yconic - Grade 12 courses to be a lawyer??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 12 courses to be a lawyer??

A photo of MegaDaanish MegaDaanish
Hi, I am in grade 12 and I was thinking of being a lawyer. I just wanted to know that what courses should I take as my top 6 including english in grade 12 for university? and I also wanted to know that which university should I consider going into?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
It really depends on what you want to study as an undergrad. There isn't really one specific path that you need to become a lawyer... law schools accept people with everything from degrees in English to degrees in math, and pretty much everything in between. Keep in mind though that strong written and verbal communication is essential for law. Just make sure you have your required courses for university admission and you'll be fine.

As for university choice, it really doesn't make much of a difference for Canadian law schools. You're going to get a decent education at any of them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
You can take any courses that will allow you to get into a university program. For example, statistics show that Math majors do extremely well on the LSAT. Law majors tend to do poorly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_School_Admission_Test#Scoring
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
There are no courses in high school that would directly help you be a lawyer, but you should be strong in grade 12 law, history, and English, for starters.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Check Macleans for the best law schools in Canada:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/09/16/ranking-canada%E2%80%99s-law-schools/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
LOL, grade 12 courses for LAW SCHOOL. LOL.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@ARMY101 wrote
There are no courses in high school that would directly help you be a lawyer, but you should be strong in grade 12 law, history, and English, for starters.

This.

If you want to be a lawyer, law makes sense.

History can be a good one to take for obvious reasons, as well as English.

Besides that, take what you are interested in. It doesn't really matter what your undergrad is in if you want to become a lawyer. There is no sense taking biology even though you hate it just because you think that you will be able to figure out why people commit crimes from that course (stupid example).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ElainaWalker ElainaWalker
Becoming a lawyer usually takes 7 years of full-time study after high school, 4 years of undergraduate study, followed by 3 years of law school. And law school applicants must have a bachelor’s degree to qualify for admission. So there is no high school course as such which would directly lead to lawyer profession.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asyeda asyeda

@ktel wrote
You can take any courses that will allow you to get into a university program. For example, statistics show that Math majors do extremely well on the LSAT. Law majors tend to do poorly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_School_Admission_Test#Scoring

Would like to add that majors that concentrate on logical reasoning are a good prep when writing the LSAT in general - so they don't necessarily have to be 'mathematical' in nature, Philosophy is another great alternative for example.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
You can take courses that will help develope valuable skills for the trade. You can take mathematics and physics to build your problem solving skills. You could take drama to help with presentation and communication. Obviously, you would want to take courses that involve writing (history and English).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Skookybird Skookybird

@immaculatedx wrote
LOL, grade 12 courses for LAW SCHOOL. LOL.

Was that really necessary?
Was this helpful? Yes 0