yconic - Grade 11 Help
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 11 Help

A photo of s1995 s1995
Hi guys, I'm currently in a dilemma and I'd really appreciate all of your feedback. Starting from grade 9 and 10 I've taken Applied math and then during my grade 10 summer entering grade 11 I took the grade 10 academic math so I could transfer to 11U. I got an 83% in math in the 2 week summer school course and got an 84% in applied grade 10. This semester I have the following classes:
-Physics SPH3U
-Comptuer Science ISC3U
-Anthro HSP3M
-Math MCR3U

Today in math we did did a grade 10 diagnostic test worth a quiz towards my mark and I feel I didnt do that great even though I slighly reviewed and looked over my notes while completeing all my homework. I'm looking to head into university for Computer Science or business and I feel that math may not but my strongest subject although university is my ONLY option. I want to take Advanced Functions in grade 11 as well as Calculus or Data but I'm not sure what to do. I know you dont need science for what I want to do but I took it just incase I change my mind. Do you guys feel that I should drop science courses and focus on Math and English being my 2 main subjects above 80%. Any tips involved with grade 11 will also be much appreciated and I look forward to all of your advice, thanks!.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of michaelplease michaelplease
Umm.. you often need physics or at least some science course for entry into computer science.

You should keep all your courses, and just not try as hard in something like Anthro...

Honestly if you can't keep up with this much work in Grade 11, you will struggle in university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of s1995 s1995
I never said I couldn't keep up with the work, I just struggle a lot for math. I appreciate the feedback and other responses would be helpful. Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of s1995 s1995
Thanks for the link, I bookmarked it. Also I can always go through my homework efficiently without much trouble its just when I get to the test I tend to forget things and different steps/procedures..I guess I just need to study harder and work harder.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of s1995 s1995
Anyone else?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
I actually have a bunch of friends who do the same thing. They can do their math homework perfectly fine, but they don't do too well on tests. Problem is, there are no evaluations except for tests. If you're doing poorly even though you understand all the content, you're probably incredibly nervous. Personally I struggle with the homework and tend to just ragequit halfway through... but I pull through on tests fairly well. If you understand the concepts and are capable of using math and what not, computer science should be ok. If you are set on going to computer science and you are weak at math, I highly recommend dropping sciences. Physics and Chemistry are to some extent, fairly math intensive, albeit much more simple.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of s1995 s1995

@jelly wrote
I actually have a bunch of friends who do the same thing. They can do their math homework perfectly fine, but they don't do too well on tests. Problem is, there are no evaluations except for tests. If you're doing poorly even though you understand all the content, you're probably incredibly nervous. Personally I struggle with the homework and tend to just ragequit halfway through... but I pull through on tests fairly well. If you understand the concepts and are capable of using math and what not, computer science should be ok. If you are set on going to computer science and you are weak at math, I highly recommend dropping sciences. Physics and Chemistry are to some extent, fairly math intensive, albeit much more simple.

Glad to see others out there are like me, thanks for telling me that. I also believe if I drop Physics and Chem I can focus a lot more on math and then when grade 12 comes I'll just have to focus hard on Advanced Functions, Calc and English. I'll appreciate more responses and even discuss with my guidence councler but any other tips or suggestions would be helpful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of s1995 s1995
Anyone else?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@s1995 wrote

@jelly wrote

Glad to see others out there are like me, thanks for telling me that. I also believe if I drop Physics and Chem I can focus a lot more on math and then when grade 12 comes I'll just have to focus hard on Advanced Functions, Calc and English. I'll appreciate more responses and even discuss with my guidence councler but any other tips or suggestions would be helpful.

What are you planning to replace them with? You should first make sure that you're not trading one problem for another, in any case. For instance you shouldn't just take a course you don't really want to just to avoid physics or chemistry. I would personally recommend open or mixed level courses somewhat dealing with computers, which is probably of your interest, if that is available. You might have to do some complex switching around if courses like that are only available in different sections.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cvictor32 cvictor32
It's a lot of hard work, make sure you don't lose your textbooks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hannena hannena
Don't worry about your diagnostic test, they really don't mean much at all. I'm pretty sure I almost failed mine last year in functions, but easily got a good mark in the class. All that matters is the stuff you're tested on during the year which is primarily new concepts! Usually the teacher will also go over any previous knowledge you would need per unit, so you have a specified review. Don't fret and just work hard, I'm sure you'll do very well! Good luck :)

Side note: Any math you'll do in physics is pretty easy, so if you are worried about your math skills interfering with your physics, don't. You'll learn any math you need for that course, in that course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0