yconic - Grade 13? Should I do it? Help
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grade 13? Should I do it? Help

A photo of sascer520 sascer520
Health Sector Degrees take completely different courses compared to Engineering, and what field of Health would you be interested in? It's such a broad field, don't think it's just limited to Doctor or Nurse like 85% of the students I know :P

Ask me for advice if you need it!

By the way, look into taking Grade 11 Biology through Online Schooling if you are having major doubts about engineering. Engineering is a solid degree because it has good job prospects but personally I'm not interested in it, I took a Grade 11 Computer Engineering Technology U/M class and though I got a 76% I was bored out of my mind.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Health Sector Degrees take completely different courses compared to Engineering, and what field of Health would you be interested in? It's such a broad field, don't think it's just limited to Doctor or Nurse like 85% of the students I know :P

Ask me for advice if you need it!

By the way, look into taking Grade 11 Biology through Online Schooling if you are having major doubts about engineering. Engineering is a solid degree because it has good job prospects but personally I'm not interested in it, I took a Grade 11 Computer Engineering Technology U/M class and though I got a 76% I was bored out of my mind.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I think your time could be much better spent taking a year off and trying to get into some jobs that will give you a taste of the future so that you can make an educated decision about what you're interested in.

I've known several engineers who have switched from engineering to sciences, it's a fairly simple process, but any program transfer will ultimately delay your degree by a term or year
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26

@sascer520 wrote
I am feeling overwhelmed. I thought i wanted to do engineering(I still want to do it), but i started getting worried that I might fail and drop out, or that I graduate , and not find employment, or that I find employment and not like the responsibilities the job entails. I started out thinking civil then changed my mind to mechanical then to electrical then to computer. I don't know what to do. I can't focus on my studies. I think about this during tests. My options are fairly limited. I can't go into the health sector because i haven't taken grade 11 or 12 bio, i haven't taken any computer science courses(even though i love math and computers), and no accounting/business courses.

I have only applied to engineering programs with the exception of a backup commerce program. The problem i see is that i can go to engineering at Waterloo for a year, but what if I don't like it or if i fail, and then i realize that i want to work in the health sector field. What then? How do i go into that? I don't have any biology knowledge. I screwed myself over in high school by taking gym in grade 11. THIS IS A MESSAGE TO ANYONE OUT THERE IN GRADE 9, 10 or 11 DO NOT TAKE GYM. You have enough time for physical activity outside of school. GYM is not even an M course or U, its an open course and frankly a waste of time. Now i am worrying because i didn't take biology and i have limited my courses to an engineering program, and accounting, business, but NO BIOLOGY or Comp sci background. I am worried about the future in jobs in engineering. I have no idea if i even like that type of lifestyle; always designing, i don't know. Please help me.
I am so stressed out. Should I stay back a year, and take these courses? What if i do and i choose to go into engineering? Can i switch from engineering to a health sector degree program?

As someone who did a victory lap year, it sounds like you could use one. I know lots of people consider the extra year a waste of time or only for idiots etc, but it really depends on how you use it.

Obviously I could be wrong but it doesn't sound like you're prepared to jump into uni. An extra year (having taken a wider breadth of courses) will allow you to better figure out what your interests are.

Lastly, don't stress about not knowing exactly what you want to do. I've completed two years of my undergrad and I still can't tell you what I want to do as a career. MANY students change majors during their undergrad, and people change careers several times throughout their lives. Life isn't meant to be planned according to what courses you have or haven't taken in grade 12, so there's no reason for you to feel like your options are limited. You can always take introductory courses in university if you're missing a prerequisite.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Having forayed somewhat into the real world, I can tell you that school =/= real world, and taking more classes in school probably won't help you figure out what sort of career you want. "I like biology" doesn't mean anything in terms of actually finding a career. Internships and finding mentors will.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel
What legal liability are you referring to? My boyfriend is a civil engineer, and yes there is responsibility, of course, but all engineers have that responsibility. It's not just a civil thing. You are a professional and therefore are liable for the work you do. I would also argue that it's not difficult to get a job as a civil engineer, you shouldn't base your whole opinion on one person being unable to find a job. No field will guarantee 100% employment.

You really just need to relax. I'm 22, have my undergrad degree, am doing grad school and still don't really know where I'm going to end up. I don't really lose any sleep over it. It will all work out.

Every single person that I am friends with who graduated in the last 2 years from engineering has an engineering job. That can tell you a thing or two. Where do they work? Everywhere. For private companies, for the city, in research, abroad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
So many upper-year university students and even grad students have little idea what they'll do as a career. It's tough to tell when you don't have any related work experience. It is well worth your while to try to shadow or work with an engineer, accountant, etc... Like ktel said, enjoying learning about some subject and being a practitioner of it are two very different things. For example, when I first went into biology I planned on becoming a researcher (biologist); I enjoyed studying biology, so it made sense that I'd enjoy being a biologist, right? Wrong. I liked learning how the human body worked. That doesn't mean that I like injecting drugs into rats and then taking samples of their blood and running them through Northern blots. Labs bore me, so being a biologist is not what is right for me, even though I'm interested in biology. That's why it's important that you find out what you like doing, not simply what you like learning.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@sascer520 wrote
I am feeling overwhelmed. I thought i wanted to do engineering(I still want to do it), but i started getting worried that I might fail and drop out, or that I graduate , and not find employment, or that I find employment and not like the responsibilities the job entails. I started out thinking civil then changed my mind to mechanical then to electrical then to computer. I don't know what to do. I can't focus on my studies. I think about this during tests. My options are fairly limited. I can't go into the health sector because i haven't taken grade 11 or 12 bio, i haven't taken any computer science courses(even though i love math and computers), and no accounting/business courses.

I have only applied to engineering programs with the exception of a backup commerce program. The problem i see is that i can go to engineering at Waterloo for a year, but what if I don't like it or if i fail, and then i realize that i want to work in the health sector field. What then? How do i go into that? I don't have any biology knowledge. I screwed myself over in high school by taking gym in grade 11. THIS IS A MESSAGE TO ANYONE OUT THERE IN GRADE 9, 10 or 11 DO NOT TAKE GYM. You have enough time for physical activity outside of school. GYM is not even an M course or U, its an open course and frankly a waste of time. Now i am worrying because i didn't take biology and i have limited my courses to an engineering program, and accounting, business, but NO BIOLOGY or Comp sci background. I am worried about the future in jobs in engineering. I have no idea if i even like that type of lifestyle; always designing, i don't know. Please help me.
I am so stressed out. Should I stay back a year, and take these courses? What if i do and i choose to go into engineering? Can i switch from engineering to a health sector degree program?

Obviously you didn't choose to take bio because you thought you didn't need it. There is no reason to blame ur choice in taking gym. You can even say taking gym took off load that you would've gotten from taking bio.

Also everyone feels worried about their choice in university. It is a big choice. Try remembering why you chose engineering in the first place. If you still hold true to that desire continue through with it...don't worry about dropout rates and unemployment...try your best and enjoy what you do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0