yconic - Grade 12
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 12

A photo of brady23 brady23
Hey guys,

What is the best courses you can pick for grade 12? My guidance consuellor told me that taking the 3 sciences (Bio, Phys, Chem) and 2 maths (Advanced Functions, Calculus) would basically satisfy the prerequisites for every program (other than the Arts, Music, Drama, Dance).

Is this true?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Yep
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heylooklisten heylooklisten
Honestly, it depends on where you want to go and what program you want to do. It wouldn't make sense taking the three sciences if you want to go into business, so don't burden yourself!

The three sciences and two maths satisfy programs like Life Sciences, Engineering, and Physical Sciences.
The two maths only satisfy Economics, Accounting, Business, Management, and Math-related programs.

So yeah, if you take the three sciences and two maths, you can apply to anything. Some schools don't even need all three sciences for Life Sciences. However, unless you want to pursue the Sciences, don't burden yourself with all five of those courses.

A strong Top 6 average is important, so taking a few lightweight classes will help you in the long run, trust me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
That's basically been my whole year: 3 sciences, 2 maths, english and religion. It pretty much covers the prereq's for a plethora of programs, including engineering, science, biomed/premed, and most business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Yeah, like other people said, don't take difficult courses that aren't required for your desired field of interest. I personally knew that I would never apply to biology/life sciences so I opted to take two sciences and two maths rather than three sciences.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist
Best courses to take for what?

That said, arguably the most respectable top six is the 3 sci, 2 math, and English, unless you have a specific arts program in mind. Bio is a good one to drop if you're not going into bio, since it's the only one not required by any other field afaik.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bluesharpies Bluesharpies
They're right - but that doesn't mean you leave it all to what your counselor said.

I'm going to guess you're in grade 11, in which case, if you have an idea already, start checking out the prerequisites for programs you potentially want to get into yourself, now. Unless you have a particular affinity for them, having Bio, Chem, Physics, Adv. Functions and Calc ends up giving you quite the workload - especially given that you're likely to end up in the same boat I was in where you land yourself having three sciences and one math in a semester (ended up moving physics to this semester, thank God. :\)

Grade 12 is your final year - work hard, of course, but enjoy it and don't give yourself more work than you have to / can handle. Bio is probably the easiest to drop, depending on the science you want to go into. Physics and calculus tend to not be required for many sciences, but they ARE recommended.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711
Everything said above is true, however if you think you may want to go into science or engineering and don't know for sure which area yet, it may be best to sign up for all the sciences and maths just in case.

A lot of people at my school signed up for 3 sciences, advanced functions, english, calc, and two bird courses,then dropped one of those to take a spare. They had a much easier time than the people who signed up for five bird courses and later realized they needed a science.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you sign up for all the possible prerequisites you can always change your mind and drop some of them, but if you take only some of them it may be harder to sign up for them later.

All that being said, if you know you're not going to need all of those classes (ie. you're going into arts) don't bother with them unless you will either do well in them or will enjoy them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0