yconic - Grad School - Specialization?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grad School - Specialization?

A photo of Rourachnitchai Rourachnitchai
What are my chances of getting into a good graduate school for psychology if I double major (7 full course credits in each subject) in philosophy and psychology? Will I be at a severe disadvantage if I do not take 10 credits and "specialize"? I would eventually like to get into a school like McGill, Waterloo, Queens or Toronto.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of theboydetective theboydetective
" The GRE is the standardized test that aspirants to graduate school take and the score on that test strongly affects acceptance. While you might not be surprised to discover that Philosophy majors do well on the GRE, you might be surprised to see how well they do.
On the Verbal Reasoning portion of the GRE, Philosophy majors score the HIGHEST of all majors, higher even than English and Literature majors.
On the Quantitative Reasoning portion of the GRE, Philosophy majors score the HIGHEST of all humanities majors, coming in behind only Math, Physics, Engineering Economics, and Chemistry.
On the Analytical Writing portion of the GRE, Philosophy majors score the HIGHEST of all majors. Source.
In general, Philosophy majors score 17.6% higher on the verbal GRE than other majors and 4.6% higher on the quantitative GRE."

If anything, it will probably increase your chance of getting into grad school (however, I guess this is more concerned with US grad school, though Canadian ones are more than likely acquainted with these statistics). I'm thinking of doing something similar myself (was planning on doing Cognitive Science before, but I only recently learned about Ontario's system, so thinking philosophy and psych too). My goal is the EGS. Canadian graduate school sounds more meritocratic than undergrad. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduate_school#Canada
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nicoleh260 nicoleh260
does taking on a double major add a lot more stress to university life?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rourachnitchai Rourachnitchai
A second major just eats up your electives. If you like the second subject passionately I don't think it should be a "daunting" task.

I'm not so concerned with the graduate entrance exam as I am with the required coursework to be a viable PhD candidate. Queen's, for example, accepts 4 or 5 out of 120 applicants to their clinical psychology program. Psychology is one of the most popular majors and grad school admission is competitive. I'd like to use those three courses extra courses to get my double major in philosophy but I'd like to know how much "it would cost me" in the long run with admissions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
A double major isn't more work, and, yes, it does eat up your electives - but if you have a strong interest in another area, then you'd end up taking courses in that area as your electives anyway.

What is important when applying to competitive graduate programs is that you have some form of research experience. This can come in the form of volunteering for or working with a professor and/or through a fourth-year thesis or research project course. Sometimes, depending on your program/school, you need to be specializing in a program to do a thesis course; majoring will not allow you to take the thesis course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0