yconic - Grade 12
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 12

A photo of brady23 brady23
Hey guys, if you have taken ANY of these 12 courses can you just give me your thoughts on them (difficulty, level of interest, etc). I know it's different for everyone and you haven't taken all 12 courses, but I need all sorts of opinions and your experiences can help me a great deal to make my course selection easier. :)

For sure I'm taking:

SBI4U - Biology
SCH4U - Chemistry
SPH4U - Physics
MHF4U - Advanced Functions
MCV4U - Calculus
ICS4U - Computer Science

Options:

CIA4U - Economics
BAT4M - Accounting
FSF4U - French
MDM4U - Data
IDC4U1 - Financial Securities
IDC4U2 - Robotics

In your opinion, which 2 of the 6 above do you like the best and why? I was thinking of Economics and French? Do you think these courses are good?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
On your first list, I've taken everything except computer science since we don't offer that in BC.
Since they're all at the grade 12 level, they all require a lot of time and work.
My suggestion to you is to plan out your schedule.
If you're in grade 11 now, try taking one of the easier courses, like Bio.. in summer school, or even in your grade 11 year.
I did both Bio and Math (Adv. Func) in grade 11, and Phys in summer school, so I really only have Chem this year, so it made my load a LOT easier to deal with.
If you even take 4/6 in one semester, it's going to be a LOT of work.

As for your options, we don't have any of those in BC except Accounting and French.
I'm also taking both of them.
If you have a pretty strong base/foundation in French, I would definitely recommend it. There isn't a lot of new material, it's basically grade 11 French with a bit more detail. Pretty easy course to get an A in.. I barely do any work and am still pulling off a 95+.
Accounting is also a pretty easy one. I don't know how you guys do it on the east coast, but here, we do everything on the computer. Makes life so much easier. It's not really all that difficult. Once you learn the concept and steps once, you do the same thing the whole year.. Posting, Ledgers, Closing, Trial Balance, Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Adjustments, Net Income... overrrr and overrrr....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tjozef tjozef
I can only speak to French, but I would recommend taking the course only if in previous classes (grades 10/11) you have scored from the high eighties and upwards, because if not, you probably won't get a lot out of it (if you do a lot of grammar it's fairly dry, if you don't do it you are not really learning).

French is only really engaging if you want to continue with it in post-secondary, or are looking for an easy mark, in my opinion.

Financial securities sounds cool!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
Brady - tell us what you plan to do in University - that will guide your Grade 12 courses. Also don't forget that grade 12 English is mandatory .....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm assuming he's probably looking to go into Sciences..
since the courses he's taking for sure are mostly all science related.. Chem, Phys, Bio...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cfaux cfaux

@cyynthiia wrote
I'm assuming he's probably looking to go into Sciences..
since the courses he's taking for sure are mostly all science related.. Chem, Phys, Bio...

I agree with cyynthiia. This is a very generic science bound course load.
In my opinion, to show well roundedness I would take French. Also, in my personal opinion, and this is completely subjective, I think Economics is a very eye opening course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

OMG all your answers are amazing! I think I'm leaning towards Economics and French as my final two courses.

I was thinking my schedule could look something like this for balance
1st sem: Bio, Phys, Advanced Functions, Economics 2nd Sem: Chemistry, calculus, Computer Science, French

And yes, I want to go into biomedical engineering because it combines all the sciences and math into one. And I'm taking English in summer school.

Any other comments would be greatly appreciated and thanks for your replies guys :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I'm so jealous of Ontario kids. Economics, computer science, philosophy, and now ROBOTICS? The coolest course we have in BC is Comparative Civilizations.

But I think a thread like this, if made more general (i.e. all grade 12 courses) could be very useful and eliminate a lot of future threads on the topic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@brady23 wrote
Hey guys, if you have taken ANY of these 12 courses can you just give me your thoughts on them (difficulty, level of interest, etc). I know it's different for everyone and you haven't taken all 12 courses, but I need all sorts of opinions and your experiences can help me a great deal to make my course selection easier. :)

For sure I'm taking:

SBI4U - Biology
SCH4U - Chemistry
SPH4U - Physics
MCV4U - Calculus
ICS4U - Computer Science

Options:

CIA4U - Economics
BAT4M - Accounting
FSF4U - French
MDM4U - Data
IDC4U2 - Robotics

In your opinion, which 2 of the 6 above do you like the best and why? I was thinking of Economics and French? Do you think these courses are good?

I know that Economics is a lot of work and it's hard to get good marks in.
Accounting is also a bit tedious, but if you want to go to accounting, you should definitely take it.
French will be easy if you were a good French student in the past years.
Data is just a pain in the butt if you don't like data and stats. However, your future program might require it so look into that. If you don't need it, I highly advise you NOT to take it.
Financial securities is useful because it teaches you how to invest in stocks and what not but there are some formulas you need to memorize in terms of business and some math involved. Finally, robotics, our school unfortunately does not offer it, but it sounds awesome. Good luck!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@heesoup wrote

@brady23 wrote

For sure I'm taking:

SBI4U - Biology
SCH4U - Chemistry
SPH4U - Physics
MCV4U - Calculus
ICS4U - Computer Science

Options:

CIA4U - Economics
BAT4M - Accounting
FSF4U - French
MDM4U - Data
IDC4U2 - Robotics

French will be easy if you were a good French student in the past years.
Data is just a pain in the butt if you don't like data and stats. However, your future program might require it so look into that. If you don't need it, I highly advise you NOT to take it.
Financial securities is useful because it teaches you how to invest in stocks and what not but there are some formulas you need to memorize in terms of business and some math involved. Finally, robotics, our school unfortunately does not offer it, but it sounds awesome. Good luck!

I might need Data, but I still don't want to take it because I'll probably be getting an additional hour of hw every night. Accounting gave me too much hw. I know Economics might be a lot of work, but I think it may be a good course to take. Even though I am not going into business, I love business courses! I think Economics may be a bit easier than Financial Securities. Thanks for your response!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you think Economics and French are good picks as electives?
Any comments or suggestions on these courses (difficulty, is it balanced, tips, etc.)

Semester 1

CIA4U - Economics
SBI4U - Biology
SPH4U - Physics

Semester 2

MCV4U - Calculus
ICS4U - Computer Science
SCH4U - Chemistry
FSF4U - French
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
I don't even get to take Comparative Civ. There's only one block of it at my school, and it's at the exact same time as the only Chemistry block.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

okay, now i am having second thoughts :(

Would it be a waste taking French 11 if I don't take French 12? Because I may take Robotics instead of French 12, but I am not sure yet. The only real reason I wanted to take French 12 was because of a certificate, but I don't even know if I will get it by doing core french. But if I do , then taking French after gr9 was such a waste! :(

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@brady23 wrote
okay, now i am having second thoughts :(

Would it be a waste taking French 11 if I don't take French 12? Because I may take Robotics instead of French 12, but I am not sure yet. The only real reason I wanted to take French 12 was because of a certificate, but I don't even know if I will get it by doing core french. But if I do , then taking French after gr9 was such a waste! :(

Honestly, it's never a waste to take a second language. It might be a waste academically if you don't continue with it.. But just knowing a second language, even a little bit of it.. can never be a bad thing. If you're a strong French student now, I highly recommend taking it. I wasn't planning on taking French 12 either after French 11 because I only needed a language 11 to get into university here in BC, but I am SO glad I took it. I improved quite a bit of my french skills this year, especially written. It's not a very hard course to get a high mark in either. I never thought that I'd be using it for my top 6, but needless to say, I am. I don't really spend all that much time on it (maybe ~15 mins a week?) and I'm getting around 95-96.

@VegaKrazmych wrote
I don't even get to take Comparative Civ. There's only one block of it at my school, and it's at the exact same time as the only Chemistry block.

Hehehe, I took that last year. We only had one block of it too.
Got 98 at the end of the year.. suchhhh an easy course. Good average booster if you applied for McGill.
That's also a good course to take if they offer it on the East coast. It's basically a repeat of Socials 8 and 9ishh.. about Ancient Greece, Egypt, India, etc..
Veryyyyy easy course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0