yconic - Grade 12 Accounting
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 12 Accounting

A photo of Dyztopia Dyztopia
I'm just wondering if what I learn in grade 12 accounting will be extremely beneficial/useful to me once I go to post secondary (bmos + ivey hopefully, Non-accounting stream).

Currently I'm taking accounting among six other courses and from what i've heard, grade 12 accounting is totally different than first year and so on.
And I'm debating whether not to just drop it and focus more on my other courses.(my other 6 are probably going to be a higher average anyway)

Any thoughts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Some first year accounting courses cover Grade 12 accounting in anywhere from 2-6 weeks, some are almost identical to Grade 12 accounting. It will depend on your teacher for Gr 12 accounting. Some first and second year business students on here said they covered it in 2 or 3 weeks. But I know other people who said it was exactly the same. One guy I know said him and his friends took Grade 12 accounting and found first year accounting really easy. The others did no work and pulled off high marks, but he worked hard and did exceptionally well. I know at my school the accounting course is really good and is almost identical to first year accounting at Laurier.

Either way, it will not hurt to take it. Having some knowledge and experience with the concepts will help, even if it is just for the first few weeks.

I would strongly recommend taking it if you can fit it in. Ask people at your school if it is good and even try to see if graduates from your school now attending university found it useful.

Hope that helps :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci
Yes, more beneficial than most other courses when it comes to business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Definitely recommended. In any business program, you will be introduced to accounting. Taking grade 12 is not only beneficial for you but it is also good to see in the application.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jagseer Jagseer
First of all, u probably know this, but the accounting u learn in high school is BOOKKEEPING, NOT REALLY ACCOUNTING
From what ive heard from some waterloo afm students nd a couple other schools like schulick, first year accounting is almost identical to grade 12, except for 1 or 2 new concepts, so it would definitely help to take it
plus, gr12 accounting is an easy course, as almost half of it is grade 11 review, and u shhould get a good mark.
I was lucky to have a great accounting teacher and students in university who graduated from my school say the accounting course taught them almost all they needed to know
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Jagseer wrote
plus, gr12 accounting is an easy course, as almost half of it is grade 11 review, and u shhould get a good mark.
I was lucky to have a great accounting teacher and students in university who graduated from my school say the accounting course taught them almost all they needed to know

What? We covered Grade 11 stuff in 2 weeks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony

@g93 wrote

@Jagseer wrote

We didn't review any Grade 11, although a few concepts overlapped (obviously). So it will depend on how your high school does it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Do it.

1. It looks good if you're applying to a business school.
2. You'll still cover a bit of accounting regardless of whether or not that's what you want to focus on. So any previous knowledge can't hurt right?
3. It's not that hard lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jagseer Jagseer

@lemony wrote

@g93 wrote

@Jagseer wrote

We didn't review any Grade 11, although a few concepts overlapped (obviously). So it will depend on how your high school does it.

I shouldve written it differently. I meant to say its mostly building on top of grade 11
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Jagseer wrote

@lemony wrote

@g93 wrote

@Jagseer wrote

I shouldve written it differently. I meant to say its mostly building on top of grade 11

Most of the stuff we did had very little to do with the Grade 11 stuff. Obviously Debits will always equal Credits, but most of the stuff we did was completely new and more advanced.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Dyztopia Dyztopia
Thanks for the input guys,

It's not that I find the course difficult, just it is so damn tedious, and as one of the posters above mentioned, it is mostly book keeping.

One of the reasons why I would drop it is because then I would get a spare period so I can; catch up on other work, leave early or work out.

But if the concepts will help me a lot then I will probably keep it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0