yconic - Grade 11 course selections?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 11 course selections?

A photo of kelso547 kelso547
Okay, so I'm currently in grade 10 in an Ontario Highschool in Pre-IB (international baccalaureate) I'm not countinuing on the IB path next year but I want to know what you think about the courses I have choosen, I'm not sure what kind of profession I would like yet but I'm hoping for something in the medical or social sciences field and I want to be on the right track. I kind of slacked off in grade 9 and grade 10 so they aren't the bext grades but I know I can be a lot stronger in my grade 11 year:) okay so here are my current grade 10 grades:
English-92%
French-90%
Science-84%
History-88%
Art-62% (this is really terrible but I'm awful at art and got forced into this course because of the dumb pre-IB schedule)
Math-74 (yikes!)
Careers-100% (it's a half credit and civics is the other half credit but I obviously won't have a problem with that either)
grade 11 functions math-84%

So those are my current grades, I have Functions, English, French and Civics right now so those aren't final yet and could still vary but most likely those won't change too much...and these are the courses I want to take for grade 11:
ENG 3U1-English
FSF 3U1-French
SBI 3U1-Biology
SCH 3U1-Chemistry
MDM 4U1-Data Managament (12)
PAF 3OG- Girl's Fitness (just a fun course to lighten up my schedule)
PSE 4U1- Exercise science (12)
HSP 3M1-Introduction to psychology, anthropology and sociology

What do think of these courses? any suggestions? How hard are they? et cetera. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of sepriv sepriv
Those seems like pretty good course choices. Do you plan to take Advanced Functions and Calculus and Vectors as well? Data Management is good, and apparently an easy average booster, but those are the two core math courses in my opinion, and many medical or health sciences programs will require at least one, if not both of those as pre-requisites. Also, if you're looking at medicine, I'd strongly recommend you take physics next year because you'll probably have to take it in university. (At Western, you have to have a physics credit in first year for their Biological and Medical Sciences program, just as an example. It isn't a pre-requisite, but you'd be glad you took it).

3U chemistry isn't that hard at all. I'm taking it now and have gotten nothing but 80s, 90s, and 100s on all the assessments without a whole lot of work. The labs are really fun as well. I haven't taken 3U biology, but I plan to catch up in summer school so I can do the 4U course. My friends in biology say 3U biology is really easy. (4U is apparently where it gets more difficult). 3U English isn't bad at all, it can be a harder course if you're not strong in English, but if you have 92% now in grade ten, you should be fine.

Fitness should be a good course to lighten up a hard semester, should your schedule turn out that way. HSP 3M1 should be good too. It's super popular at my school and I have a lot of friends that took it this year. From what I hear, it's super easy and really interesting - and probably a good intro course if you're looking at social sciences.

Also, good on you for taking French. I'm taking it now and finding it extremely hard, mainly because my teacher is extremely hard marking, but people keep telling me it'll pay off eventually.

Anyway, those are my two cents. Hope I could help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kelso547 kelso547

@sepriv wrote
Those seems like pretty good course choices. Do you plan to take Advanced Functions and Calculus and Vectors as well? Data Management is good, and apparently an easy average booster, but those are the two core math courses in my opinion, and many medical or health sciences programs will require at least one, if not both of those as pre-requisites. Also, if you're looking at medicine, I'd strongly recommend you take physics next year because you'll probably have to take it in university. (At Western, you have to have a physics credit in first year for their Biological and Medical Sciences program, just as an example. It isn't a pre-requisite, but you'd be glad you took it).

3U chemistry isn't that hard at all. I'm taking it now and have gotten nothing but 80s, 90s, and 100s on all the assessments without a whole lot of work. The labs are really fun as well. I haven't taken 3U biology, but I plan to catch up in summer school so I can do the 4U course. My friends in biology say 3U biology is really easy. (4U is apparently where it gets more difficult). 3U English isn't bad at all, it can be a harder course if you're not strong in English, but if you have 92% now in grade ten, you should be fine.

Fitness should be a good course to lighten up a hard semester, should your schedule turn out that way. HSP 3M1 should be good too. It's super popular at my school and I have a lot of friends that took it this year. From what I hear, it's super easy and really interesting - and probably a good intro course if you're looking at social sciences.

Also, good on you for taking French. I'm taking it now and finding it extremely hard, mainly because my teacher is extremely hard marking, but people keep telling me it'll pay off eventually.

Anyway, those are my two cents. Hope I could help!

Thank you so much! and yeah, I'm planning on doing Advanced Functions and Calculus in grade 12 because I really enjoy math and would look good for university applications, even though it isn't my strongest subject, but I'm improving on it:)I really enjoy french as well and I'm hoping it will help me in the future. You helped a lot!
Was this helpful? Yes 0