yconic - Grade 11 - Part time job or not???
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 11 - Part time job or not???

A photo of Ellen8186 Ellen8186
I'm a grade 11 student. I was working part-time during weekend in a restaurant last semester (2 nights per week, like total 13 hours), and I found it stressful so I quit after 3 months...I had Chemistry, English, Math 10 and Music last semester and I had an average of 92 from these 4 courses.

This semester I'm having physics, pre-AP math, french and biology. The course work is even more intense than last semester's. The manager from the restaurant is asking me if I can go back and work again. I don't know if I should go...

Do restaurant experience help with your ECs when you apply for unis?? Cause I don't have ANY interesting ECs(only piano and tutoring a grade 5 kid.)

I like the money part of the job...I can earn 80 bucks in a night (starting from 5 to latenight). But then I have to work each weekend for at least one shift (one night). DO you think I can handle it?? especially if I already found it stressful last semester??.

omg I'm soooo stresssed. HELP!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Most universities/programs don't even ask for ECs, so no it probably wouldn't help you too much. It will help your resume, however. Only do it if you think you can manage. I had a job in grade 12 and with IB, sports and extra-curriculars, it quickly became too much. I had to take a month off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@Ellen8186 wrote
I'm a grade 11 student. I was working part-time during weekend in a restaurant last semester (2 nights per week, like total 13 hours), and I found it stressful so I quit after 3 months...I had Chemistry, English, Math 10 and Music last semester and I had an average of 92 from these 4 courses.

This semester I'm having physics, pre-AP math, french and biology. The course work is even more intense than last semester's. The manager from the restaurant is asking me if I can go back and work again. I don't know if I should go...

Do restaurant experience help with your ECs when you apply for unis?? Cause I don't have ANY interesting ECs(only piano and tutoring a grade 5 kid.)

I like the money part of the job...I can earn 80 bucks in a night (starting from 5 to latenight). But then I have to work each weekend for at least one shift (one night). DO you think I can handle it?? especially if I already found it stressful last semester??.

92% average is pretty good and I think you are pretty responsible and smart student and if you like the $, go for it. I was a competitive swimmer for 8 years training 20hrs a week the last 4 years then competing on weekends that so completely stressed me out in Grade 11 but took a year off this year. Huge difference but no regrets definately focus more on your studies in Grade 12. You will be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xoblackout xoblackout

@Ellen8186 wrote

If I were you, YES I would work - if I needed the money.

I'm grade 12 and I'm working and it's really hard..but I desperately need the money because my mom hasn't saved anything for my university studies, so I need the money. At grade 11, the marks don't even matter that much. Just do extra curricular activities and you're set! I'd get a job and save money. If I'd done that, I'd probably have a lot saved up right now, and probably even have a car! (Which I'm saving up for, too!)

This is only IF you need the money, and this is what I would've done in grade 11. You can handle it. Grade 11 marks don't matter, and you still managed to pull of 90's. Get used to stress and stress management! And cut your hours a bit and only work a few hours a week if you have to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0