yconic - Grade 12 Course Selection
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 12 Course Selection

A photo of kseo95 kseo95

@kseo95 wrote
Hello, I'm a grade 11 student in B.C. and I'm wondering if my course selection
for next year would be beneficial for me or not.
Because of me being stupid and taking regular science in grade 10, I am about to
face a very challenging year.

English 12
AP Calculus
AP Psychology
AP Economics
AP Chemistry
Physics 12 (or AP Physics)
Financial Accounting 12
[AP Computer Science]
Weight Training 12PM

I currently have about 87% average at school, but I believe I can do much better
than this if I stop procrastinating.

Questions
1) I'm trying keep my options open for both Sciences and Business programs in
post-secondary. Is this going to take way too much effort?
2) For Sciences, I don't have any Biology credit for grade 11 or 12.
Is this going to affect me applying for sciences?
[I'm considering of taking Biology 12 in summer school.]
3) Are my courses too irrelevant for my majors?
4) I'm trying to take 5 AP exams. Which would be the easiest 5?
[Calculus, Statistics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Computer Science,
Chemistry, Psychology]

Universities I want to get in are UBC, UT or McGill.

I look forward to your responses.

I'm just curious as to why you are taking AP subjects as opposed to regular ones. I took 3APs ( with 2 highest possible marks) and did not help in anyway especially Western and Guelph . AP is supposed to show University that you are serious about university (atleast that's what we were told) and University will supposedly look at the extra effort you had put in. Yes, I am also aware that you can get additional 1st year credits, but then I am being discouraged since 1st year GPA is still counted ,so why would you want to take 2nd year courses in 1st year.

You kinda need Biology for all Science programs .....

All 3 universities are pretty competitive , so in my opinion depending on the major , I wouldn't take AP subjects unless you know for a fact that your marks will be much higher in AP than regular subjects. Why the unneccesary stress ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@kseo95 wrote
Hello, I'm a grade 11 student in B.C. and I'm wondering if my course selection
for next year would be beneficial for me or not.
Because of me being stupid and taking regular science in grade 10, I am about to
face a very challenging year.

English 12
AP Calculus
AP Psychology
AP Economics
AP Chemistry
Physics 12 (or AP Physics)
Financial Accounting 12
[AP Computer Science]
Weight Training 12PM

I currently have about 87% average at school, but I believe I can do much better
than this if I stop procrastinating.

Questions
1) I'm trying keep my options open for both Sciences and Business programs in
post-secondary. Is this going to take way too much effort?
2) For Sciences, I don't have any Biology credit for grade 11 or 12.
Is this going to affect me applying for sciences?
[I'm considering of taking Biology 12 in summer school.]
3) Are my courses too irrelevant for my majors?
4) I'm trying to take 5 AP exams. Which would be the easiest 5?
[Calculus, Statistics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Computer Science,
Chemistry, Psychology]

I look forward to your responses.

I'm just curious as to why you are taking AP subjects as opposed to regular ones. I took 3APs ( with 2 highest possible marks) and did not help in anyway especially Western and Guelph . AP is supposed to show University that you are serious about university (atleast that's what we were told) and University will supposedly look at the extra effort you had put in. Yes, I am also aware that you can get additional 1st year credits, but then I am being discouraged since 1st year GPA is still counted ,so why would you want to take 2nd year courses in 1st year.

You kinda need Biology for all Science programs .....

All 3 universities are pretty competitive , so in my opinion depending on the major , I wouldn't take AP subjects unless you know for a fact that your marks will be much higher in AP than regular subjects. Why the unneccesary stress ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LegendLen LegendLen
Unless biology is a direct requirement to whatever you choose, not having it doesn't mean it will hurt you, as long as you don't have holes anywhere else.

Going to AP Chemistry without any kind of preparation is difficult, you will have to work very hard. However I believe you have made the right choice, as chemistry will often open more doors than physics or biology.

As for your exams...I don't think it's something you have to worry about yet. As you go into a course you'll realize what you're strong at.

The thing is UBC and UT, McGill can accept applicants very differently. AP will probably be more beneficial to your western universities. UBC is pretty competitive, you'll want a lot of supporting personalty and "life" experience to supplement any "poor" marks you may receive in AP.
Was this helpful? Yes 0