yconic - Grade 12 Chemistry
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 12 Chemistry

A photo of brady23 brady23
Hey guys,

So I've talked to a lot of grade 12s about Chemistry, and they told me that the teacher is awful.

1) She confuses herself multiple times while teaching.
2) She gets frustrated if you go to extra help, and you still don't understand it after her tutoring you.
3) She knows her stuff but doesn't know how to explain it to students.
4) The class average is in the low 60s.

This teacher is the only grade 12 chemistry teacher, so I'll get her next year. Grade 12 Chemistry is hard enough, and if I can't rely on my teacher to help me, would I be better off taking this course in night school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
You never know.
You could end up liking her and doing really well in her class.
I know that happened to me.
A lot of people said both my Physics and Chem teachers are really hard and that it's hard to do good in their classes, but I actually really like them both.
I'm not afraid to approach either and I'm doing pretty decent in both classes.
I would enroll into her class for like.. the first few weeks of school, and if you feel like you aren't going to succeed in her class after all, drop it.. then enroll into night school or private school or w/e it is that you guys have in Ontario.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23

@cyynthiia wrote
You never know.
You could end up liking her and doing really well in her class.
I know that happened to me.
A lot of people said both my Physics and Chem teachers are really hard and that it's hard to do good in their classes, but I actually really like them both.
I'm not afraid to approach either and I'm doing pretty decent in both classes.
I would enroll into her class for like.. the first few weeks of school, and if you feel like you aren't going to succeed in her class after all, drop it.. then enroll into night school or private school or w/e it is that you guys have in Ontario.

Yeah, but its not the low class average that worries me, its the fact that she confuses herself and gets mad when you don't understand something after she tutors you.

And I really want to take Accounting, so I was thinking of dropping Chem, take it in Night School, and replace with Accounting. Would you recommend that though?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
From your other thread it seems like you're leaning more towards a science kind of path..
But are you thinking of business too?
Cuz if it's science that you want to go into..
I know most eastern universities want Bio and Chem with Phys recommended, unless it was Engineering, which requires both Chem and Phys
So if you're wanting to go into science.. you need to get that chem in somehow.
If you're worried about the teacher/class.. then drop it.
But I'd honestly try it out for half a month or so before deciding that I want to drop out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@brady23 wrote
Hey guys,

So I've talked to a lot of grade 12s about Chemistry, and they told me that the teacher is awful.

1) She confuses herself multiple times while teaching.
2) She gets frustrated if you go to extra help, and you still don't understand it after her tutoring you.
3) She knows her stuff but doesn't know how to explain it to students.
4) The class average is in the low 60s.

This teacher is the only grade 12 chemistry teacher, so I'll get her next year. Grade 12 Chemistry is hard enough, and if I can't rely on my teacher to help me, would I be better off taking this course in night school?

If I were you, I'd just try to get through the course with that teacher. I think it'll look better on your transcript, and also you'll learn how to handle courses with awful teachers. In grade 12, I had an awesome physics teacher and finished top of the class (same with chem and bio). Now I am struggling in physics because often I just can't be bothered listening to the prof, taking notes, or going to class since they essentially read off slides and pull equations out of nowhere assuming they are already second nature to us.
Was this helpful? Yes 0