yconic - Grade 12 Courses!!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 12 Courses!!!

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
okay so I have taken two grade 12 courses in grade 11 and I am completing one in summer school. This is what I have for next year

Grade 12 Courses by September 2011:

1. MDM 4U0 (87)
2. MHF 4U0 (84)
3. ENG 4U0 (Summer school)

2011-2012 Schedule
First Semester:
PSE 4U0
SPARE
PPL 40M
Lunch
BBB 4M0

Second Semester:
BAT 4M0
SPARE
MCV 4U0
Lunch
TGJ 4M0 (this is communications tech:not sure if the course code is correct)

So my question is this schedule balanced. I don't too much work because I usually have other extra curricular I have to handle. Keep in mind that I want to apply for accounting/business at: Brock, Wilfred Laurier, Waterloo, McMaster, York (just for fun), and Queens.

My main concerns are with exercise science (PSE) and calculus and vectors (MCV).

Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of AhIsee AhIsee

@Viking21 wrote
okay so I have taken two grade 12 courses in grade 11 and I am completing one in summer school. This is what I have for next year

Grade 12 Courses by September 2011:

1. MDM 4U0 (87)
2. MHF 4U0 (84)
3. ENG 4U0 (Summer school)

2011-2012 Schedule
First Semester:
PSE 4U0
SPARE
PPL 40M
Lunch
BBB 4M0

Second Semester:
BAT 4M0
SPARE
MCV 4U0
Lunch
TGJ 4M0 (this is communications tech:not sure if the course code is correct)

So my question is this schedule balanced. I don't too much work because I usually have other extra curricular I have to handle. Keep in mind that I want to apply for accounting/business at: Brock, Wilfred Laurier, Waterloo, McMaster, York (just for fun), and Queens.

My main concerns are with exercise science (PSE) and calculus and vectors (MCV).

2 spares, nice. I don't see any problem with the layout, 2 mixed courses per sem (I see mixed usually as easier courses, but business can be time consuming sometimes). My only suggestion would be due to human nature, people tend to slack during the 2nd semester especially with summer around the corner, maybe trying swappng MCV to first sem and PSE to 2nd? PSE from what I've read from google reminds me of the biology approach which is more memorization rather than hands on homework such as calc, however, if you take extra curricular, it also depends on which semester you have more of those activities.

Tough call, personally for me, MCV homework took a couple of hours everyday (when I did it lol), so I had to put time into it. Biology for me (since I didn't take anything else closer to PSE) also took time to read and re-read the textbook.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Not sure if this applies to all schools, but I've never seen a first semester MCV4U class. Everyone always takes MHF4U (whether it is a pre-req or not) before it, and its always scheduled that way. I don't think the amount of fast-trackers and summer schoolers constitute opening an entire class for first semester; it just ends up being like five classes in the second semester. Similarly, MHF4U always has a lot of first semester classes, and maybe one or two second for those who didn't take MCV4U or want to fast-track.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
The courses I chose in February is different from what the courses I have right now. Instead of communications tech I had BOH 4M0, and instead of exercise science I had ICS 4U0. My school screwed me over big time... 1. BBB 4M0 and ICS 4U0 fell in the same time slot so I had to drop one of them and since I had only 6 courses I needed to take another course, this course ended up being communications tech... 2. I had calculus and vectors first semester but then they decided to cancel that course in the first semester because there were only 11 people in the class so after this happened I had to go and find another calc course 2nd semester and with my bad luck there were all full except one in my BOH 4M0, so even though I didn't want to drop it...I did.

This is the sad story of my life...for a period of one week guidance counselors were calling me down at least once a day.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AhIsee AhIsee

@Viking21 wrote
The courses I chose in February is different from what the courses I have right now. Instead of communications tech I had BOH 4M0, and instead of exercise science I had ICS 4U0. My school screwed me over big time... 1. BBB 4M0 and ICS 4U0 fell in the same time slot so I had to drop one of them and since I had only 6 courses I needed to take another course, this course ended up being communications tech... 2. I had calculus and vectors first semester but then they decided to cancel that course in the first semester because there were only 11 people in the class so after this happened I had to go and find another calc course 2nd semester and with my bad luck there were all full except one in my BOH 4M0, so even though I didn't want to drop it...I did.

This is the sad story of my life...for a period of one week guidance counselors were calling me down at least once a day.

Ahha that kinda sucks, for my school, AF was a pre-req for Calc so there were only 2nd sem classes, however, with your timetable at the moment, you should be more than fine. I had Calculus, Religion (Mixed), lunch, Biology (U), Chemistry (U), still passed all of them, even though I didn't do so great in calc, had to sacrifice it for my university pre-req's (Bio + Chem, Religion was my "bird" mixed course lol).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Shouldn't be too hard. Use your spares effectively and focus on calculus and the U/M courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
I'm sorry to hear about all those conflicts you faced. During your second semester spare, I suggest you spend mostly on doing any homework from Grade 12 Accounting or doing last minute review for Calculus and Vectors more than anything. Whatever you do, make the best use of it, because it sounds like it could really serve you to your advantage.
Was this helpful? Yes 0