yconic - Grade 11 vs grade 12
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 11 vs grade 12

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
Is grade 12 a lot harder than grade 11? Please mention what province you're from, kthnx
Was this helpful? Yes 0
25 replies

A photo of slader23 slader23
Well for me gr.12 in Ontario is a lot easier because your not trying out courses of interest that could will help you decide what you want to do in university like grade 11...you are taking exactly what is required for your desired program plus a floaters or mark boosters. Gr.12 is an accumulation of years of preparation so you pretty much know what is expected and the importance of your final year in high school...because if you mess up here you are pretty much screwed ....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1

@slader23 wrote
Well for me gr.12 in Ontario is a lot easier because your not trying out courses of interest that could will help you decide what you want to do in university like grade 11...you are taking exactly what is required for your desired program plus a floaters or mark boosters. Gr.12 is an accumulation of years of preparation so you pretty much know what is expected and the importance of your final year in high school...because if you mess up here you are pretty much screwed ....

This kinda line scares the screw out of people, no liez lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1

@smarty1 wrote

@slader23 wrote

That fact keeps me^ going lol . In grade 11 your marks dont matter so you slack off and drop your marks. But, in grade 12 you sort of have no choice but to study. In my experience , I have noticed that if i don't need to try I won't , if I need to get a good mark I will.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Umar45 Umar45
Grd. 12 Ontario. The work is just a bit harder than grade 11. There is more work that's for sure. You just need to learn how to manage your time better because sometimes you will have assignments and tests on similar days. Key thing is to make sure not to study for a test the night before because chances are its really going to backfire and this time the mark is really going to hurt. Oh yeah, every time your given an assignment your teachers will will relate it to university and the workload there which gets annoying sometimes
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Zion Zion
Depends completely on the province. In BC, grade 11 is the easiest, and grade 12 is in the middle - a bit harder. But the fact that grade 12 is the only one that really counts is what makes it even more difficult.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
It was for me (IB program, Ontario). Sitting 11 papers in <2 weeks for final exams, where each is worth 70-80% of your course mark, was not fun at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blackjack blackjack

@inthemaking wrote
It was for me (IB program, Ontario). Sitting 11 papers in <2 weeks for final exams, where each is worth 70-80% of your course mark, was not fun at all.

But by May, don't you already have all your acceptances? That's what I'm counting on so I don't have to study thaat much for IB exams. :P I have all my exams from May 3-12 and then a week break and then one more french exam on the 23rd.. ugh french, most useless subject eveerr
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
I found grade 12 harder because of the amount of work and time i had to put in to school and uni apps and scholarship apps, plus having some ecs/hobbies and going out with friends. Also, in certain subjects the level of difficulty increased a lot more from grade 11, like bio. I'm from ontario.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking

@blackjack wrote

@inthemaking wrote

But by May, don't you already have all your acceptances? That's what I'm counting on so I don't have to study thaat much for IB exams. :P I have all my exams from May 3-12 and then a week break and then one more french exam on the 23rd.. ugh french, most useless subject eveerr

I applied to health sci at Mac and they don't send out acceptances till the first week of May (regardless of how good your grade 11/first semester grade 12 marks are)..that was torture, I got my acceptances news on the same day as my IB chem exam, I remember haha.

Plus all Ontario universities only give out conditional acceptances so you still have to do well on the finals to maintain a certain average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hSkeoch hSkeoch
Ontario

grade 12 is way harder and the work is much more "in-depth"
take courses in advance so you can lighten your gr. 12 year!
i'd even suggest doing a course during summer school. you may think it sucks.. but really, get 'er done, get an incredible mark and then focus on less courses in gr.12!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@hSkeoch wrote
Ontario

grade 12 is way harder and the work is much more "in-depth"
take courses in advance so you can lighten your gr. 12 year!
i'd even suggest doing a course during summer school. you may think it sucks.. but really, get 'er done, get an incredible mark and then focus on less courses in gr.12!!

Yea thats probably the best approach....luckily for me my school allowed me to take 8 courses in gr.11 ( Full load) so that it's easier for me now I take 5 ( Advanced functions and Calculus and Vectors are both half year full credit so really that is 6 courses), but for real suffer in gr.11 so that in gr.12 you see better days!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Trooper Trooper
Grade 12 is harder. Unless you've bribed your way through, and your school is corrupted and gives free marks, grade 12 is definitely harder, no doubt. Ontario.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The overall difficulty of the course material has definitely increased from gr.11 to gr.12 but if you are taking less courses and are concentrating on what is required everything becomes easier as you can manage your time better and really focus on getting excellent grades but, when you think about it how you perceive your own experience in gr.12 depends on your approach to it...if you want to lazy around and say that everything is hard then thats up to you..but if you can take a serious approach to your final year of school and do whatever it takes to get ahead....everything becomes a lot easier than it was a year ago but then again..thats up to you. :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@safarhealthsci1 wrote

@smarty1 wrote

@slader23 wrote

That fact keeps me^ going lol . In grade 11 your marks dont matter so you slack off and drop your marks. But, in grade 12 you sort of have no choice but to study. In my experience , I have noticed that if i don't need to try I won't , if I need to get a good mark I will.

True, but in many cases, it puts pressure on the students. And we have to agree, not everyone works well under pressure, i.e. struggle. :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I wouldn't particularly say that grade 12 is harder than grade 11 or the converse. The fact is that it depends on many factors:

- how many courses you take
- which courses you take
- teachers
- one's commitment
- stress level and ability to work under it
- situation

There are people who take, for example, all science/business/tech courses in grade 11, yet in grade 12 they figure it's not their cup of tea, so they drop these courses in grade 12 and only focus on what they're going into, not only in terms of field, but even in terms of the university of their choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hildev hildev
I go to school in Ontario, and i personally think grade 11 is a bit harder, only for the fact that your grade 11 year is a big jump from grade 10, and you dont have any spares. In grade 12, you can have 2 spares. This helps a ton in time management. Remember, your teachers are always there to help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MariamB MariamB
Well every level of a school year is different. Grade 12 is definitly hard because the work load is ten times more, also you are expected to do a lot more on your own.
Bascially what ever you want your semester to be, it will be.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MaybeMelody MaybeMelody
I graduated grade 12 last year from an Ontario school.
I graduated, so it's not so hard... In fact, lots of people do.
However, yes, it is generally harder than grade 11. While you are taking a lot more courses that interest you, since you only have ENG as a prerequisite course, so your others are things you like, or things you're generally interested in and pursuing for your future... They are harder though. Generally.
In some cases, teachers will want to prepare you for university by being strict like the professors are. Some will be very difficult to get extra time, or extra marks from. Others will give you a lot of homework, or very short dead lines. And when you have 2-4 teachers all doing this, it gets a little hectic.
If you're going to have a part-time job, you need to balance that and your work quite a bit.
Wow, all that sounds a little stressful, huh? Don't worry, I made it through, so I'm sure you will too.
I found something that's really helpful is to talk to friends a lot. Either about stresses, to get them off your mind, or about assignments. Bump ideas around, you get a lot more creative, and you share a lot of information! As long as you write the assignments separately, you'll both get the marks for it, and they'll be higher than if you just had your own info.
Oh, also, if you do need to request a mark update... rather than just asking them for more marks, or telling them "I need this mark in order to make it into post-sec", explain the exact situation, ask them why you didn't get the mark OR why a specific mark was deducted... then take the time to listen and understand their side. If you give the time to understand them, for the most part they'll do the same for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sarahmck sarahmck
As fat as academics go, I don't find grade 12 any harder than grade 11. Just be aware of the grade 11 courses that will be included on your GPA, and that'll make things a lot easier for you.
The only thing that I found makes grade 12 more difficult is just the overall stress. I'm not sure what field I want to go in to, and there is quite a bit of pressure regarding that..at least in my life. But the advice I'll give you for grade 12 is just to make sure you have a few tentative plans for the next year and apply for lots of scholarships early!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of passenger3 passenger3

@safarhealthsci1 wrote

@smarty1 wrote

@slader23 wrote

Your marks actually matter a lot in grade 11 for me, I'm from Saskatchewan, and they're what you put on your university applications.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty31 smarty31
i think grade 11 was harder because grasde 10 was so easy and relaxed
however grade 12 does have the stress from getting into a good uni.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arg19 arg19
there is no difference really.. just harder and more homework and studying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0