yconic - Grade 12 Schedule Complications
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 12 Schedule Complications

A photo of Mursal123 Mursal123
Alright so I am in grade twelve and its my last year. Heres my schedule:

Semester One:
Spare
Communications Technology
Gym
Data Management

Semester Two:
English
Extended French
Chemistry
Biology

My second semester is too much and my first semester is too easy. Some things i'd like to change are dropping gym and taking English in that period, first semester instead and taking chemistry in nightschool. this would mean that in semester two i would only have spare, french, and biology.

My big issue is that I need to take chemistry in semester one, where my semester isnt too hectic and in night school. I did terrible in chemistry grade 11, i got a 60. So I want to take it in night school so it would be easier. My guidance counselors are telling me that I cant take chemistry in night school because I didnt fail it yet and I should attempt it. I dont want to risk anything, I want to take it in night school semester one and get it over with.

Also I plan to apply for Registered Nurse at Ryerson and Kineseology at York just in case.

So, do you think my courses are good for getting into Nursing at Ryerson?
Can i take night school even if I didnt fail a course, if not then what should i do?
And I think my average would be between 75-80%, is that good enough to get into nursing at Ryerson?

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR READING THIS LONG POST! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@Mursal123 wrote

Semester One:
Spare
Gym
Data Management

Semester Two:
English
Extended French
Chemistry
Biology

My second semester is too much and my first semester is too easy. Some things i'd like to change are dropping gym and taking English in that period, first semester instead and taking chemistry in nightschool. this would mean that in semester two i would only have spare, french, and biology.

My big issue is that I need to take chemistry in semester one, where my semester isnt too hectic and in night school. I did terrible in chemistry grade 11, i got a 60. So I want to take it in night school so it would be easier. My guidance counselors are telling me that I cant take chemistry in night school because I didnt fail it yet and I should attempt it. I dont want to risk anything, I want to take it in night school semester one and get it over with.

Also I plan to apply for Registered Nurse at Ryerson and Kineseology at York just in case.

Can i take night school even if I didnt fail a course, if not then what should i do?
And I think my average would be between 75-80%, is that good enough to get into nursing at Ryerson?

Interesting, I haven't heard rules like that for night school anywhere. I've certainly had friends who took night school courses but only because they weren't offered in day school. I don't know much about night school rules, so if you can't take night school without failing, put chemistry first semester in your day school in place of gym, so that if you do screw up, the night school option avails. At least then you'd have a spare on both semesters. And an average between 75-80% is just about the cutoffs there I think, so you should try to get higher than that if you wish to be safe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mursal123 Mursal123
Thanks for the response, but chemistry is only offered period one, semester one BUT that class is completely full, theres not even enough desks for the students. So i have no way in getting into that class.
Also during period three where I have gym, I know there is an English class available. Not too sure how full that class is but its worth a try. Really the only option for having chemistry in semester one is taking night school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23

@Mursal123 wrote

Semester One:
Spare
Gym
Data Management

Semester Two:
English
Extended French
Chemistry
Biology

Yeah, your second semester is tough. At my school most of the english classes are full, but if you can move english to first semester, you should definitely do it, it will make your life a lot easier. You can't fit Chemistry into your schedule semester one? Then maybe drop gym, and instead take chemistry in night school, and keep english in second semester. 1st sem - chemistry, comm tech, data, spare
2nd sem - bio, french, english, spare

This schedule is more balanced. At my school, the guidance department is a total fail, they can't even schedule appointments for people, hope your's is not the same way -_-

And your right, taking chem in night school would be easier, but it is still a lot of work, but tell your guidance consuellor something like I want to know my chemistry mark before I apply to these science programs because if I know chemistry isn't going well, I can apply to something else other than science. If you had it in sem 2, then it may be too late to apply to a different program if you don't get the marks you want. If you have a good excuse, they will let you take it in night school.

Biology and Chemistry are good courses. I think your courses are good, I guess advanced functions and calculus and physics are not prerequisites, but you will need to know this stuff if you're going into kineseology or nursing. To be honest, I would drop gym, and take Advanced Functions/Physics (if you can't take Chem (night school), because even if do bad in physics/functions, it won't affect your top 6 average because you have 6 other courses, it can only help you.

And it may not be an option to you, but if your worried about advanced functions, calculus, and physics, you can always retake them, york & ryerson always take the higher of the two, and taking it a second time is always easier.

And that average should be good, but aim for 80%+ to be safe. Also, have back up programs just in case. Best of luck, and feel free to ask me any questions or for advice. :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0