yconic - Grade 12 Data vs Calculus for business
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 12 Data vs Calculus for business

A photo of BizNas BizNas
I'm going to grade 12 and I just want to know which math course out of Data and Calculus I should take. I already am certain I'm taking AF and I plan to go into a Business related program in University.

I really need to know which one will benefit me more because there are a few Universities that I am interested in that only require AF and one other math + English to be accepted.

I know which one is harder is mostly based off a persons personal experience and work ethic but I don't want to screw up my average because I attempted one that I shouldn't have. I know I'm not making much sense but please help if you can.

Also, what are you personal thoughts on Economics, Int Bus and Investment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
If you aren't sure, you should consider taking both. I found Data a bit easier, but Calculus can be a bit more practical. Plus, if one of your math marks is problematic then you can drop out of the course, too. Also, unless you are only taking six grade 12 courses, the lower mark will not screw up your average. Taking both is safest.

By the way, what is Investment?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I would take calc. My sister is going into business and aiming for Schulich, they require adv functions and one other math but have a preference for calc over data. I took econ in hs and it was pretty easy, mostly common sense. Lots of graph reading and interpretation though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela
You won't get into any good business schools unless you take calculus as it is normally a pre-requisite. In addition, pretty much all business programs also require you to take 2(?) years of calculus in university anyways. You might as well suck it up and take calculus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BizNas BizNas
But from what I heard business calculus is a severely dubbed down version from normal calc in Uni, or was I misinformed. Btw thanks guys.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Calculus is much more useful for economics and everyday business problems.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Take both, it is the best thing you can do. If you have to choose one take calculus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@g93 wrote
Take both, it is the best thing you can do. If you have to choose one take calculus.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0