yconic - Grade 11/ 12 Biology (SBI3U/SBI4U) discussions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 11/ 12 Biology (SBI3U/SBI4U) discussions

A photo of brady23 brady23
This is a thread for the discussion about grade 11/12 biology(AP and Non AP). General discussions about the course, specific questions, studying guides, strategies etc can all be posted here.

Here is the Ontario Curriculum for Grade 11:
1. Diversity of Living Things
2. Evolution
3. Genetic Processes
4. Animals, Structure, and Function
5. Plants

Here is the Ontario Curriculum for Grade 12:
1. Biochemistry and cellular biology
2. Energy and metabolism
3. Molecular genetics
4. Homeostasis
5. Population dynamics/ecology

For those who finished, which unit do you think is the easiest? hardest?
How does grade 11 compare to grade 12? general comments?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of Blargg Blargg
I have SBI4U next semester. I'm kinda nervous. I hope I get at least a 90.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canta93loupe canta93loupe
3U was so so so so so so so so so so easy.

And then I took 4U this semester, (even though I didn't need it because I'm not going into sciences...) and I died. LOL. My mark went from mid 90s in Grade 11 to mid 80s. Though, I think it was because Grade 12 Bio was so much more intertwined with Chem than Grade 11 Bio... and I fast tracked Grade 11 Chem in grade 10. So I dropped Bio at midterms because I just couldn't handle it. For the units I stayed for (Biochem and Metabolism), they were both really, really interesting, but the information just wouldn't stay in my head like Grade 11.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Wow, is there a thread for all three sciences?! LOL

I've also taken both levels of biology.
I also fast tracked bio 11, I took it grade 10 alongside science 10, which wasn't a bad choice.. considering bio 12 is not related to bio 11, at all.
Maybe a little, cytology and all, but the rest of it isn't related, as you can see from the curriculum.

Bio 12 is a lot more intensive, bio 11 is all about memorizing facts about animals and plants. In bio 12, you actually get to learn about how everything works, how our bodies function. There is a LOT more memorization, if you want to think of it like that. But the topics are all really interesting. I liked bio 12 a lot more than bio 11, and did a lot better. I finished bio 11 with an 86, but got somewhere around 94 for bio 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger
I found biology 12 more interesting than biology 11. I also found molecular genetics to be the most interesting and easiest unit.
I liked homeostasis, but I didn't do very well on the test.
Our class never did population dynamics/ecology... :s
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
I think I covered that, but in bio 11.
So weird, we do so many things in bio 11 that you guys do in bio 12.
It was just like.. factors that affect population density and that kinda stuff.
Nothing exciting, at all.

Our bio 12 curriculum on the east coast is so different..
We did.. DNA (translation, transcription, replication), water, cytology, protein synthesis.. and then we jumped right into the human body and learnt about all the different systems of the body.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Blargg Blargg

@brady23 wrote
Here is the Ontario Curriculum for Grade 11:
1. Diversity of Living Things
2. Evolution
3. Genetic Processes
4. Animals, Structure, and Function
5. Plants

Here is the Ontario Curriculum for Grade 12:
1. Biochemistry and cellular biology
2. Energy and metabolism
3. Molecular genetics
4. Homeostasis
5. Population dynamics/ecology

Uh, thats strange because in grade 11, we never even covered evolution, diversity, and animals. We did biochem, cellular, and metabolism. And we spent so much time on plants for some reason.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of taylorgavin12 taylorgavin12
I absolutely loved both of these courses. Grade 11 biology was a breeze, it was probably one of the easiest courses I've taken in high school. I think it was partially because I was interested in the material and partially because it can be common knowledge sometimes. Overall, grade 11 bio was such a great course and I would recommend it to anyone. Genetics was probably my favorite unit or internal systems(which isn't on the list provided but we did it) and evolution was pretty easy. My least favorite unit would definitely be diversity of living things. There was a lot of memorization, but it was still interesting I guess. For grade 12 I am taking AP bio, and its not that different than regular grade 12 bio. Obviously we expand more on certain things and learn extra bits of information, but for the most part its just like grade 12 bio. Grade 12 bio is harder than grade 11, but it is very interesting and everything sorta ties together. It's one of those courses that explains so many every day things that you never think of. I loved both courses and would tell anyone to take them. Both courses benefit anyone, even if they don't want to go into science.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shequi shequi
I found grade 12 bio was much harder than grade 11 - a lot more memorization cause of biochem and homeostasis. My mark dropped 5 percent from grade 11, but I don't that the fact that I took AP was the reason why.

Dissecting a pig and cow's brain during those courses was definitely one of the coolest experiences I've had :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CKip CKip
I found Biology in Grade Twelve a lot easier than Grade Eleven, but maybe it was just because I couldn't be bothered with plants and biochemistry.

I have to say that I really hated the genetics part of the semester however. I could have cared less. X)

I prefered to learn about the body systems, especially the Nervous System.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
I know the curriculum of both courses have changed since I took them (even though i was in grade 12 just last year) but i wanted to give imput anyways.

While grade 12 bio is harder than 11 it's not impossible to do good. i ended up doing WAY better in grade 12 because I really strapped down on studying and homework. If you make sure you form really good study habits in grade 12 you will be thanking yourself later. trust me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump. How is this course going for the gr12s so far?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

We're doing biochemistry right now, and it's so much memorization! All those functional groups - OH, COOH, make my brain hurt!

Last year had it worse when they combined Biochemistry & Metabolic Processes into one unit, know they split it into separate units and took out evolution. What we have to learn in 4 weeks, last year's class had to learn it in 2 weeks with another unit!
Was this helpful? Yes 0