. If you feel you're missing out on all this, I would say drop it as soon as you can, before full disclosure. I wouldn't want to spend time writing useless papers and studying for useless tests and quizzes that won't be graded to my expectation. Although I've never been in your situation it sounds sounds tough. If you don't have to do this, then don't do it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela
I'm taking grade 12 English right now as well, summer school is not as easy as many people say. As stated before, it all comes down to the teacher you have. My teacher believes that 70% is a good and reasonable average for the course and I am aiming for a 95+ for grade 12 English. I achieved 98 in grade 11 English, and I find the workload extremely overwhelming. It is safe to say that if I get lower than 90% when midterm marks come out, I am DEFINITELY dropping the course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran
You think summer school is hard? Ok then good luck next year buddy.
Esp if youre taking all 3 sciences and 1 or more maths, its a bigger jump than you think.
Unless of course, your work ethics are marvelous and youre completely ready for uni.
Eng summer school saved so many lives this year, I can't remember how many of my friends came to me saying "omg I should've taken summer school with you, I can't handle this work load!!". This is coming from kids who were take business and arts courses...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@superstar2011 wrote

@xoblackout wrote

@d0nut wrote

If you never had below an 85%, but feel like it now, you probably should drop it. If you don't, here's a list of things you give up: time (commute, work, study prep, class time, etc. that could be used for things like enjoying your summer, going on vacation, doing part-time jobs, etc.), a chance that you may have to redo the course, and all the materials you use throughout the course. If you feel you're missing out on all this, I would say drop it as soon as you can, before full disclosure. I wouldn't want to spend time writing useless papers and studying for useless tests and quizzes that won't be graded to my expectation. Although I've never been in your situation it sounds sounds tough. If you don't have to do this, then don't do it!

LOL I think you just convinced ME to drop out.
I think if you're getting a lot less than your usual mark for English, you should drop out now, unless you have a really difficult course load next year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Uncotran wrote
Esp if youre taking all 3 sciences and 1 or more maths, its a bigger jump than you think.
Unless of course, your work ethics are marvelous and youre completely ready for uni.
Eng summer school saved so many lives this year, I can't remember how many of my friends came to me saying "omg I should've taken summer school with you, I can't handle this work load!!". This is coming from kids who were take business and arts courses...

You haven't met these teachers. I haven't met them either. Teachers can make summer school hard, especially if the course is English.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Anonymous wrote

@superstar2011 wrote

@xoblackout wrote

@d0nut wrote

LOL I think you just convinced ME to drop out.
I think if you're getting a lot less than your usual mark for English, you should drop out now, unless you have a really difficult course load next year.

I'm sorry to hear that. Are there a lot of brutal summer school teachers nowadays?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran

@superstar2011 wrote

@Uncotran wrote

You haven't met these teachers. I haven't met them either. Teachers can make summer school hard, especially if the course is English.

Regardless, its summer school. You've got a whole month to dedicate yourself to one topic.
If you work hard like you're supposed to in day school, you should do fine.
Of course if you've got crappy work ethics then yea, its hard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Uncotran wrote

@superstar2011 wrote

@Uncotran wrote

Regardless, its summer school. You've got a whole month to dedicate yourself to one topic.
If you work hard like you're supposed to in day school, you should do fine.
Of course if you've got crappy work ethics then yea, its hard.

Theoretically, yes, you should do fine in summer school with good work ethics. Too bad it doesn't always happen. Ask the students who are struggling right now in summer school, and have always achieved really high in English in day school. Some teachers can really push you overboard, since English is very much to the teacher's discretion. Also, the fact that all your concentration is on English can actually be a struggle for some students. Since all the course material is compressed to one month, it would mean speed reading novels and coming up with themes much faster than they would in day school, when they get more time to think. Not all students can manage summer school better, either.
Was this helpful? Yes 0