yconic - Grade 12 Data (MDM4U)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 12 Data (MDM4U)

A photo of brady23 brady23
Hey guys,

Can you give me some info/your experiences on this course?

Like, do you get homework everyday, how big is the workload, is it worth taking it if you don't really need it?

Would you guys recommend this course in summer school and do I have to do a culminating project in summer school? I want to take it for the knowledge gain, so would it be worth it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of sillyrabbit sillyrabbit
Listen dude I think that you should just trust your own skills and STOP FUCKINGG ASKING US ABOUT EVERY FUCKINGG COURSE YOUR GONNA TAKE GODDAMM..............that being said Data is the easiest math out of the three maths in grade 12.....you should do your homework cuz that will give you a guaranteed high mark......I got and 80 in the course without doing much studying....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
^ Sorry but I highly disagree with the guy above me.

I am taking Data right now, take some advice from me.

Here are some things you NEED to know:

DATA IS HARD.
You get it or don't.
It all depends on your teacher, how she teaches/makes the tests.

I find it a lot harder than Gr.11 Functions (which I was good at)..
It requires you to think in many ways, and I have a test coming up and this permutations unit is sooooooooooo confusing!!

You just need brainpower to get by in this course and apply what you know, how you know it.

If you got lower than an 80 in Gr.11 functions, TAKE IT. Some people that aren't good at gr.11 functions could find this course useful.

However, if you got over an 80, don't sacrifice Adv. functions/calculus for it. Take all 3 if you have to, or don't take data.

I plan on taking all 3, Data this year and the other 2 next year.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew
I agree that you will either find Data very easy or very hard. You will quickly find out which category you're in. If you find it difficult, I suggest doing all the homework and asking your teacher for help if you need it.

I personally don't know of any programs that require Data, but plenty of social science (psychology, sociology, etc.) programs RECOMMEND it. If you're going into one of those programs, then I strongly suggest you take it since you'll have to take research methods/statistics in university.

Yes, there is a culminating activity that is usually worth 15% of your final mark. No, I do not recommend taking it in summer school, especially if you're going into a university social science program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AsianFail93 AsianFail93

@sillyrabbit wrote
Listen dude I think that you should just trust your own skills and STOP screwINGG ASKING US ABOUT EVERY screwINGG COURSE YOUR GONNA TAKE GODDAMM..............that being said Data is the easiest math out of the three maths in grade 12.....you should do your homework cuz that will give you a guaranteed high mark......I got and 80 in the course without doing much studying....

high marks =/= 80. I got a 90 without doing much studying so yeah(and 90 aint super high).

Anyways I found adv. to be easier but data for me was pretty simple(then again good teacher). I found data to be quite logic based so it really depends on how you think. Personally, if you get the whole culminating research project in summer school, it seems a bit crammed (although you can work day in-day out on the project). At our school, we had one month to work on the project so that amounts to the same class time as about a week in summer school I believe(but the project should be spread over a longer period of time).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of r2k1 r2k1
I agree data can be hard or easy depending on what kind of a learner you are. It's definetly different from functions and calc but it does require a lot of work and understanding to do well in the course. I think if you can fit it into your schedule you should take it but then again there are easier bird courses out there you could take to bolster your average. Good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Really depends what your teacher is like. Ask people at your school. Really. Best way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Dakkers Dakkers
I personally found data to be easy as soon as you start learning about statistics and the bell curve/continuous normal distribution. all of the stuff before is a bit challenging (well it was for me).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23

@sillyrabbit wrote
Listen dude I think that you should just trust your own skills and STOP screwINGG ASKING US ABOUT EVERY screwINGG COURSE YOUR GONNA TAKE GODDAMM..............that being said Data is the easiest math out of the three maths in grade 12.....you should do your homework cuz that will give you a guaranteed high mark......I got and 80 in the course without doing much studying....

I do, but I keep second guessing myself, and all my grade 12 friends keep telling me differing views of each course, and I don't know what to do. I think I might just take it in summer school...thanks.

@waazup wrote
^ Sorry but I highly disagree with the guy above me.

I am taking Data right now, take some advice from me.

Here are some things you NEED to know:

DATA IS HARD.
You get it or don't.
It all depends on your teacher, how she teaches/makes the tests.

I find it a lot harder than Gr.11 Functions (which I was good at)..
It requires you to think in many ways, and I have a test coming up and this permutations unit is sooooooooooo confusing!!

You just need brainpower to get by in this course and apply what you know, how you know it.

If you got lower than an 80 in Gr.11 functions, TAKE IT. Some people that aren't good at gr.11 functions could find this course useful.

However, if you got over an 80, don't sacrifice Adv. functions/calculus for it. Take all 3 if you have to, or don't take data.

I plan on taking all 3, Data this year and the other 2 next year.

Good luck!

Exactly, that's what everyone tells me. And people tell me the workload isn't worth taking it if you don't need it. I have an 85 so far in Functions, but do you think taking data in summer school is a good idea? I'll take 2 in the school year and DAta in summer? Thanks!

@awaysheflew wrote
I agree that you will either find Data very easy or very hard. You will quickly find out which category you're in. If you find it difficult, I suggest doing all the homework and asking your teacher for help if you need it.

I personally don't know of any programs that require Data, but plenty of social science (psychology, sociology, etc.) programs RECOMMEND it. If you're going into one of those programs, then I strongly suggest you take it since you'll have to take research methods/statistics in university.

Yes, there is a culminating activity that is usually worth 15% of your final mark. No, I do not recommend taking it in summer school, especially if you're going into a university social science program.

Yeah, that's why I want to take it just for the knowledge. I don't really need it, which is why I want to take it in summer school. Also, I don't want to do the culminating, another reason why summer school appeals to me :P

@AsianFail93 wrote

@sillyrabbit wrote

high marks =/= 80. I got a 90 without doing much studying so yeah(and 90 aint super high).

Anyways I found adv. to be easier but data for me was pretty simple(then again good teacher). I found data to be quite logic based so it really depends on how you think. Personally, if you get the whole culminating research project in summer school, it seems a bit crammed (although you can work day in-day out on the project). At our school, we had one month to work on the project so that amounts to the same class time as about a week in summer school I believe(but the project should be spread over a longer period of time).

lol, yeah anything below 90 is not good enough. I'm taking Functions and Calc for sure because I'll need it, but Data is just for the knowledge. And I don't want to do the 20 pg culminating which is why summer school appeals to me :P

@r2k1 wrote
I agree data can be hard or easy depending on what kind of a learner you are. It's definetly different from functions and calc but it does require a lot of work and understanding to do well in the course. I think if you can fit it into your schedule you should take it but then again there are easier bird courses out there you could take to bolster your average. Good luck :)

Yeah, I thought that French and Economics would be better bird courses and Data for the summer b/c of the workload.

@g93 wrote
Really depends what your teacher is like. Ask people at your school. Really. Best way.

Yeah, I did. And they all tell me their opinions which differ greatly.

@Dakkers wrote
I personally found data to be easy as soon as you start learning about statistics and the bell curve/continuous normal distribution. all of the stuff before is a bit challenging (well it was for me).

Yeah, it seems challenging. I think summer school should be better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew

@brady23 wrote

Yeah, that's why I want to take it just for the knowledge. I don't really need it, which is why I want to take it in summer school. Also, I don't want to do the culminating, another reason why summer school appeals to me :P

You'll still have to do the culminating activity if you take Data in summer school, and you won't get as much time to do it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of idylle10 idylle10
DATA MANAGEMENT IS SO WASTE. I HATE THIS STUPID COURSE, IT RUINED MY LIFE. MESSED UP MY TOP 6 AVERAGE FML!!!!

I got a 85ish on the last test, which dropped my data mark to 91 and my top 6 average down .5%... I still have to use the stupid course as my top 6.
I wanna piss on the guy who made data management into a subject.

I agree with whomever said that it's a you get it or you don't kind of thing. Obviously I don't get it but I'll let you know if it's.. learnable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0