yconic - Grade 11 Scheduling Help
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 11 Scheduling Help

A photo of Kevin4 Kevin4
Hey I was wondering if I could get some advice on what to do with my schedule in Grade 11. Currently it's shaping up to be an ok 1st semester but a fairly difficult 2nd semester.

Semester 1:
Gym
Functions
Grade 11 English Uni prep
Designing Your Future

Semester 2:
Biology Uni prep
Chemistry Uni prep
Entrepreneurship
Grade 12 English Uni Prep

I was thinking about taking out Grade 12 English and put it back into its normal place in grade 12. Instead I would sub in an easy course like construction so I can focus on the sciences.

I also work a part time job getting 16-20 hours a week that includes 2-3 weekday nights. Please don't post comments saying to suck it up because I'll most likely be sticking with this I just want some other options.

Basically I want to know If I should bother keeping grade 12 English where it is or move it back to grade 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of jelly jelly
Fast tracking is good. You shouldn't really be having "focusing on grade 11 courses" as an excuse to slow you down. Grade 11 sciences are fairly insignificant to be honest, they're a lead-up to grade 12 and nothing more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
If at all possible, I would swap English with another grade 12 course that isn't going to be a prerequisite to university. Your schedule is entirely doable, and looking back now I realize I could've taken like 7 high school courses at a time for it to compare to university, but English 12 is something you really want to focus on because no matter what program you go into, its going to be counted. If rescheduling isn't an option, you've read it a million times...just work hard, focus on your studies etc. And for English, my best advice is to think about the essays in your head for a day, then sit down and puke all your ideas onto a page, then come back a day or two later and complete a proper, edited, improved version. Find out what your teacher likes and include it all the time. My teacher loved metaphors and imagery. Include good ones, and you got good grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel

@fxoqxc wrote

@threepointonefour wrote
If at all possible, I would swap English with another grade 12 course that isn't going to be a prerequisite to university. Your schedule is entirely doable, and looking back now I realize I could've taken like 7 high school courses at a time for it to compare to university, but English 12 is something you really want to focus on because no matter what program you go into, its going to be counted. If rescheduling isn't an option, you've read it a million times...just work hard, focus on your studies etc. And for English, my best advice is to think about the essays in your head for a day, then sit down and puke all your ideas onto a page, then come back a day or two later and complete a proper, edited, improved version. Find out what your teacher likes and include it all the time. My teacher loved metaphors and imagery. Include good ones, and you got good grades.

Metaphors and imagery in ESSAYS? Is your teacher a moron? lol..

Why would his teacher be a moron? What do you think an essay is supposed to be?

Personally I hate the high school English set-up. That's why I loved IB English, and I probably would've liked university English if I hadn't taken the IB credit for it. I really enjoyed interpreting texts, not so much creative writing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
An essay is not supposed to be riddled with ambiguities...?

An essay is supposed to deliver a message that is straightforward and clear. I think this is just a demonstration of poor English by the poster (no transition?). He probably meant that those particular examples of devices are examined in the course – not part of essays.

Otherwise, I tend to agree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of hannena hannena
I would switch chemistry or biology (depending or which you find more difficult) with gym or designing your future -- both nice easy courses. I think you should keep grade 12 english; fast tracking is a good idea, get it over with and do it good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
Why don't you just take grade 12 english in summer school next year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@fxoqxc wrote

@ktel wrote

@fxoqxc wrote

@threepointonefour wrote

Metaphors and imagery in ESSAYS? Is your teacher a moron? lol..

Why would his teacher be a moron? What do you think an essay is supposed to be?

Personally I hate the high school English set-up. That's why I loved IB English, and I probably would've liked university English if I hadn't taken the IB credit for it. I really enjoyed interpreting texts, not so much creative writing.

You don't include metaphors in essays, period. There's nothing to debate here, you learn that in 9th grade. You either make your point clear for the reader, or you get a poor grade, simple as that.

I think I misunderstood. You should be discussing imagery and metaphors in an essay, but not constructing your own.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
Before you move Grade 12 English anywhere, I strongly suggest you find out what your teacher is like if you don't know him/her already. In English, a good teacher is key. I actually found Biology 11 and Chemistry 11 together quite doable, if you don't have Physics or Functions in the same semester as well. But if possible, it's probably still a better idea to switch one of the Open courses in Semester 1 with one of the sciences. You'll do fine as long as you keep up with your work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0