yconic - Grade 12 English in summer school?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 12 English in summer school?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey all,

Do you guys think it is a good idea to take grade 12 english in the summer following the completion of grade 11? I need at least an 88, and I've heard from some people that students get low 90's in summer school english much easier than normal english. Can anyone clarify if this is actually true? Than I will have the option of retaking english in grade 12 if I'm not satisfied with my mark.

Thanks in advance,

VladimirB
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of fruitpunch9 fruitpunch9

@VladimirB wrote
Hey all,

Do you guys think it is a good idea to take grade 12 english in the summer following the completion of grade 11? I need at least an 88, and I've heard from some people that students get low 90's in summer school english much easier than normal english. Can anyone clarify if this is actually true? Than I will have the option of retaking english in grade 12 if I'm not satisfied with my mark.

Thanks in advance,

VladimirB

someone at my school ended up getting a 99 and he took it in summer school. It's kind of a good way of cheating. Summer school is WAY easier but you don't learn as much. It's still up to you though. That dude would have gotten a low 90 if he hadn't take it in summer school. but that's still very high for tough subjects like this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah, I agree, a low 90 in English is a very good mark. My problem with english is that it is very very subjective with the teacher that you have :/ I'm also a more left brained math/tech/finance guy
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of coldplay coldplay
I took grade 12 english this summer and had to drop it. I was getting a mid 80 as my midterm mark, and I knew it wouldn't quickly shoot to a mid or even low 90 (which was my goal). It really all depends on your teacher, some people are lucky and get easy teachers, others get hard teachers (like I did). So don't go in thinking you're going to do amazing just because others you know have done so. It really all depends on the teacher alone. Definitely try it, and then wait till your midterm mark to see if you want to continue with the course or drop it. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CarrieAngreeDavis CarrieAngreeDavis
oh, I'm only dreaming' about good marks in English. I'm really good in art, but not in languages, so when I need some help I order paper works on buyessay.org
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

English in summer school is not always easy. I know about five friends who took it this summer and two of them dropped it because of their teacher who was a hard-marker. However, of those who didn't drop it, they ended up with mid-80s. My point is that the easiness of the subject depends on the teacher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KatrinaRose KatrinaRose
Depending on what style of summer school and if you have knowledge about the subject going in to the class will change how well you do. I did chem 30 in an intensive 20 day program were we did a unit every week had at least two test a week and 3 to 5 units/topics in a day. I've done chem 30 before so I had an understanding of it so I was good there, I started two days later though so I had to play catch up the first week.

You also have to think that since there is less time everything has more weight on your mark. In my course the first unit test was 20 percent of my total class mark, that is a lot if you do well or if you do poor on it. If you believe that you will work hard at everything the teacher gives you, put aside a social life and maybe work for a while to just work on doing well in class. Then I'd say go for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of boburnham boburnham
Summer school marks aren't looked at by Universities or College, so if you want your English to be one of your courses looked at, do it in regular terms.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SantaS SantaS

@boburnham wrote
Summer school marks aren't looked at by Universities or College, so if you want your English to be one of your courses looked at, do it in regular terms.

The FXXK?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apollo2010 apollo2010
They do look at it to make sure you've earned the ENG4U credit, which you have if you passed.
I did it, well worth it. If you're going into English in University though, I suggest you not do it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@boburnham wrote

Almost all universities in Canada will look at summer school marks the same way that they would look at courses taken during the regular school year.

I don't really know why people assume that summer school is so easy. My English teacher is one of the hardest markers I've ever had and she's teaching summer school this year. I seriously pity anyone who went into her class expecting it to be a bird course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of saber33 saber33

@cherrypie725 wrote
I don't really know why people assume that summer school is so easy.

Because in their experience, it has been easy?

All of this thread is all anecdotal. People who have had easy teachers will say to take it during summer school, those with harder teachers will decry their assumptions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hullabee25 hullabee25
I took it and it was totally worth it! i ended up with a 92%, and less stress during my grade 12 year worrying about writting essays. I strongly recomend that you at least try it :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
Yes - I believe it would be a good idea to take it in the summer. Think about it this way: if you go in and realize you are not doing as well as you hoped, you can drop and it only took a week of your life. It will not show up on your transcript. Then you have a second chance in regular school with a different teacher.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@saber33 wrote

@cherrypie725 wrote
I don't really know why people assume that summer school is so easy.

Because in their experience, it has been easy?

All of this thread is all anecdotal. People who have had easy teachers will say to take it during summer school, those with harder teachers will decry their assumptions.

"assume" being the key word. I was referring to people who haven't ever taken summer school. That being said, I agree. Just because someone else had a positive experience with summer school that doesn't mean the same will be true for you.

If you're really concerned about your English mark I would take summer school. Worst case scenario: you do poorly. Summer schools usually give you until about a week or two before the exam to decide if you want to drop. If you leave before that date, the mark won't go on your transcript. Of course, it would kind of suck to spend half a month in school only to realize that you were wasting your time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
My English marks from grade 9 to 11 were 58, 50, 64 respectively.
I finished grade 12 English in summer school with an 84.

That being said, just because I got lucky and had an easy marking teacher, doesn't mean you will too. English is so subjective that it completely depends on the type of teacher you get.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan

@boburnham wrote

Please don't post ever again
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of moneylover moneylover

@coldplay wrote
I took grade 12 english this summer and had to drop it. I was getting a mid 80 as my midterm mark, and I knew it wouldn't quickly shoot to a mid or even low 90 (which was my goal). It really all depends on your teacher, some people are lucky and get easy teachers, others get hard teachers (like I did). So don't go in thinking you're going to do amazing just because others you know have done so. It really all depends on the teacher alone. Definitely try it, and then wait till your midterm mark to see if you want to continue with the course or drop it. Good luck!

i am 100% agree with you! i took english 12 at summer school this year and did not end as well as i expected because the teacher was actually pretty tough on us. but i have another friend who took the same course in another school and she got an A! which is so much better than she usually was because the teacher she had was SO NICE(they can redo the essays! how nice is that!). So to get a good mark it is totally depends on your teacher...good luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heysiobhan heysiobhan
I took grade 12 english this summer and had to drop it! In my in-class grade 11 english I had a 95% while in the online class I was putting in the same effort and getting low 70%s. However, I have a friend who was in a different online english class and she did great! The teacher marked fairly, and she deserved her mark. So, it may really depend. You could try it, and leave if you're unhappy?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the replies guys. I was also thinking of taking it in summer so I could have much less stress in grade 12 since I need high marks for those top business schools, haha. IMO english is the most stressful course.. :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hannena hannena
I'm a little late but I also took grade 12 English in summer school, I found it tough. I know at my school no one ever gets over a 95 in English and even their overall average, which is unfortunate but I do suggest summer school.

I ended with an 88%, which is okay I guess but summer school can be very unfair. Like others mentioned, you can have a tough teacher or a very easy teacher. Yet either way the course is crammed and you do nearly as much as the students do during the year but in 3 weeks. For us, the only thing we didn't do that a normal year course would is the cumulative project, which is apparently very easy in grade 12 (for my school at least).

I was unlikely with having a tough teacher compared to other summer school classes but I believe it was still worth it because it was a huge load of work that I don't have to do during the year anymore! Focus on more important things :)

Also, schools will know that you've taken the course in the summer because the course code on your transcript will end in 's' eg: ENG4Us but they portray no bias towards normal school over summer school. I believe however some programs at Waterloo do take notice of a summer school course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of timetohavefun timetohavefun
I don't know about summer school, but definitely do NOT do ILC english.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi.

I took grade 12 English in summer school and was pleased with the experience. It wasn't easier than day school per se, as the course average ended up in the high 50s. However the amount of total work you have to do is considerably less than day school because the entire curriculum is condensed into little more than three weeks of class. Overall I would only really recommend taking ENG4U in summer school if your goal is to have 2 spares or something like that. Day school is better preparation for college.
Was this helpful? Yes 0