yconic - grade 10 and worried about the future?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

grade 10 and worried about the future?

A photo of ccarolineh ccarolineh
I am currently in grade ten with a 93 average hoping to pursue a job in the business field.
I had the highest marks in my math and business class.
I hope to get at least a 90 + average throughout high school.
I'm currently in 3-4 extra curriculars ( peer tutoring , business council , athletic council, ambassadors)
I have all my community hours finished but i hope to exceed it to about 100-200 hours .
I hope to get into either Waterloo, Queens , McMaster, Western .

I am wondering what kind of scholarships I should watch out for and is it too early to apply?
What university should I pursue?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
27 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Too early, you'll probably get in, go back to playing four square.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
What a scholar.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
You're way too early. Look back in Grade 12.

Your grades are great, however.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Relax and enjoy the rest of grade 10! You'll have plenty of time in grade 12 to stress over it..don't burn yourself out too early. Just keep your grades up and doing what you're doing for now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancee dancee
Oh don't worry about that now. You're doing just fine. As long as you don't start to seriously nosedive, you'll get to where you need to be. Applying to university is really not as scary as it sounds and I ended up getting into everywhere I applied to in grade 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stuiecam123 stuiecam123
Don't view who you are based on the paper in front of you...this is too avoid some sort of mid-life breakdown ;)
Read "summerhill school" and see the big picture in life once a while :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Wow, you need to get some friends and create a social life. I hope you realize your grade 10 marks are useless
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik
IMO, 90s are easy in grade 9&10. WAY too early to worry yourself. Ridiculous to apply for anything now. You've got the marks and the ECs, what the heck are you worrying about RIGHT NOW?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
If you do really well in Grade 11, it makes things easier. But relax and enjoy yourself, at least for Grade 10. I relaxed for Grade 11 too, and I should still be fine.

You are definitely too early for scholarships.

And McMaster? Really?

Ivey, Queens, Schulich, Laurier, Rotman, Sauder (UBC), McGill...

DO NOT WORRY YOURSELF. ENJOY LIFE :bounce: :bball: :cheers: :compress: :colors: :bigsmurf: :chef: :cheese: :clown: :brilsmurf :cat: :batman: :albino: :cyclops: :clown: :thumleft: :tongue: :viking:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KClendenning KClendenning
You seem to be well on your way to getting into any school you want. Like others have said, grade 10 marks aren't going to matter. At all. Just keep up the good work in grade 11 and 12, and enjoy life. Make sure you don't stress yourself out too much!

When it comes time in maybe grade 11, but mostly grade 12, look out for scholarships that combine community service and grades (i.e. TD Canada Trust scholarship). Also, check into your parents work companies, or any company you may have insurance with, etc. because they often have scholarships just for members or employees. Also, you can of course create a profile on studentawards.com which will bring personalized scholarships right to you. Just apply to everything that applies to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mapbanzon mapbanzon
Seriously? Way too early to be considering something like that. Enjoy your year first and start stressing in either Grade 11 and Grade 12. You'll regret it if you suddenly find that you have no more time to enjoy yourself because you wasted it all when you were worrying then you still didn't have to.

Really, thought. There's this thing called burning out, and although you may think you are not a candidate for that right now, if you continue on the path you are in now, and suddenly you encounter a road block that is seeming hopeless, you are in danger or breaking down.

Just saying.... Stop Stressing
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sciencegeek sciencegeek
I feel your pain. Im in grade 10 too and I'm struggling with the same problems. It really annoys me when people tell me to "relax" becuase grade 10 marks dont matter. If we start slacking in grade 10, its going to be twice as hard to pick it up in grade 11. And isn't consistancy the key? I am the youngest in my family and ive watched more than one of my older siblings fail becuase they slacked early on and tried to pick it up on the last half of high school. Bad idea. And the courses we choose in grade 11 are basically gonna pave the way for our future so yeah, grade 10 is pretty important becuase you are basically deciding what you ae going to do for the rest of your life...at the age of 16.

My advice to you is to try and figure out specifically what programs you want to get into then search which schools offer them and their requirements. I hear that Laurier offers some good buisness programs and UFT too. And lol yeahh wayyyy to early to be applying for anything yet. But I've noticed that many local banks offer buisness-related scholarships.

P.S its especially annoying when people say "stop stressing" as if we can just flick a switch and turn off all of our responsibilities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@sciencegeek wrote
I feel your pain. Im in grade 10 too and I'm struggling with the same problems. It really annoys me when people tell me to "relax" becuase grade 10 marks dont matter. If we start slacking in grade 10, its going to be twice as hard to pick it up in grade 11. And isn't consistancy the key? I am the youngest in my family and ive watched more than one of my older siblings fail becuase they slacked early on and tried to pick it up on the last half of high school. Bad idea. And the courses we choose in grade 11 are basically gonna pave the way for our future so yeah, grade 10 is pretty important becuase you are basically deciding what you ae going to do for the rest of your life...at the age of 16.

My advice to you is to try and figure out specifically what programs you want to get into then search which schools offer them and their requirements. I hear that Laurier offers some good buisness programs and UFT too. And lol yeahh wayyyy to early to be applying for anything yet. But I've noticed that many local banks offer buisness-related scholarships.

P.S its especially annoying when people say "stop stressing" as if we can just flick a switch and turn off all of our responsibilities.

Once you get to grade 11 and 12, you're going to regret worrying yourself in your first two years. Unless you're taking 11 and 12 courses I see no reason to worry yourself for no reason when these are the least stressing times of your life.

I'm in 12 and stressing now but I'm being told that grade 12 is easy $h!t compared to university - where everything actually matters! Imagine how much easier grade 10 would be! Take the hint from all the seniors and look at enjoying life while you can. The opportunity will leave your hands soon.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@ffcelik wrote

Once you get to grade 11 and 12, you're going to regret worrying yourself in your first two years. Unless you're taking 11 and 12 courses I see no reason to worry yourself for no reason when these are the least stressing times of your life.

+1

I worked my arse off throughout middle and high school cause nobody ever told me that grade 12 marks were the only ones that mattered. But it did make the transition easier cause it established a better work ethic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sciencegeek sciencegeek

@ffcelik wrote

I'm in 12 and stressing now but I'm being told that grade 12 is easy $h!t compared to university - where everything actually matters! Imagine how much easier grade 10 would be! Take the hint from all the seniors and look at enjoying life while you can. The opportunity will leave your hands soon.

Ok I underdtand what your saying but we never said that we werent enjoying grade 10. Being extremely busy doesnt always mean that your stressed out. Its possible to work and have fun too. But again we still need to work hard to keep our work ethic strong.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of meryn meryn
It's too early to apply for most of them, but good for you for thinking about it already. I'd recommend starting a part-time job now, so you can ease up a bit during busier, later years. And start working for the summers. Also, look for essay contests, there are some that are only open to current high school students that would be really good for you if you're a good writer.
Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@meryn wrote
It's too early to apply for most of them, but good for you for thinking about it already. I'd recommend starting a part-time job now, so you can ease up a bit during busier, later years. And start working for the summers. Also, look for essay contests, there are some that are only open to current high school students that would be really good for you if you're a good writer.
Good luck!

This.There.

Better advice than mines or anyone's. This person clearly has good skills at something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@ffcelik wrote

Better advice than mines or anyone's. This person clearly has good skills at something.

Are you sure you want to be teaching English?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote

@ffcelik wrote

Clearly I hit some kind of nerve somewhere since you're attacking me and not what I am saying.

It is a common typo seeing as the word 'anyone' also has an 's' at the end. It happens all the time with everyone. For your better understanding, I was having a chat with a university representative last month, and I remember when they unintentionally spelled seems as seem's.

Get used to it and get some experience in life while you're at it.

I think you should be more concerned with worrying yourself about the science of language; and look to apply that knowledge to computer science. This will be more beneficial than trying to correct what you think are grammar mistakes, which is not really relevant to the area you plan on going into. Just a waste of your precious time, really.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@ffcelik wrote

@Zion wrote

@ffcelik wrote

Clearly I hit some kind of nerve somewhere since you're attacking me and not what I am saying.

It is a common typo seeing as the word 'anyone' also has an 's' at the end. It happens all the time with everyone. For your better understanding, I was having a chat with a university representative last month, and I remember when they unintentionally spelled seems as seem's.

I think you should be more concerned with worrying yourself about the science of language; and look to apply that knowledge to computer science. This will be more beneficial than trying to correct what you think are grammar mistakes, which is not really relevant to the area you plan on going into. Just a waste of your precious time, really.

And you hit a nerve of mines? God, go write a memoir about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote

@ffcelik wrote

@Zion wrote

@ffcelik wrote

And you hit a nerve of mines? God, go write a memoir about it.

lol :) Good idea.

Edit: Good attack with the "mines".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DJPINKY101 DJPINKY101
For more info go see your counselor ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MaybeMelody MaybeMelody
I would personally recommend applying for some scholarships or bursaries. There are plenty that are available to high school students of all ages, and if you can be responsible for it and put it away for school, of course it'll be helpful. :)
Have a look through the site. Fill out your profile and see what you are eligible for. Don't sign up for any of mine though, because I want them. ;) lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of passenger3 passenger3
Ok, first off, grade 10 is waaaaaaayyyy too early to be even thinking about thinking about this stuff. I started freaking out at the beginning on grade 11, and I even regretted that. The marks that are really important for applying for university are your grade 11 marks, and then grade 12 marks are important too, but they're not what you put on your university applications. You don't need to slack off, it's great that you care about school, but thinking about your future right now is just going to cause you unneeded stress, and believe me, you will have plenty to stress about in grade 12. For now, enjoy the best years of your life!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0