yconic - Grade 10 student needs your help :( (profile + uni apps)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 10 student needs your help :( (profile + uni apps)

A photo of alychow alychow
Your marks look good, but Canadian Universities will only look at your third term Grade 11 marks and all your Grade 12 marks.

MIT, I believe you'll have to do well on the SAT + your grade 12 marks.

You'll be fine. Come back next year when you get your grade 11 marks, and then determine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of Octana Octana
Your marks look good, but Canadian Universities will only look at your third term Grade 11 marks and all your Grade 12 marks.

MIT, I believe you'll have to do well on the SAT + your grade 12 marks.

You'll be fine. Come back next year when you get your grade 11 marks, and then determine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TeaL3 TeaL3
Canadian universities mainly look at your grade 12 marks and sometimes at grade 11 for early acceptance. Your just in grade 10, thinking a bit to far maybe? If your a student from Ontario, the leap from grade 10~11 change pretty drastically, well at least for math. Universities also only take your top six marks in grade 12. Your grade are good at the moment. If I were to take your top six and average it, it would be a 89.5%. U of T admission average for engineering is a 87%. Just keeps your marks up, your doing a good job. I had a friend who had a 92% in grade 11 and those marks were used as an early acceptance mark when he was in grade 12. He was admitted to the program in February. I wish the best of luck to you. :]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bscit Bscit
Currently, I dont think you have a chance at MIT, (MIT and Harvard are overrated anyway). I know people with 95+ average (Canadian) who have applied to MIT for engineering and they have not been accepted. Your makrs look good so far and I recommend that you should stick to a university in Canada such as UTSG, Waterloo, or UBC for enineering and consider MIT for post grad.

The req avg for Engineering for those schools is around 90%, which is not impossible. You also said that you dont like school clubs but seeing that you have a part time job, you practise martial arts, you are part of the athletic council and that you have 100+ community service hours is more than enough. Unis would probably think you dont have time for clubs.

But I recommend to stay away from Night school/Private school/Summer school. Some unis count that against you since most of those schools are not fair markers. Even if the unis dont, you dont want to get crap learning and find out you are already behind in the first week of uni.

Well GL in school. My advice is just to ignore your Gr 10 marks (keep above 70 atleast) and concentrate on your Grade 11 courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0