yconic - Grad School/Jobs/Blog
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grad School/Jobs/Blog

A photo of Ava Ava
I recently graduated from UofT with a double major in Political Science and ES&L. I got into LSE for grad school. I requested to defer the offer for a year because of high tuition/living expenses, but did not get the deferral...my offer will expire soon
Now I am looking for a job/planning to apply to Canadian schools which are cheaper.
Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could do in my year off? Where to look for a job with good pay? A paid master's program perhaps?
And I'm in the process of creating a blog, if interested ,please visit: www.poliscigrads.blogspot.com
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I wouldn't suggest you do a Master's without funding, although if your credentials aren't up to snuff that might not be possible. You also should apply for SSHRC funding, if eligible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If money is an issue, definitely look for a job. Finding a job with good pay will usually take you several months at least (I know grads who took almost a year to find a job that paid them decently). Since you only have a year, you might have to settle for whatever you can get -- temporary contract work is probably ideal for your situation right now. Check your school's career centre and try to contact your connections if you have any.

Try an internship, even if it is unpaid, in whatever you plan to do for good work experience. Internships translate into valuable work experience that will help you land the job you want in the future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ava Ava
I might apply to Canadian schools, a lot of the programs I've been looking at are not funded to begin with, so credentials do not affect it. Anyone know of any schools that pay for master's in poli sci? In Ontario?
Or a school that is relatively easy to get into? I don't mind completing a master's program at a university with low-mid reputation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Go to thegradcafe.com, they can help you a lot more with grad school questions. I know nothing about political science programs, but I know there must be some out there that are funded. I'm of the personal opinion that paying for a Master's yourself is just not worth it, especially in a humanities field.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ava Ava
Thanks! I went on thegradcafe.com and there is some useful info there...
I still would like to know if anyone knows of specific schools/programs in Ontario that would be suitable (in polisci/international relations/human rights), I'm looking for something affordable or better yet, a paid master's.
Also, are there any poli sci grads who have managed to find a decent job? I'm looking for something temporary but with good pay and not having any luck.
Last but not least, are there any blog experts out there?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Hopefully someone can answer your question, but almost all of the people on this forum are either in high school or 1st or 2nd year university. I can only think of a handful of people who are graduated or in grad school, and none for polisci that I know of.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Ava wrote

I still would like to know if anyone knows of specific schools/programs in Ontario that would be suitable (in polisci/international relations/human rights), I'm looking for something affordable or better yet, a paid master's.

Unfortunately, funding for master's programs in the humanities is very limited (most of the money goes to the PhD students, but I'm sure you're aware of that). If your grades are top notch, you might have a shot at getting a tuition waiver or some sort of funding, and you'd also be eligible for applying to merit-based scholarships for graduate programs. But if you've just met the minimum GPA requirements, you're in a tough spot. Have you looked into TA assistantships? That's also a typical source of income for graduate students.

Also, are there any poli sci grads who have managed to find a decent job? I'm looking for something temporary but with good pay and not having any luck.
Last but not least, are there any blog experts out there?

I have good friends who did their degrees in poli sci. I can't remember if any found a job, as most of them went to law school. What is your standard of "good pay"? If you have prior work experience, especially in a field that's in demand right now -- technology, etc. -- you can probably find something above minimum wage, but if not, you'll probably have to start from the bottom. It's tough to find a job these days. Don't despair and keep looking. Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ava Ava
Well initially, I was looking for a job so I could save enough and go to LSE the following year (2012/2013), I wasn’t going to rely solely on money earned form the temporary job, but it would have helped. Now I've come to realize that I was being far too optimistic. LSE didn't defer my offer, so it will expire in a matter of days, and I haven't found a job... I'm basically back where I was last year. I have to go through the same process all over again. I don’t even know if I can get references from the same profs again, 2 of them are gone!
I'm trying to find programs that are not too competitive and paid/less expensive, but to no avail!

I've compiled a list of schools I *might* be applying to...

- McGill- This is what they say on their website: "The department typically receives between 350-450 total applications for an entering MA class of 25-35 "
- UofT- Similar, most programs have waitlists too
- York?
- Glendon? Don't know if I have "working knowledge" of French, have to write the test.
-Ottawa?

Oh and yes, most master's programs in polisci are not funded!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lms lms
aren't graduate schools in Uoft fully funded in a package of scholarships and TAships? it says so in several departments I have looked at, like sociology and geography. I met someone who was in an Urban Planning master's program, ad she confirmed this (although professional degrees, like hers, are not funded).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@lms wrote
aren't graduate schools in Uoft fully funded in a package of scholarships and TAships? it says so in several departments I have looked at, like sociology and geography. I met someone who was in an Urban Planning master's program, ad she confirmed this (although professional degrees, like hers, are not funded).

Most are, but not all. My program is.

This page has a PDF that shows what programs were funded in 2010-11: http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/informationfor/students/money/funding.htm

Was this helpful? Yes 0