yconic - Grade 12 Chemistry
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 12 Chemistry

A photo of Kaff Kaff
So I got an 84 in Grade 11 Chemistry and I really did not deserve it. My teacher was a nice guy but terrible at his job. I did not learn anything in his class whatsoever :/ When school starts next week, I may be able to recognized a few things in SCH4U - but I'm so terrified because I honestly did not take anything out of that course. I purposely made that class to appear in first semester so I can decide after midterm whether I should apply for University (I'm applying to Western for Nursing and Health Sciences). Can anyone who has taken this course give me some guidance as to what I will be exposed to and what I should know?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
In SCH4U,you'll be doing organic chemistry,rates of reaction, equilibrium,acid/base

From what I remember, you will not do anything related to moles :D

Edit:I think there is more in SCH4U than I listed
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
There's also electrochemistry ^.

Get a tutor if you need help, one course shouldn't prevent you from applying to university!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lookatme lookatme

@Oxidize wrote
In SCH4U,you'll be doing organic chemistry,rates of reaction, equilibrium,acid/base

From what I remember, you will not do anything related to moles :D

Edit:I think there is more in SCH4U than I listed

Rates of reaction and acid/base equilibrium is somewhat related to moles and stoichiometry. Even though it's not really related, you should know it in order to get a good foundation on chemistry because the grade eleven chem concepts will keep appearing in the future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alexisjonas alexisjonas
I am tutor, email me if you need any help
alexis.jonas@gmail.com
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ajoshi ajoshi
I just did my SCH4U0 in summer school. I got the condensed curriculum and it was just taught really fast-paced... quizzes every two days; unit tests every four or five days.

For the most part, SCH3U0 and SCH4U0 have nearly nothing in common. The biggest thing we did in SCH3U0 was stoichiometry. If you have your mole ratios down pat, you should be fine, because really, that's all we learn in SCH3U0.

In SCH4U0, the major topics are:
- HEAT (you learn to put energy, in kJ, as a part of the thermochemical equation)
- RATES OF REACTION (how fast reactions occur, what influences this, etc.)
- EQUILIBRIUM SYSTEMS (how they are established, what conditions must exist, etc.)
- ELECTROCHEMISTRY (galvanic and electrolytic cells... kind of physics-ish)
- ORGANIC CHEMISTRY (naming basic organic compounds, drawing organic molecules)

My teacher gave me this fantastic site that helps you with interactive lessons and tutorials for this course. Not all the lessons are that great, but for equilibrium, rates of reaction and electrochemistry, the tutorials are great! Here's the site: http://www.wwnorton.com/college/chemistry/gilbert2/chemtours/chemtour.asp

I say try the first few days of the course. If you are feeling uncomfortable with the pace / material, get a tutor.

Happy studying!
Was this helpful? Yes 0