yconic - Grade 12 History Courses info.please!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 12 History Courses info.please!

A photo of WizardViz WizardViz
Hey! I have to pick a Gr.12 U course as an elective for next year. I never took any history course(s) ever since my Grade 10 Canadian History. Because I hate writing essays and essays were not my thing. So that's the reason why I haven't considered to take any of the History courses in general. But right now, my counselor have recommended me to take a history course to boost my average next year. Taking his opinion into consideration, I came cross many history courses and here are my options. I have had least amount of knowledge on these courses. So if someone who took the respective history course could explain me the pros and cons of that subject in terms of essays, work load, marks, etc I'd appreciate that so much. Also, your suggestions and info. can guide me to choose a course. Thank you so much!

1. CGU4UI- World Geography: Human Patterns and Interactions
2. CHY4UI- The West and the World
3. CHI4UI- Canada: History, Identity and Culture.

What if you take one of the above mentioned courses on online. Would there be any effect or change in taking it from day school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of iCobra iCobra
I took CHY4U. Pretty relaxed course, we had 2 essays and 3 tests the entire year (non semestered) It was relatively easy but our teacher was so chill and didn't care when we did stuff. Also its all fact based so its easy to get high 90s
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WizardViz WizardViz

@iCobra wrote
I took CHY4U. Pretty relaxed course, we had 2 essays and 3 tests the entire year (non semestered) It was relatively easy but our teacher was so chill and didn't care when we did stuff. Also its all fact based so its easy to get high 90s

Thanks a lot iCobra! I doubt if I'm gonna take history or not. My weakness lies in essays and usually never aced or got a perfect mark on essays. So in this case taking a history course would reduce my oppurtunity to get a great mark. So I'm considering to take something else, like some easy science courses besides chem and bio :albino:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
If you have gotten poor results with essays in the past – history may not be for you. If the teacher means business, by actually wanting to prepare students for university, the class could prove challenging. Personally, I think you learn how to write an essay in history class more so than English class. It is entirely possible for you to be expected to write an essay for each unit test as well as other evaluations.

I took LVV4U - Classical histery class - it was not an easy class. We had 8 units and the expectations were very high. Our tests were composed of an essay component and 5 short answers. Those short answers were more like long answers if you wanted full marks. The class average on the first test was about 55%. On top of that we needed to read "The Odyssy" and do a 3000 word research paper on it.

That said, CHI4U is the easiest course hands down. It should have about 5 units – very slow and relaxed. It depends on the teacher I think. But generally speaking that particular course is easy. But a lot of that depends on you.

Also the material should be familiar to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iCobra iCobra
Im relatively bad at essays too, but keep in mind that these aren't the same types as essays that you would have in English. They are more research based so they are easier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I suggest you ask friends who are in grade 12 about the "easy" courses at your school. This is because asking on a forum like this will not guarantee you any definite results, as the courses vary with teachers. A few posts before me, the guy said he took LVV4U(Classic Civilizations) and the class average for the first unit test was a 55. I took that course too because it is famed at my school as a bird course, and it was exactly that. On our first unit test, I got perfect. In fact, the course median for this semestre's midterms is 88. So it really depends on the teachers, thus asking it here wouldn't really yield any great results.
Was this helpful? Yes 0