yconic - GRADE 10 STUDENT - HELP, future courses and profile
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

GRADE 10 STUDENT - HELP, future courses and profile

A photo of alychow alychow
Hi :) I'm currently a Grade 10 enrolled in Pre-IB (International Baccaleaureate)
My courses:
French 10 - 85-90
Math 10 - 85
English 10 - 81
Fitness 10 - 92
Science 10 - 90
History 10 - 95
Biology 11 - 80-85
Functions 11 - 85+

I know I'm only Grade 10, but I'm still really worried about these marks. You have to admit, they're terrible and if I want to become an Engineer....I'm not sure if I can succeed. Half of the courses and the Gr11 courses are second sem and it hasn't even reached midterms yet. My Grade 9 avg was 91. I've heard that universities don't look at Gr10 marks except for Ivy Leagues , but my Gr11 marks right now really count..

I want to apply for UofT's engineering and if possible, MIT's engineering. I know it's far fetched, but I'm really discouraged right now. I'm a black in November of this year in taekwondo, I work a family owned business with my parents (attend trade shows), part of Athletic Council, and that's it..well other than my 100+ useless volunteer hours that have nothing to do with Engineering -_-
I'm taking Economics HL, Chemistry HL, Physics SL, Advanced Functions, Calculus, French, English, and other IB requirements

Will I even have a chance to go to MIT or become an engineer? What should I do, cause I never really liked school clubs.

Thank you so much :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
You'll be okay for U of T Engineering, but you'd probably need to work your ass off for MIT, especially applying as an international student (I'm going to assume you're not American). I don't mean to be discouraging lol but it's definitely difficult. I believe about 10% of applicants last year were admitted. From international students specifically, about 4% of international applicants were admitted.

Here are some statistics: http://mitadmissions.org/apply/process/stats (It will also give you an idea what you will need to achieve for SAT scores and such)

Your marks aren't bad at all, don't worry. Just remember that grade 11/12 is not the time to slack off. Your current grade 11 courses will most likely not be looked at. As an IB student myself, I was worried in grade 10 just like you, but I soon realized that by the time universities will look at my grades, I will have a lot more grade 12 courses done (in grade 11), that many of my grade 11 courses won't even be looked at (if that makes sense). Grade 11 courses aren't really that important, maybe for early acceptances and highly competitive programs.

You don't need to have volunteer hours related to Engineering. Universities usually look for involvement; it doesn't necessarily have to be related to what you're doing (also remember, quality over quantity). If you're in the IB Diploma program, that means you'll also have CAS, which means whether you like it or not, you're going to be involved in clubs and activities and such. I found one of the main benefits of CAS was I found all these different opportunities, some of which I really liked and became more involved in, and come time to write university supplementary applications, I had a lot to talk about.

Of course you have a chance to become an engineer. To go to MIT will be hard work; don't give up hope, try your best, but don't also be discouraged if you don't get accepted.

Good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alychow alychow

@ninetyfour wrote
You'll be okay for U of T Engineering, but you'd probably need to work your ass off for MIT, especially applying as an international student (I'm going to assume you're not American). I don't mean to be discouraging lol but it's definitely difficult. I believe about 10% of applicants last year were admitted. From international students specifically, about 4% of international applicants were admitted.

Here are some statistics: http://mitadmissions.org/apply/process/stats (It will also give you an idea what you will need to achieve for SAT scores and such)

Your marks aren't bad at all, don't worry. Just remember that grade 11/12 is not the time to slack off. Your current grade 11 courses will most likely not be looked at. As an IB student myself, I was worried in grade 10 just like you, but I soon realized that by the time universities will look at my grades, I will have a lot more grade 12 courses done (in grade 11), that many of my grade 11 courses won't even be looked at (if that makes sense). Grade 11 courses aren't really that important, maybe for early acceptances and highly competitive programs.

You don't need to have volunteer hours related to Engineering. Universities usually look for involvement; it doesn't necessarily have to be related to what you're doing (also remember, quality over quantity). If you're in the IB Diploma program, that means you'll also have CAS, which means whether you like it or not, you're going to be involved in clubs and activities and such. I found one of the main benefits of CAS was I found all these different opportunities, some of which I really liked and became more involved in, and come time to write university supplementary applications, I had a lot to talk about.

Of course you have a chance to become an engineer. To go to MIT will be hard work; don't give up hope, try your best, but don't also be discouraged if you don't get accepted.

Good luck :)

Thank you so much :) It means a ton :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mccannca466 mccannca466
If you really want to apply for MIT, then go for it. But here's a thought to consider: MIT has the world's largest suicide rate among students. Because whenever the students receive a mark they don't like, many of them have jumped off buildings. MIT actually has a 24 hour suicide hotline just for this.

Basically, MIT is hard as hell and extremely difficult even if you are in the program. I would advise you to think about if you really want to attend a program at a school that causes that much pain, stress, and threat to your personal health.
Was this helpful? Yes 0