yconic - Grade 12 Courses
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 12 Courses

A photo of brady23 brady23
Can you guys give me your say about these courses if you have taken them:

1. ENG4U - English
2. FSF4U - French
3. MHF4U - Advanced Functions
4. MCV4U - Calculus
5. CIA4U - Economics
6. SBI4U - Biology
7. SCH4U - Chemistry
8. SPH4U - Physics
9. ICS4U - Computer Science

1. Difficulty compared to grade 11 course (except Economics)
2. How is it different to the grade 11 course?
3. How would you rate the workload out of 10? (10 - heavy, 0 - light)
4. How would you rate the difficulty out of 10? (10 - super difficult, 0 - easy)
5. How much homework every night including studying?
6. How difficult is it to grasp the concepts and what is the best way of doing it?

You don't have to answer all these questions. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I swear we've talked about this before.
But I guess I can repeat some stuff here and there. :)
I've taken everything on your list except for Economics and Comp Sci since we don't offer it here in BC, but here goes...

English
1. About the same. There isn't really much "new" stuff you learn at the senior level. It's mostly just reading more books and plays and writing more essays. You might learn a few new literary devices/terms, but that's really it.
2. It's not really. Just the reading level increases.
3. This depends on the teacher. I would say anywhere from a 4 to 7..
4. For me, it was about a 3 or 4.. English has always been my strong point.
5. None. Or rarely at all, except for the take-home essays. All the other essays and written pieces are done in class. Oh but there is the occasional reading that you have to do at home.
6. It's not hard - at all.

French
1. Also about the same. There's just a few more verb tenses and grammar points that you have to learn (Subjonctif, Plus-que-parfait, etc), but they're all very similar.
2. Also the same as English, it's not really different, just the difficulty level increases a little and you're expected to be able to read/write a little more.
3. For me, its about a 2. I never have French homework unless it's a project, but that depend son the teacher once agian.
4. 2 once again. I've won the Top French award for the past 2 years, probably going to win it again this year (not to be cocky or anything), so languages come pretty naturally for me. But if you're getting an A or better in French 11, French 12 is definitely not a problem for you.
5. None, once again. :P I always finish it in class. It's just grammar that you need to practice.
6. Practice makes perfect. Just practice all the grammar and read/write as much as you can.

Adv Functions & Calc
1. Adv Functions is a lot harder than grade 12, I would think. Calculus is on the same level as Adv Functions, but I personally found calculus easier of the two.
2. The formulas and ideas you learn in both classes are nothing like those you learn in Math 11. Not even close. I don't remember applying any grade 11 concepts to my grade 12 math. Calculus does overlap a little with Adv Functions though, so it'll be tricky if you take both in one semester.
3. 7-8.. math is one of those things that take a LOT of time, patience, and practice.
4. For me personally, I would say an 8. I am NOT a math kind of person, so it took me HOURS of non-stop studying before I understood the concept, but it's different for everyone right. It really depends on how well you can study and understand.
5. Adv Functions was like.. an hour of homework... but at least 5-6 hours of studying.. Calculus.. dang.. for me.. 2 hours of homework and DAYS of studying.
6. It's quite difficult in the beginning - for both. But once you start getting the hang of it, it's all the same. Like I said before, for everything.. practice makes perfect.

Biology
1. It's harder than Bio 11 for sure, but not too much harder.
2. Bio 11 is based mostly on cytology, animals, and plants - at least here in BC. Bio 12 is based solely on the human body system. We learnt all the systems in the body, as well as a little on DNA, protein synthesis, and a tiny bit on cytology.
3. This is an exceptional case. 0. LOL. My teacher gave NOOOOO homework, or very rare. There was the occasional project, but nothing outside of that really.
4. Like a 3 or 4. Biology isn't very heavily concept based - it's mostly memorization.
5. None. :P Studying usually consisted of reading over notes the night before. =D
6. It's not hard. Bio is the easiest science I would say. You just have to read it a few times and make sure you understand what you're reading because everything links together in the end.

Chemistry
1. A lot harder than grade 11 Chem.
2. Chem 11 was a lot more math from what I remember. A LOTTT of calculations. Grade 12 chem is a lot more concept, as well as a lot more fun but more challenging and longer labs.
3. Ehhhhhh.. 4 or 5. My teacher gives out review sheets and homework, but whether we do it or not is up to us.
4. 7 or 8 once again. Chem 12, like I said, is a lot of concept.
5. Mmmmm.. not much homework.. around 3-5 hours of studying for tests.
6. Time. and Patience. Definitely. Understand the concept and logic behind everything and you'll be good.

Physics
1. Hmmmmmmmm, half of Physics 12 is kind of like a review of Physics 11 but in greater depth, so it's not too challenging if you made it through Physics 11 successfully.
2. The first half is a review of Physics 11, except that it's in three dimensions. Physics 11 dealt with stuff that was in 2D, but Physics 12 is now 3D.. that would be the Kinematics and Dynamics units. The second half.. Electricity kind of units.. are going to be completely new.. except for the circuits, which shows up in grade 10 science a lot.
3. Hmmmm.. I think Physics is the hardest science for most people, so the workload is going to be a bit heavier.. 5?
4. Hmmm.. I'm taking physics for the second time right now, so I pretty much understand 80% of it, but for someone taking it for the first time, it could be a lot more difficult.. I would say its about a 6.
5. This question always depends on the teacher. My teacher is nice enough not to overwhelm us with homework. We usually get about 6-7 practice problems every class, which isn't too bad. Studying takes me about 2 hours.
6. Practice - once again. Do the practice problems that your teacher hands out, as well as go through the ones in your textbook. The concept for all the questions are going to be similar, but the situations could be different, so you have to know which concept to apply to which situation.

PHEWWW.
That was a LOT of typing.
I hope you have a better general understanding of the difficulty of every course. I know it's not a lot of detail but I didn't want to make it TOO lengthy, but if you have any more specific questions about any of the courses I mentioned, feel free to ask me. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
I swear we've talked about this before.
But I guess I can repeat some stuff here and there. :)
I've taken everything on your list except for Economics and Comp Sci since we don't offer it here in BC, but here goes...

English
1. About the same. There isn't really much "new" stuff you learn at the senior level. It's mostly just reading more books and plays and writing more essays. You might learn a few new literary devices/terms, but that's really it.
2. It's not really. Just the reading level increases.
3. This depends on the teacher. I would say anywhere from a 4 to 7..
4. For me, it was about a 3 or 4.. English has always been my strong point.
5. None. Or rarely at all, except for the take-home essays. All the other essays and written pieces are done in class. Oh but there is the occasional reading that you have to do at home.
6. It's not hard - at all.

French
1. Also about the same. There's just a few more verb tenses and grammar points that you have to learn (Subjonctif, Plus-que-parfait, etc), but they're all very similar.
2. Also the same as English, it's not really different, just the difficulty level increases a little and you're expected to be able to read/write a little more.
3. For me, its about a 2. I never have French homework unless it's a project, but that depend son the teacher once agian.
4. 2 once again. I've won the Top French award for the past 2 years, probably going to win it again this year (not to be cocky or anything), so languages come pretty naturally for me. But if you're getting an A or better in French 11, French 12 is definitely not a problem for you.
5. None, once again. :P I always finish it in class. It's just grammar that you need to practice.
6. Practice makes perfect. Just practice all the grammar and read/write as much as you can.

Adv Functions & Calc
1. Adv Functions is a lot harder than grade 12, I would think. Calculus is on the same level as Adv Functions, but I personally found calculus easier of the two.
2. The formulas and ideas you learn in both classes are nothing like those you learn in Math 11. Not even close. I don't remember applying any grade 11 concepts to my grade 12 math. Calculus does overlap a little with Adv Functions though, so it'll be tricky if you take both in one semester.
3. 7-8.. math is one of those things that take a LOT of time, patience, and practice.
4. For me personally, I would say an 8. I am NOT a math kind of person, so it took me HOURS of non-stop studying before I understood the concept, but it's different for everyone right. It really depends on how well you can study and understand.
5. Adv Functions was like.. an hour of homework... but at least 5-6 hours of studying.. Calculus.. dang.. for me.. 2 hours of homework and DAYS of studying.
6. It's quite difficult in the beginning - for both. But once you start getting the hang of it, it's all the same. Like I said before, for everything.. practice makes perfect.

Biology
1. It's harder than Bio 11 for sure, but not too much harder.
2. Bio 11 is based mostly on cytology, animals, and plants - at least here in BC. Bio 12 is based solely on the human body system. We learnt all the systems in the body, as well as a little on DNA, protein synthesis, and a tiny bit on cytology.
3. This is an exceptional case. 0. LOL. My teacher gave NOOOOO homework, or very rare. There was the occasional project, but nothing outside of that really.
4. Like a 3 or 4. Biology isn't very heavily concept based - it's mostly memorization.
5. None. :P Studying usually consisted of reading over notes the night before. =D
6. It's not hard. Bio is the easiest science I would say. You just have to read it a few times and make sure you understand what you're reading because everything links together in the end.

Chemistry
1. A lot harder than grade 11 Chem.
2. Chem 11 was a lot more math from what I remember. A LOTTT of calculations. Grade 12 chem is a lot more concept, as well as a lot more fun but more challenging and longer labs.
3. Ehhhhhh.. 4 or 5. My teacher gives out review sheets and homework, but whether we do it or not is up to us.
4. 7 or 8 once again. Chem 12, like I said, is a lot of concept.
5. Mmmmm.. not much homework.. around 3-5 hours of studying for tests.
6. Time. and Patience. Definitely. Understand the concept and logic behind everything and you'll be good.

Physics
1. Hmmmmmmmm, half of Physics 12 is kind of like a review of Physics 11 but in greater depth, so it's not too challenging if you made it through Physics 11 successfully.
2. The first half is a review of Physics 11, except that it's in three dimensions. Physics 11 dealt with stuff that was in 2D, but Physics 12 is now 3D.. that would be the Kinematics and Dynamics units. The second half.. Electricity kind of units.. are going to be completely new.. except for the circuits, which shows up in grade 10 science a lot.
3. Hmmmm.. I think Physics is the hardest science for most people, so the workload is going to be a bit heavier.. 5?
4. Hmmm.. I'm taking physics for the second time right now, so I pretty much understand 80% of it, but for someone taking it for the first time, it could be a lot more difficult.. I would say its about a 6.
5. This question always depends on the teacher. My teacher is nice enough not to overwhelm us with homework. We usually get about 6-7 practice problems every class, which isn't too bad. Studying takes me about 2 hours.
6. Practice - once again. Do the practice problems that your teacher hands out, as well as go through the ones in your textbook. The concept for all the questions are going to be similar, but the situations could be different, so you have to know which concept to apply to which situation.

PHEWWW.
That was a LOT of typing.
I hope you have a better general understanding of the difficulty of every course. I know it's not a lot of detail but I didn't want to make it TOO lengthy, but if you have any more specific questions about any of the courses I mentioned, feel free to ask me. :)

OMG...what an exhaustive description! I never thought I would get this type of response. Thank you so much! :D

I heard something about the Hebden Study Guide for Chemistry? Would that help me out for Chem 12? Are there any other resources out there that would help me out for biology, functions, calculus, physics, chem, french, or english?

And if you were in my position, would you agree this is a balanced semester considering the difficulty of the subjects?

1st Sem - Biology, Physics, Advanced Functions, Economics
2nd Sem - Computer Science, Chemistry, Calculus, French
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PaperPen PaperPen
I would switch Biology and Chemistry.
Biology, at least at my school, had a intensive Biochemistry unit, which would be extremely difficult to succeed in if you didn't know some of the concepts taught in Chemistry already.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Haha yeah that took me a LONG while to type but you're very welcome, glad I could help in some way. :)
YES.
Hebden = God of Chem 12.
But I don't know if you'll have it in Ontario. We have it in BC and it helps a LOT. It summarizes a lot of chapters so that it's easier to study, but has practice problems at the same time.

As for what Paper said,
I'm not sure about your school, but if it were my school, I'd keep it the way it is right now.
The biochem stuff in chem doesn't even come till the later part of the year, so by that time... useless.. cuz biochem in bio comes at the BEGINNING. But once again, that depends on your teacher and how much they want to emphasize on each unit.
If you switched the two, you could have a pretty easy sem 2.
French is easy peasy.
Bio shouldn't be a problem if you're good at memorizing.
I'm sure Comp Sci won't be too bad.
So you really only need to put a lot of attention on Calc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump. Do you guys have any tips or advice on my courses? (like what to look out for, hard units, easy units, etc.)?

Sem 1 - Advanced Functions, French, Biology, Chemistry
Sem 2 - Calculus & Vectors, Physics, Finance, English

For example, in Chemistry we're studying Atomic Theory and in Advanced Functions we're studying factoring. Anything I need to watch out for, any tips, and just general advice? Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@brady23 wrote
bump. Do you guys have any tips or advice on my courses? (like what to look out for, hard units, easy units, etc.)?

Sem 1 - Advanced Functions, French, Biology, Chemistry
Sem 2 - Calculus & Vectors, Physics, Finance, English

For example, in Chemistry we're studying Atomic Theory and in Advanced Functions we're studying factoring. Anything I need to watch out for, any tips, and just general advice? Thanks!

In advanced functions watch out for rationals...the graphin part.
Was this helpful? Yes 0