yconic - Grade 11 - Please give me schedule advice!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 11 - Please give me schedule advice!

A photo of cfloo cfloo
please refer to my latest post. :o

First Semester
1 Music Theatre (M)
2 Biology (U)
3. Computer Science (U)
4. English (U)

Second
1. Math (U)
2. Chem (U)
3. Writer's Craft (U)
4. Music - Strings (M)

I had an average in the low 90s in grade ten.

The thing is, I really have no idea what I want to do in the future. I'm really stressed out just thinking about it and I haven't been able to talk to anyone at all.
I've been thinking about dropping strings, possibly for physics or a business course (economics? accounting? marketing?) but I'm just really not sure.
I'm quite nervous about math (since I only got an 83 in the academic course last year) which plays some part in discouraging me from taking physics.
Am I setting myself up for failure by taking these courses without any sense of direction? Could I apply/be accepted to any programs in university with these courses? That is, assuming I do well in them.
Is there any advice that you guys could possibly give me?
Thanks in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of kdinunzio kdinunzio
Hey! I'm going into grade twelve this year and my grade eleven year looks a lot like yours. I WOULD suggest accounting just because it's a really good class to take for life and such. Mathwise, I got a 78 in grade 10 academic and I got an 80 in University grade 12. It's not impossible, but it is a difficult course. Depending on your teacher and your free time its good as long as you study. Physics is hard. I'm not a science person but i do enjoy math. I only scraped up a 71 in Physics. If you don't need that course to get into your program (which, unless you're going into science,you probably don't) I would say don't do it because its almost garunteed to bring down your average.

I thought the same thing about setting myself up failure. Most university programs dont have strict requirements with the exception of ENG4U. Unless you're seriously looking into a science related field you should be fine. Math-wise, next yeart you still have all your options are open so that shouldnt be a problem to get a math requirement.

I didn't decide until this summer what I wanted to do and those courses worked out fine for me (Double Major History & Sociology).

And I am a HUGE music buff (I wish my school offered musical theatre) but if you really enjoy music, go for it. Even if it's just in high school :)

I hope this helped!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
Unless you are planning to go to Science programs, there really aren't many mandatory courses in applying to university programs. In grade 11, you can feel free to take almost whatever you wish, as long as it's doable for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
The only courses you need to be eligible for admissions to any program are English, Advanced Functions, Calculus, and the three sciences. If you're not really interested in engineering fields or physics itself, you don't really need physics at all. You don't need any business courses to apply to business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ What he said. If you're unsure than you're going to want to take all of the courses jelly listed, in order to keep your options open.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cfloo cfloo
Thanks for responding guys. :o This post may contain a lot of writing so I'll bold main questions. :P

kdinunzio - I like music. But along with music comes repertoire and four rehearsals a week (two per course) seems stressful. I get stressed out and anxious really easily.
I'm really glad to see that you figured out what you wanted to do. I hope I will too.

superstar2011 - Hm. :o Thanks for the sound advice.

jelly & ktel - That's what I was hoping. I'm planing on taking Advanced Functions, Calculus, Biology and Chemistry for sure in grade twelve. I don't think I'm interested in engineering or solely physics. However, I might be interested in science. Do life/health sciences require physics? Or computer science?Would it be really beneficial for me to just take it or would it really not matter since I'm taking biology and chemistry already?

I spoke to a guidance counselor today and here are the results.

First Semester
PERIOD ONE: Music Theatre (M)
PERIOD TWO: Biology (U)
PERIOD THREE : LUNCH *Physics available here
PERIOD FOUR: Computer Science (U)
PERIOD FIVE: English (U)

Second
PERIOD ONE: Math (U)
PERIOD TWO: Chem (U)
PERIOD THREE : LUNCH *Physics available here
PERIOD FOUR: Writer's Craft (U)
PERIOD FIVE: Music - Strings (M)*Physics available here

I can go ahead and drop strings and take physics in period five in second semester. But then I would math, chem and physics in the same semester. Would this be too much work and stress, especially since math is one of my weaker subjects? I do have good work habits though.

Another option would be dropping biology in semester one and taking it in semester two. I would take physics in period three (my current lunch) and have lunch second period which I don't really want to do... But perhaps my second semester will be easier?

Virtual school was also brought to my attention as well. Or perhaps summer school? But I don't really want to do either if not necessary.

Aghh. I really don't know what to do. I'm kind of freaking out.
Maybe I should drop strings for a business course instead...
I'll just stick with it if I really can't make up my mind or if I decide that I don't need physics/business/other subjects. I actually like music though... but my courses seem too easy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LaszloAlmasy LaszloAlmasy
Don't worry. Math, chem and phys in one semester could strengthen each other. Just do your homework. Study habits and timely questions are far, far more important than brilliance from an early age. You don't need physics for life/health sci unless you want to do kin, physio, chiro, or athletic therapy (if I missed some, someone please fill them in). You will need physics for computer tech but probably not for computer programming.

Do what you want. Universities really like well-rounded applicants, and there are lots of first-year courses to make up stuff you missed in high school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@cfloo wrote
Do life/health sciences require physics? Or computer science?Would it be really beneficial for me to just take it or would it really not matter since I'm taking biology and chemistry already?

I believe you can have physics as a choice, but you can get around it with other courses. I haven't found a life science or health science program requiring computer science. A number of life science programs will require calculus, but others are more lax with the choices, and you can certainly use physics. If you're not interested in physics, you probably don't have to worry about it. You should look under http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/degree.php

@cfloo wrote
I can go ahead and drop strings and take physics in period five in second semester. But then I would math, chem and physics in the same semester. Would this be too much work and stress, especially since math is one of my weaker subjects? I do have good work habits though.

That I believe is for you to decide. But if you ask me, it does sound pretty tough. I've had a friend who had Functions, Chemistry, Physics and Computer Science in one semester who did suffer from the overload of math. If you actually wish to do strings, don't sacrifice it for physics. It's probably not worth it.

@cfloo wrote
Another option would be dropping biology in semester one and taking it in semester two. I would take physics in period three (my current lunch) and have lunch second period which I don't really want to do... But perhaps my second semester will be easier?

Do you have any close friends you'd hang around with during either periods two or three? As for second semester being easier if you did that... is really up for debate.

@cfloo wrote
Aghh. I really don't know what to do. I'm kind of freaking out.
Maybe I should drop strings for a business course instead...
I'll just stick with it if I really can't make up my mind or if I decide that I don't need physics/business/other subjects. I actually like music though... but my courses seem too easy.

I read your last line and laughed. In any grade of high school, you do have some room to take a few courses you enjoy without much stress. You never know, they could be harder than imagined at first. In any case, don't pack unnecessary difficulty into your schedule. It's not like anyone will credit you better. The only business course that you should consider in grade 11, if you will at all, would be Accounting. Why? You need that course to do grade 12 Accounting, although you actually don't need that course for any business program. But taking the course will get you far, if you do. Other grade 11 business courses aren't prerequisites for anything else, as far as I know (with the exception of BTA3O being the prerequisite for BTX4E or BTX4C).
Was this helpful? Yes 0