yconic - Grade 11-12 U Physics *Decision making* Help me out please!!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 11-12 U Physics *Decision making* Help me out please!!!

A photo of WizardViz WizardViz
Hey guys! I'm in Gr.11 right now and taking all three U sciences this year> bio, chem and physics. Unfortunately, I have all these 3 sciences in this semester! I'm a science scholar in my school in Grade 10. Won a spl.award for doing well on Gr.9 and 10 sciences. I've no idea of what happened to me this year, spl. this semester. I'm doing so bad! Well, I'm doing ew, yucky in SPH3UI, Physics and the other two sciences are good enough. I'm so worried about my mark. I'm somewhere in 60s in Physics because I failed to submit labs and did bad on tests :'( I seriously have no idea of what's going on with me.

I'm getting assignments after assignments, lab write ups after one another, projects after projects, tests after tests from all 3 courses and I'm so exhausted already. Completely hate doing the work with no break. Seriously, Physics in not working for me this year. It's not that I don't get the stuff, but it's more like I am not able to concentrate, relax, sit down and study. Half of my time is fading away while doing labs, assignments, etc. So, considering my poor performance in Physics this year, I've decided to drop Gr.12 Physics from my section list for next year.

I actually wanna study Health Sciences and pursue something in science oriented or medical field. And on the other hand, I'm also interested in Business (CA) and I had already finished all the required Gr.12 courses for it.

Anyways, now my question is , will the low Physics mark on my report card show any repercussion on my university acceptance next year? I'm super worried...actually *sobbing* Everything went out of my hands, uncontrollable :/ Gr.11 Physics totally made me a loser in life for the first time ever. I never had such low marks thus far. So, do you still recommend me to take Physics next year, just in case if I need it for any of the science programs or do you think it's okay if I don't?

Also, how hard is Gr.12 Physics compared to Gr.11?

Thank you so much for your consideration and for your time. If you answer my questions that's gonna help me so much. :cyclops:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of Madss Madss
i'm almost positive you don't need physics for like... any B.Sc haha. Don't stress! You can always redo the class in summer school but seriously you don't need good grade 11 marks. I mean, theyre important but 12 is more important! Don't stress
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tabletop tabletop
Don't worry about it. They only look at your Grade 11 marks for early acceptance and that is only at some schools. For your grade 12 marks for science programs, they usually look at 2 of 3 sciences. So I'd say you are fine. I'd suggest taking something in summer school (a Gr 12 course) so you have sort of a buffer for your top 6 marks needed for university. Don't worry and good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i'm almost positive you don't need physics for like... any B.Sc haha. Don't stress! You can always redo the class in summer school but seriously you don't need good grade 11 marks. I mean, theyre important but 12 is more important! Don't stress

Thank you very much :) and ya, I'm gonna take Gr.12 Earth and Space Science course on online in replacement to Physics. It acually looks pretty easy and of course, when compared to Physics I should say that it's really easy to gain pretty high mark. So, that's what I have thought so far :compress:

Don't worry about it. They only look at your Grade 11 marks for early acceptance and that is only at some schools. For your grade 12 marks for science programs, they usually look at 2 of 3 sciences. So I'd say you are fine. I'd suggest taking something in summer school (a Gr 12 course) so you have sort of a buffer for your top 6 marks needed for university. Don't worry and good luck!

Thanks a bunch! It did give me a little bit of relief and ya, as I stated earlier, I'm thinking of taking Gr.12 Earth Science on online. Do you have any idea about this course? i heard that it's comparatively pretty easy to get a good mark. So I'm gona take it to boost my avg :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm going to be a total bitch and be completely honest with you, so be ready.

Grade 9 and 10 science awards are a joke. In fact, all awards up to grade 11 are a joke. They mean absolutely nothing and in no way are a reflection of your intelligence. They merely show you can do your homework, study well for the tests, and get a good mark, which is great preparation for grade 11 and 12, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will succeed in grade 11 and 12. In my honest opinion for you, I slept through grade 11 physics and still managed high 80s, but I dropped 10% in SPH4U because of my attitude and because it became harder. Now if you find grade 11 physics hard, I suggest you reflect on what you're doing wrong because grade 12 is only going to get harder.

Why do I bring this up?

I'm pretty sure someone told me before that physics is mandatory first year of university for health sciences, so you'll need to take it first year.

Aside from being a total jackass in this post, stop crying about grade 11. Grade 11 means nothing in terms of acceptances unless you want to get early acceptance, which is 100% bragging rights. If you feel confident that you'll do well in your grade 12 science courses(by well, I mean 87%+) then I suggest you pursue them. They open up both the sciences and the business field, and I can assure you if you end up changing your mind to business and you have relatively good marks(85% or so) for your science courses in comparison to your classmates, well, in comparison to those applying to the business field who've taken bird courses and have gotten 95% in them, you're behind, and you'll need extra ECs and leadership roles to help you get into top tier programs such as Queen's or Ivey.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Daruki35 wrote

Grade 9 and 10 science awards are a joke. In fact, all awards up to grade 11 are a joke. They mean absolutely nothing and in no way are a reflection of your intelligence. They merely show you can do your homework, study well for the tests, and get a good mark, which is great preparation for grade 11 and 12, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will succeed in grade 11 and 12. In my honest opinion for you, I slept through grade 11 physics and still managed high 80s, but I dropped 10% in SPH4U because of my attitude and because it became harder. Now if you find grade 11 physics hard, I suggest you reflect on what you're doing wrong because grade 12 is only going to get harder.

Why do I bring this up?

I'm pretty sure someone told me before that physics is mandatory first year of university for health sciences, so you'll need to take it first year.

Aside from being a total jackass in this post, stop crying about grade 11. Grade 11 means nothing in terms of acceptances unless you want to get early acceptance, which is 100% bragging rights. If you feel confident that you'll do well in your grade 12 science courses(by well, I mean 87%+) then I suggest you pursue them. They open up both the sciences and the business field, and I can assure you if you end up changing your mind to business and you have relatively good marks(85% or so) for your science courses in comparison to your classmates, well, in comparison to those applying to the business field who've taken bird courses and have gotten 95% in them, you're behind, and you'll need extra ECs and leadership roles to help you get into top tier programs such as Queen's or Ivey.

Thanks a bunch, Daruki :colors: That's pretty informative and yeah, sure I shall try my best to maintain the marks as high as I can and tonnes of thanks for your concern. You are pretty frank and I LIKE IT! I shall keep this in mah mind :))
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MYDARKHEALTHSCIFANTASY MYDARKHEALTHSCIFANTASY

@Daruki35 wrote

Why do I bring this up?

Everything this guy said is mostly correct

SPH4U0 one of the hardest courses in grade 12

However, one point of contention is his dismissal of the importance of early acceptance. Unless you are applying for Mac Health Sci, which does not give early acceptances whatsoever, most life sci programs will give out early acceptances. Why is this important? Because for some reason, everyone always says "grade 11 marks don't matter, they're just used for early acceptance", without considering the advantages of an early acceptance.

The #1 advantage? Peace of mind. I got accepted into Waterloo Engineering early, and it was a great comfort knowing that my overall top 6 average could fall 10-15% and I could still keep my acceptance. That being said, let's say you have all your bird pre-reqs in semester 1 and you had a good grade 11 performance, and secure an early acceptance. If all your hard courses are in grade 12 second semester, unless you really fall behind, you're still pretty much guaranteed a spot. People who don't get early acceptances have to work twice as hard, hard in 1st semester and hard again in second semester up until midterm. It's all probability really. If I get 100% on 3 tests, the 4th may kill me. If I do well on 4, the 5th may kill me. Despite how well I do, there's still a chance that the next assessment may drop my mark. Now which is better? Knowing that you have to aim for a cutoff of mid 80's pretty much the whole grade 12 year, or knowing that you have to aim for a mid 70's conditional acceptance grade the whole grade 12 year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MYDARKHEALTHSCIFANTASY MYDARKHEALTHSCIFANTASY
So my advice would be:

Do a bird course in summer school (not a pre req, ideally, because you need a good knowledge of that for university) to create a buffer

Don't worry about grade 11 physics, because there's really no second chance for that.

As for whether to take grade 12 physics...not really. It's not needed to get into your program of choice, BUT, I do know people who didn't take grade 12 physics and went into life sci and are currently having trouble with the course in 1st year university.

Do you want to pay now, or later?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MYDARKHEALTHSCIFANTASY wrote
As for whether to take grade 12 physics...not really. It's not needed to get into your program of choice, BUT, I do know people who didn't take grade 12 physics and went into life sci and are currently having trouble with the course in 1st year university.

Quoted for truth. First year physics is very close to gr. 12 physics (at least the physics at my school) in topics. Taking gr. 12 physics would be VERY useful for your foundations. Also, if you're looking to apply to med schools, the MCAT also has a physical sciences section, so there's another reason to continue with physics.

I'm taking grade 12 physics right now. Honestly, it's a hard course, but in terms of material, it isn't a massive jump from Gr. 11. Some of the units like relativity or electromagnetism are weird to grasp conceptually for some people, but that's all I can think of. The math doesn't get noticeably harder.

Also, the question of difficulty aside, it sounds like you do have a noticeable work ethic problem. For that, I'll only state that studying any science is very work-intensive, and it'll only get harder to budget your time and do all your labs in university. If you're not sure that you can handle it in Gr. 11 or 12, that might be an issue.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Grade 11 physics was a huge wake up call for me too. Science was a breeze in grade 9 and 10, and I ended up with 90s without really trying. First 2 tests of grade 11 physics = high60s to low70s D: I worked my butt off for the rest of the semester and ended up receiving mid80s for final.

Grade 12 physics was even harder, but this time I was prepared. It was definitely the course I spent the most time on, I went to the teacher for help(I never do this), asked loads of questions and ended up achieving a high 80 in the course. Even with all that extra effort, physics is my worst mark with the rest of my marks being past the 90 mark.

Anyways, if your university program recommends you take physics, then you should probably take it. But if you feel it's going to affect your chances of getting into university, then maybe take it in summer school before uni starts. Also, don't be discouraged when you don't do well on something, take it as motivation to do better in it. You definitely have the potential to do well in physics but you have to believe in yourself! (oh gosh that's so corny :P) And don't torture yourself and get 3 sciences in a semester, try to take a course in summer school (eg. English) and get a spare in grade 12. Trust me, it helps a lot.

Hope this helps and good luck next year :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran

@Madss wrote
i'm almost positive you don't need physics for like... any B.Sc haha.

Where d'you get your info from?

http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/program-details.php?pcode=0_190206_1104_0

Heres one of MANY examples of BSc requiring SPH4U: ENG4U, MCV4U. Recommended: SBI4U and SCH4U. Many programs also require or recommend SPH4U. Particular attention is paid to English and calculus.

Anyhow, health sciences generally don't require physics however there are certain programs that do require or recommend it (kine being one of them). I completely agree with the people above, physics is one of the hardest gr12 courses... I dropped it this year lol.Grade 12 physics to me, was 10x harder than gr11: went from 89-> 60s first term.

Physics will show up on your transcript,and it may or may not affect your chances of obtaining early acceptance next year. Don't fret too much though, If you're doing well in all your other subjects, just work very hard next year. Do your best and you will pull through.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
A lot of people tend to find grade eleven to be the hardest year. There is a huge jump from grade 10 to grade 11. You have a full course load and the courses become demanding. The expectations are greater and the homework increases. Especially people who decide to go with the sciences.

Learn some strategies to dealing with the work load - you will probably have 2 less classes next year. Try to avoid stacked schedules.

Physics is a very mathematical science. SPH3U involves a lot of very simple mathematics. However, the course encompasses a lot of material. There is definitely a relationship between the time you put in and your marks. You really have to grind through the course if you are doing poorly.

SPH4U and SCH4U are arguably the hardest courses in high school. You will be expected to know the material from the grade eleven courses. Be prepared to put in the time if you want a satisfactory mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@WizardViz wrote
Hey guys! I'm in Gr.11 right now and taking all three U sciences this year> bio, chem and physics. Unfortunately, I have all these 3 sciences in this semester! I'm a science scholar in my school in Grade 10. Won a spl.award for doing well on Gr.9 and 10 sciences. I've no idea of what happened to me this year, spl. this semester. I'm doing so bad! Well, I'm doing ew, yucky in SPH3UI, Physics and the other two sciences are good enough. I'm so worried about my mark. I'm somewhere in 60s in Physics because I failed to submit labs and did bad on tests :'( I seriously have no idea of what's going on with me.

I'm getting assignments after assignments, lab write ups after one another, projects after projects, tests after tests from all 3 courses and I'm so exhausted already. Completely hate doing the work with no break. Seriously, Physics in not working for me this year. It's not that I don't get the stuff, but it's more like I am not able to concentrate, relax, sit down and study. Half of my time is fading away while doing labs, assignments, etc. So, considering my poor performance in Physics this year, I've decided to drop Gr.12 Physics from my section list for next year.

I actually wanna study Health Sciences and pursue something in science oriented or medical field. And on the other hand, I'm also interested in Business (CA) and I had already finished all the required Gr.12 courses for it.

Anyways, now my question is , will the low Physics mark on my report card show any repercussion on my university acceptance next year? I'm super worried...actually *sobbing* Everything went out of my hands, uncontrollable :/ Gr.11 Physics totally made me a loser in life for the first time ever. I never had such low marks thus far. So, do you still recommend me to take Physics next year, just in case if I need it for any of the science programs or do you think it's okay if I don't?

Also, how hard is Gr.12 Physics compared to Gr.11?

Thank you so much for your consideration and for your time. If you answer my questions that's gonna help me so much. :cyclops:

Hey, don't worry. If you must re-take the courses in the summer, do so. A friend of mine did the same for similar reasons. Also the difficulty curve from grade 10 to grade 11 has definately shown itself. When you get to university, you will be very prepared as you'll know what it takes to do well. Everyone has times like this at some point in their life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
It's definitely tough taking all 3 sciences in 1 semester. I've never had to experience it (but it's close enough in university haha). The workload is definitely tough to handle. I think that if youre still interested in sciences at the end of this year, make sure that you dont have all 3 sciences in 1 sem again. Take bio with chem since for grade 12, both cover ochem.

phys gr12 is definitely a jump from gr 11. it's not too bad though, as long as you understand things conceptually. gr 12 is just gr 11, but in both x and y components, haha. totally depends on your teachers though, my teacher gave pretty straight forward tests and he marked assignments/labs easy, so i was lucky there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MYDARKHEALTHSCIFANTASY wrote
So my advice would be:

Do a bird course in summer school (not a pre req, ideally, because you need a good knowledge of that for university) to create a buffer

Don't worry about grade 11 physics, because there's really no second chance for that.

Thanks a lot MYDARKHEALTHSCIFANTASY! I totally agree with you points on early acceptance...I shall work hard to get my marks up and stay high next year. Very helpful info. thanks for your time..I appreciate it :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@maokitty wrote

Quoted for truth. First year physics is very close to gr. 12 physics (at least the physics at my school) in topics. Taking gr. 12 physics would be VERY useful for your foundations. Also, if you're looking to apply to med schools, the MCAT also has a physical sciences section, so there's another reason to continue with physics.

I'm taking grade 12 physics right now. Honestly, it's a hard course, but in terms of material, it isn't a massive jump from Gr. 11. Some of the units like relativity or electromagnetism are weird to grasp conceptually for some people, but that's all I can think of. The math doesn't get noticeably harder.

Also, the question of difficulty aside, it sounds like you do have a noticeable work ethic problem. For that, I'll only state that studying any science is very work-intensive, and it'll only get harder to budget your time and do all your labs in university. If you're not sure that you can handle it in Gr. 11 or 12, that might be an issue.

Hey, Maokitty! You're right..I did have some problems with my work ethic this year! I'm doing my best to modify it, improve and work hard. I see how compete the world is getting right now. Thanks for the advice, I shall keep that in mind :))
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Impasse wrote
Grade 11 physics was a huge wake up call for me too. Science was a breeze in grade 9 and 10, and I ended up with 90s without really trying. First 2 tests of grade 11 physics = high60s to low70s D: I worked my butt off for the rest of the semester and ended up receiving mid80s for final.

I was on the same track as you. Gr.9 and 10 sciences were easy-peezy to me. I did some work on daily basis and aced almost every test. And this year, espl.Physics is a huge shift for me in terms of work load, learning, thinking and everything. I'm hoping to get my mark up and thanks a bunch. Gave me so much of relief :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Quiz wrote

Hey, don't worry. If you must re-take the courses in the summer, do so. A friend of mine did the same for similar reasons. Also the difficulty curve from grade 10 to grade 11 has definately shown itself. When you get to university, you will be very prepared as you'll know what it takes to do well. Everyone has times like this at some point in their life.

Hello, Quiz! I don't think I'm gonna take this Physics course again and re-do it! I figured that I don't need this course, so I'm gonna take something else and study during this summer. You're right about the time, I this is not my year :( However, I'm disappointed, I promised my self to work hard next year. Thank you so much!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aimango wrote
It's definitely tough taking all 3 sciences in 1 semester. I've never had to experience it (but it's close enough in university haha). The workload is definitely tough to handle. I think that if youre still interested in sciences at the end of this year, make sure that you dont have all 3 sciences in 1 sem again. Take bio with chem since for grade 12, both cover ochem.

phys gr12 is definitely a jump from gr 11. it's not too bad though, as long as you understand things conceptually. gr 12 is just gr 11, but in both x and y components, haha. totally depends on your teachers though, my teacher gave pretty straight forward tests and he marked assignments/labs easy, so i was lucky there.

You're of course a lucky one! My physics teacher's tests are pretty hard. He extracts our tests problems from UW cases and other higher stuff. He also exposes us to different stuff, which is good and at the same time, a pain in the butt. Anyways, I like him so much, he's a funny guy and a good teacher. It's all me, who should work hard to keep up to expectations I guess. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Please do not take grade 11 physics in summer school, it is a complete waste of time. If you are worried about falling behind in grade 12 physics because your foundation isn't great, then get a tutor over the summer(in the afternoon, after summer school classes end) and get him to get you caught up and advance you through grade 12 physics. I can assure you it's a waste of time and should be better spent on other subjects such as ENG4U. If you think the summer school ENG4U is tough, then go to a private school and do it. If you think that you'll get penalized for having private school courses, I know someone who knows someone(lol) who spent 2.5k and took all her courses at a private school, got a 95 average and got accepted into Queen's. I've also heard of someone who got into Mac Health Science doing the same thing.

Point is, PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME IN SUMMER SCHOOL SPH3U.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Daruki35 wrote
Please do not take grade 11 physics in summer school, it is a complete waste of time. If you are worried about falling behind in grade 12 physics because your foundation isn't great, then get a tutor over the summer(in the afternoon, after summer school classes end) and get him to get you caught up and advance you through grade 12 physics. I can assure you it's a waste of time and should be better spent on other subjects such as ENG4U. If you think the summer school ENG4U is tough, then go to a private school and do it. If you think that you'll get penalized for having private school courses, I know someone who knows someone(lol) who spent 2.5k and took all her courses at a private school, got a 95 average and got accepted into Queen's. I've also heard of someone who got into Mac Health Science doing the same thing.

Point is, PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME IN SUMMER SCHOOL SPH3U.

Hey, Daruki35! Well, no, I'm not re-doing Physics..lol. I dropped Gr.12 Physics from my course selction and all I'm gonna do is concentrate hard on the other sciences. I heard people saying that SCH4UI gets harder too. So my aim is to ace it well enough. I'm doing great this year and hope to stay on the same pace in chem during next year. And for Bio, definitely I should need to review more ;) Thanks a lot for the advice. I shall not take it and I know how hard it is to do sciences in summer school :p I hope your experience is speaking there..lol :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MLeLe MLeLe
All the sciences @ Rick Hansen were a joke LOL!
actually most of the crap there is ez as hell, unless you take AP.
Was this helpful? Yes 0