yconic - Grades Big 4 look at
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grades Big 4 look at

A photo of timduncan01 timduncan01
Hi,

I was just curious about the high emphasis placed on soft skills. Don't these firms actually look at grades and if so what average range do they prefer? The reason is that I have a high average right now and few extracurriculars. I've heard of students having 90's and not getting jobs.

Thank you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@timduncan01 wrote
Hi,

I was just curious about the high emphasis placed on soft skills. Don't these firms actually look at grades and if so what average range do they prefer? The reason is that I have a high average right now and few extracurriculars. I've heard of students having 90's and not getting jobs.

Thank you.

There are many factors involved when it comes to getting hired. Grades are important, but they are not the only thing these firms look at. From meeting with people who work there and partners, I realized that networking is the most important factor when it comes to determined whether or not you have a shot of getting hired. Soft skills, initiative and leadership potential matter as well. Grades are important too. Be the best at everything you and you will get something this fall. :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Most of the firms say they don't have a specific GPA cutoff (see Deloitte Careers FAQs for example), but there's basically a cutoff of around 80.

Once you're past the 80 threshold, marks aren't that important. Read what MINTOK said: that's the stuff they're looking for in the recruiting sessions, interviews, office visits, etc.

Supposedly that the marks cutoff only exists because the firms want to make sure that you can pass the UFE (although low marks can imply lack of intelligence, laziness, etc. as well).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@g93 wrote
Most of the firms say they don't have a specific GPA cutoff (see Deloitte Careers FAQs for example), but there's basically a cutoff of around 80.

Once you're past the 80 threshold, marks aren't that important. Read what MINTOK said: that's the stuff they're looking for in the recruiting sessions, interviews, office visits, etc.

Supposedly that the marks cutoff only exists because the firms want to make sure that you can pass the UFE (although low marks can imply lack of intelligence, laziness, etc. as well).

I would say the "cutoff" is closer to 70-75. This depends on many things, however. Which school are you from? Which year are you in? Is your dad a partner at one of the firms? Etc. I know people with B+ and no relatives in the firms getting into the big 4 in the second year and I know people with A+ not even getting an interview in the 3rd year. I have noticed that Deloitte places more importance on grades. KPMG and PwC on personality and networking. E&Y on the school you're coming from.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MINTOK wrote

@g93 wrote

I would say the "cutoff" is closer to 70-75. This depends on many things, however. Which school are you from? Which year are you in? Is your dad a partner at one of the firms? Etc. I know people with B+ and no relatives in the firms getting into the big 4 in the second year and I know people with A+ not even getting an interview in the 3rd year. I have noticed that Deloitte places more importance on grades. KPMG and PwC on personality and networking. E&Y on the school you're coming from.

So a subpar resume won't kill my chances :/ ? I think I can network ok, if given the opportunity and I know I won't drop below 80 before the start of recruiting season.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@timduncan01 wrote
So a subpar resume won't kill my chances :/ ? I think I can network ok, if given the opportunity and I know I won't drop below 80 before the start of recruiting season.

In the end, I am not a recruiter and my opinion on this is just that of an outstanding student who met with many people from the firms, but that's about it. Resume is not perfect? Work on it. You have like 8 months before you. My resume is the best in my class and even I try to improve it. You network ok? Go out there, meet people and become outstanding. Average is an 80? Try to bring it to a 90.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi,

Yes I do appreciate your advice. I said my average won't drop below 80, right now its a low 90. I have and hopefully will continue to obtain marks. I do realise I have 8 months its just I get passed over all the big 4 plus ICAO conferences and competitions ( the places where I actually should be practising networking) because I don't have that good a resume.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@timduncan01 wrote
Hi,

Yes I do appreciate your advice. I said my average won't drop below 80, right now its a low 90. I have and hopefully will continue to obtain marks. I do realise I have 8 months its just I get passed over all the big 4 plus ICAO conferences and competitions ( the places where I actually should be practising networking) because I don't have that good a resume.

Which school are you from? Don't you have a career center or accounting society which organizes BIG 4 visits? If you don't, cold call through LinkedIn and try to set up meetings with employees from a targeted firm. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi Dmitry,

I'm in waterloo afm pa. Yes the school does organise networking sessions but to get an edge I would like to get into an ICAO or big 4 conference which ofcourse should prove difficult, if not impossible. One more thing ummm can I email you my resume, so you could I don't know at the very least decide if its really that bad.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@timduncan01 wrote
Hi Dmitry,

I'm in waterloo afm pa. Yes the school does organise networking sessions but to get an edge I would like to get into an ICAO or big 4 conference which ofcourse should prove difficult, if not impossible. One more thing ummm can I email you my resume, so you could I don't know at the very least decide if its really that bad.

Does that mean you get co-op? Shouldn't that makes things easier? By the way, did you apply to Charted for Finance? I met a lot of Waterloo students there.

Waterloo places a lot of students into BIG 4 for co-op and internship. Meet with upper year students who have worked for the firms already. Follow their advice. It is much easier to stick to what works than to create your own path. Also, there is your networking opportunity. All of those people are within your network and they can link you to recruiters, associates, managers and partners of the firm. ;)

Email me your resume and I will see how I can help. mail@dmitrykutsyy.com

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi Dmitry,

Yes I do get coop and it should make things easier, however the competition here is ridiculous. I did apply to chartered for finance but got rejected. I do know many upper years who work in these firms but I don't know if networking with them is like networking with actual recruiters. I will email my resume. Thanks for all your help.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@MINTOK wrote

@g93 wrote

e have been told that many of the firms impose a cutoff of 80, but perhaps that is because we have co-op and so many students applying. Although I'm sure if you can network well you can get around this. But as our program director said, some firms will take the stack of resumes and discard all the ones below 80 (figuratively, as it's all online), just as a way to weed out the ones they figure won't be worth their time.

And yes, we have undergraduate advisors exclusive to the SAF, an accounting and finance student association with mentors and resume-critiquing services, networking/academic/professional development sessions, and helpful profs, among others.

To the OP: First, you can try the AFSA online resume critique if you want as well (not that Dmitry wouldn't be helpful). Second, try to get involved with the things that don't have a selection process (check AFSA for some of the upcoming events). And I'm still trying to figure out who you are, Mr. Duncan (I know that isn't your real name).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@timduncan01 wrote
Hi Dmitry,

Yes I do get coop and it should make things easier, however the competition here is ridiculous. I did apply to chartered for finance but got rejected. I do know many upper years who work in these firms but I don't know if networking with them is like networking with actual recruiters. I will email my resume. Thanks for all your help.

Of course networking with them is not the same as with recruiters, but that does not mean it is not helpful. In many ways, what I learned from students who just got hired was more beneficial than some sit downs I've had with full timers at BIG 4 because your fellow students just went through this process and can give many tips on what exactly you should do and whom you should speak with. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes Dmitry I understand and I'll contact those who have just obtained coop there and I'll ask them for advice. LOL I prefer to remain anonymous and I don't know why but I think you're abhishek deswal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thewright thewright

@timduncan01 wrote
Yes Dmitry I understand and I'll contact those who have just obtained coop there and I'll ask them for advice. LOL I prefer to remain anonymous and I don't know why but I think you're abhishek deswal.

lol wtf " abishek deswal"?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of derpherp1 derpherp1
Your marks are absolutely worthless when you're looking for a B4 job, get 75+ and they won't give a damn. Work on your ability to hold a conversation and make yourself seem interesting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014
lol i had 85+ avg, leadership positions, and job experience in accounting and private wealth mgmt, and those big 4 douches didnt even interview me (to be fair, didn't apply to audit, consulting, deals, advisory, etc)...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
Im working in big4 in a non accounting role.

PM me with any more specific questions, and I will answer them.

Would prefer not to answer them here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rush Rush
Just ask someone from your favourite firm out for coffee. Bingo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@g93 wrote

+ 1

Here (at least for co-op) you need a 10 (A-) to get an interview with the Big 4...from there it's your interview/ec's/work experience I believe
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
I got hired at a big 4 firm in the fall and am on co-op now.

I had an 80+ average, but what i really got interview requests and eventually hired on was the combination of job experience and volunteer experience. If you don't have one of those, you better have a hell of a lot of the other.

They like people who have "been around". People who have been exposed to different environments and adapted, people who have worked in teams, and people who show their "core values" and can take feedback well.. I'm speaking generally of course.

The only firm that expressed a cutoff towards us at Brock was E&Y. They stated they don't look at anyone under 85. I don't know how accurate that is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014

@kiddinaround wrote
I got hired at a big 4 firm in the fall and am on co-op now.

I had an 80+ average, but what i really got interview requests and eventually hired on was the combination of job experience and volunteer experience. If you don't have one of those, you better have a hell of a lot of the other.

They like people who have "been around". People who have been exposed to different environments and adapted, people who have worked in teams, and people who show their "core values" and can take feedback well.. I'm speaking generally of course.

The only firm that expressed a cutoff towards us at Brock was E&Y. They stated they don't look at anyone under 85. I don't know how accurate that is.

you must be that super intense asian kid at pwc lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0