yconic - Grade 12 Courses
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 12 Courses

A photo of brady23 brady23
Can you guys give me your say about these courses if you have taken them:

Semester 1
MHF4U - Advanced Functions
SBI4U - Biology
SPH4U - Physics
ICS4U - Computer Science

Semester 2
SCH4U - Chemistry
FSF4U - French
MCV4U - Calculus
CIA4U - Economics (or should I take Accounting or Finance?)

1. Difficulty compared to grade 11 course
2. How is it different to the grade 11 course?
3. Workload (out of 10, rate the workload and difficulty)
4. How much homework every night including studying
5. How difficult is it to grasp the concepts and what is the best way of doing it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of saber33 saber33
I would say there are no hard or easy courses in high school. There are only hard or easy teachers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I took all of those subjects except physics and comp sci.

I found grade 12 econ, chem and bio easier than their grade 11 counterparts. Calc was easier than advanced functions for me. Grade 12 French is pretty much the same as grade 11. Easiest courses were calc/bio. How difficult the course is and how much work involved really depends on the teacher though.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I'm taking/already took everything on your list except for Computer Science and Economics because they don't offer those courses here in BC, not at my school, at least.

Since all those courses ARE academic, the workload is a little bit more than minimum. It really depends how hard of a worker you are. Courses like French and Biology, I found to be super easy, but math based courses like Calculus and Physics.. I've always struggled with them.

It's really hard to say for everyone, it also depends heavily on your teacher and their teaching style. I've retaken 2 courses and I've found different teachers and different teaching/learning styles have a huge effect on my grade.

The only courses that would really require some thinking and understand is probably physics and calculus.. the other courses are pretty much.. either.. plug and chug.. or straight forward memorization kind of courses.. at least that's the way I perceive them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jacks93 jacks93
I have taken biology 12 and chem 12 and I found them both very fun courses. I'm by no means smart, for me I have to work very hard just to get a B let alone an A, and for me I found them to be easy if you pay attention and ask questions. Even if you are scared to ask questions in front of the class like I am, you just have to ask them because thats the only way you will every learn.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I took biology 12 and loved it. It was mainly memorization work but I am very good with that so i was able to do good. But when it comes to chemistry i struggle. i chose not to take it in grade 12 as i could barely get through it in grade 10 science lol. Economics is a great course as well as physics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of baller25 baller25
I took French and Advance Functions in semester 1

Advanced Functions: I found Advanced functions fairly good at first, I had a 72 at mid term but when Trig Identities came up, it was pretty much downhill at that unit. Final mark 67 :( , There is HMK everyday so make sure you do it!!

French: I really liked this course, It is slightly more challenging from grade 11 because of new grammar points, more reading, and more writing. The new concepts you learn though are not to hard to grasp. Out of 10, I would rate the workload 7-8 because there are times where writing essays and reading novels will just take up your day. Final Mark 84 :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jvb Jvb
I'm currently in grade 11, but I've taken Chem 12 and am currently in Calc 12 for my second semester. (I'm also from BC, so I'm not sure if there's a major difference in the curriculum or anything...) Nonetheless, here's what I think about these courses:

Chemistry 12
I found it more difficult, but still a fairly easy course (I think it really depends on your teacher!)
We had to do a lot more random memorization - like memorizing enthalpy graphs and definitions and such
I had barely any homework, but studied quite a bit so I'd give it a 5 :) (probably because of my teacher - he was pretty slack)
Maybe half an hour? Not much at all.
5. How difficult is it to grasp the concepts and what is the best way of doing it?
It's much more abstract than Chem 11 I would say, but not too difficult... As long as you go through your notes you'll be good to go.

Calculus
Compared to math 12, apparently (according to my teacher) Calculus 12 is a breeze (and so far it's pretty simple.) Compared to math 11 though, I'd say it's slightly harder
Again, more abstract thinking...
So far pretty light workload... but I like math, so it depends on who you are and what you like... personally I'd give it a 6.
I can't really say for the course as a whole, but currently I'm doing about 30 minutes a night.
Not quite sure yet... but as of right now, it's pretty simple!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of catcrazy catcrazy
Physics 12 seems very similiar to Physics 11 for the first half of the year. Workload for all courses is determined by the teacher, adn how quickly you are able to grasp concepts. good luck to you with only academic courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the comments guys.

Does this schedule look balanced to you? What changes would you make in the scheduling of these courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of trollface101 trollface101
I've taken FSF4U, MHF 4U, English 4U and Chemistry 4U,

I'd say that core french is as easy as ever, no complaints got an easy 90,

Function killed me and i got a 67 cuz my teacher had ridiculous tests and was terrible at teaching in the first place, but also I didnt do all my homework which all combined to result in a 65 at midterm, 67 final. You just need a decent teacher and good work habits,

Chem was probably the most content intensive course I've taken so far in High School, a lot of people struggled with it, a few of the units are significantly more difficult than others such as acid-base equilibrium and enthalpy, i dropped from an 87 at midterm to an 80 final.

English in grade 12 is nothing new really, just pray for a teacher that isnt horrible and you'll be fine if you can write well, i received an 86 in that course, worked my butt off though
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of srowat srowat
For me, there are so many courses that I want to take and not enough high school time. I don't think I like things, and then I get a great teacher and I start to like it and it gets added to my Courses that I want to take but don't have time for list. It is a really long list! Also, do extra credits do much for getting into University? I have heard it both ways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks guys!

Should I take Economics or Financial Securities? I want the one that is easier, and has less of a workload. And should I take grade 12 French?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks guys!

Should I take Accounting, Economics or Financial Securities? I want the one that is easier, and has less of a workload. And should I take grade 12 French or Data instead?

Was this helpful? Yes 0