yconic - Grad School
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grad School

A photo of DoubtTruth DoubtTruth
Would anyone be able to offer me advice on what to do in my situation:

I recently graduated with an honours B.A. in psychology from McMaster. My average is somewhere between 73%-76% (an 8.4 both for cumulative over 4 years and the 5 courses in my final year that were compulsory). I received an 11(85.00%-89.99%) for my undergraduate thesis course. I did not apply for grad school in time and want to apply for September 2012.

I've considered coming back as a continuing student to raise my average, however I've found out that OSAP does not cover continuing students. As a result I will need to come up with over $6000 in tution not to mention expenses some other way.

My question is this, is it worth it for me to come back for a 5th year, considering the trouble I'll be going through in trying to find the >$6000 in funds just to raise my average to improve my chances of getting into grad school? Or is an 8.4 (~74%) sufficient for me to be accepted by some Universities in southern Ontario??

I should also mention that I want to get into a Grad Program in Psychology.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Your GPA is right on the cut off for most universities. They typically require a 3.0 minimum GPA, and you're right above that using this chart: http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/education-planning/virtual-resources/gpa-conversion-chart

Now other than giving you that advice, I have no idea about psychology grad programs. You could try http://forum.thegradcafe.com where there are many more grad students, but most of them are from the states. That being said it could give you some insight.
Was this helpful? Yes 0