yconic - Grade 11- Looking ahead for scholarships
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 11- Looking ahead for scholarships

A photo of ifeoluwa ifeoluwa
Hi!

I'm currently in grade 11. I am involved in school activities:

vice president of anime club
junior editor (will be senior next year) of school newspaper
peer mentor
organizer of 30 hour famine
think global (supporting me to we)
yearbook member
math subject tutor

I am also very academic and have an 89% average.

I am invovled outside of school with a youth leadership organization as secretary and I volunteer alot. I won a volunteer award from the organization I volunteer with.

I have been looking at some scholarships like the TD and Loran award and I was wondering what kind of chances I have and what I could do to improve my chances.

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
You have decent chances, but I think you should join some sports to make yourself more well-rounded.
There's going to be so many people that apply who are a lot more well rounded and have just as many ECs.
The only thing that can really distinguish you from others is probably the interview and/or the essay. I'm not sure if either has an essay, but I'm sure there's some written portion to the application
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of excitedloon excitedloon
I applied for both the TD and the Loran this year and had more success with the Loran. Basically, in my opinion and from what I understand about the awards and what they represent:

TD - Based more on past achievements and what you HAVE done.
Loran - Based more on what you WILL do and your future potential to leading a successful, impactful life. Having said that, you must have obviously done something you can't simply say I will make a difference one day! Nevertheless, it's based more on what you will do in the future and the impact you'll have.

Again, that's what I think of the awards. Nowhere on their websites does it say exactly that :P

As for what more you can do, don't do things to pad your resume or make yourself seem more impressive. Focus on doing things your passionate about and that you love doing because then you'll have a better experience volunteering and get more out of the experience.

Academically, for awards like the Loran and TD, your 89% average would work just fine since as long as you meet the minimum average requirement for the awards, you qualify (the academic aspect is more of a "box checked off" kind of thing then something that is actually taken into consideration when comparing who gets it and who doesn't).

Hope this helps! Feel free to send me a PM or reply here with any other questions you have :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ifeoluwa ifeoluwa
Thanks for the advice. I've been doing the things I really love but since looking at the awards and past winners I've been getting concerned. How important is sport involvement? I have been on badminton and field hockey...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of colakid123 colakid123
Assuming you're studious and involved and will be VERY busy next year around application time, here is my two-part suggestion:
1) Make a list of all the scholarships you want to apply for this summer, so they're ready and in chronological order. Be ambitious but realistic.
2) Make lists of all your extracurriculars, get some outlines done for personal essays on your school contributions, career goals and most important experience of your life (other generic stuff).

This'll make applying for scholarships so much easier. It's what I wish someone had told me because I really couldn't put as much effort into scholarship apps as I wish I could've.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maggie2092 maggie2092

@colakid123 wrote
Assuming you're studious and involved and will be VERY busy next year around application time, here is my two-part suggestion:
1) Make a list of all the scholarships you want to apply for this summer, so they're ready and in chronological order. Be ambitious but realistic.
2) Make lists of all your extracurriculars, get some outlines done for personal essays on your school contributions, career goals and most important experience of your life (other generic stuff).

This'll make applying for scholarships so much easier. It's what I wish someone had told me because I really couldn't put as much effort into scholarship apps as I wish I could've.

This is great advice! I wish someone would have given me this advice, as it would have definitley saved a lot of time.

I'd also recommend getting ideas together, or writing a sample essay that you can tweak as necessary. Most of the essays you have to write are pretty standard, so I think you could really benefit from this as well.

Best of luck, and remember: APPLY FOR EVERYTHING, even if you don't 100% qualify for it. Visit your guidance counselor, and they should be able to give you access to different scholarships as well. Not as many people apply for those, so you have a much better chance of winning those ones!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Classiquely Classiquely

@ifeoluwa wrote
Hi!

I'm currently in grade 11. I am involved in school activities:

vice president of anime club
junior editor (will be senior next year) of school newspaper
peer mentor
organizer of 30 hour famine
think global (supporting me to we)
yearbook member
math subject tutor

I am also very academic and have an 89% average.

I am invovled outside of school with a youth leadership organization as secretary and I volunteer alot. I won a volunteer award from the organization I volunteer with.

I have been looking at some scholarships like the TD and Loran award and I was wondering what kind of chances I have and what I could do to improve my chances.

Thanks

Hi!

By looking at your activities, it seems like you enjoy helping others.

There are scholarships out there that would ask you about your activities/extracurricular activities...but, you have to know how to "spice it up with words." That's very important.

You and another applicant could be in the same activities, but it's how you write about it that sets you apart.

For example, I am working on recording a CD. Thus, I would spice it up with words by saying, "Currently, I am studying piano techniques and the classical method extensively in order to record a classical CD at the recording studio in _______" (I just made this up)

Essays are a big part of scholarships, so you have to know how to write impressively.

Another tip for you...
Increase your academic average until it's in the 90's and you could be even more impressive

Goodluck! :bounce:

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 94aschahal 94aschahal

@excitedloon wrote
I applied for both the TD and the Loran this year and had more success with the Loran. Basically, in my opinion and from what I understand about the awards and what they represent:

TD - Based more on past achievements and what you HAVE done.
Loran - Based more on what you WILL do and your future potential to leading a successful, impactful life. Having said that, you must have obviously done something you can't simply say I will make a difference one day! Nevertheless, it's based more on what you will do in the future and the impact you'll have.

Again, that's what I think of the awards. Nowhere on their websites does it say exactly that :P

As for what more you can do, don't do things to pad your resume or make yourself seem more impressive. Focus on doing things your passionate about and that you love doing because then you'll have a better experience volunteering and get more out of the experience.

Academically, for awards like the Loran and TD, your 89% average would work just fine since as long as you meet the minimum average requirement for the awards, you qualify (the academic aspect is more of a "box checked off" kind of thing then something that is actually taken into consideration when comparing who gets it and who doesn't).

Hope this helps! Feel free to send me a PM or reply here with any other questions you have :)

Thanks for the advice ..... This is might be helpful for me to account of that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0