yconic - Grades Vs Part Time Job Survey
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Grades Vs Part Time Job Survey

A photo of sycra6961 sycra6961
This is similar to my previous topic, however this survey is OPEN TO EVERYONE! i need to do a project for data and i have to find a correlation between 2 items. i am comparing the relationship of how having a part time job affects your grades.

so what i want to know is:

1 - if you have a part time job, if so how many hours a week do you work and if theyre mostly weekdays or weekends

2 - your midterm averages, and if you remember them your makrs before you got your job to see if it had an increase or decrease.

3 - what grade you are in

thanks to all of you,
i appreciate your answers! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of blackjack blackjack
hmm i kinda have one.. not really. I only work three hours a week lol :P two hours tutoring and one hour reffing basketball

My midterm average is 96. Before it was lower in the low 90's but that's only because I'm in grade 12 and work alot harder now even with more stuff to do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
7 hrs/weekdays/94 before job/93 after job
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of llss llss
My summer job for the time between grade Grade 10 and 11 lasted from April to October. During the time I was in school, my average went from approx 92% in 2nd semester grade 10 to 86% for 1st semester grade 11. I believe that most of the drop has to do with the additional work from my busy timetable (1st semester grade 11 included physics, bio and functions). Time management skills were a must because I was working for 15hrs+ each weekend which didn't leave a lot of time for homework. Again, I wouldn't say my job affected my marks directly; it just required me to plan out my time better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm in grade 12 and I work about 15 hours a week, weekdays & weekends. At midterm I had an 85 average and it has increased. A job hasn't affected my marks at all. I've always been organized and I just plan my time wisely.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
You should be able to maintain a job and high school work (A average), if not you have some time management issues and it's going to show once you're in university
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sycra6961 sycra6961

@Qq wrote
You should be able to maintain a job and high school work (A average), if not you have some time management issues and it's going to show once you're in university

i agree, i found that most students with jobs are usually responsible and can therefore keep up with their studies, but i would still like to get as much data as i can. i need 100 different people!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sn86 sn86
Yea it really depends on your time management. What could infuence your time management would be the difficulty of your courses (coz you would need more time studying courses which are hard) and how much hours you intend on putting in your part time job (if you feel you need more hours/money).

A part time job does help with daily expenses especially when it comes to books. However, if it affects your studies then you should decide on if it is worth keeping coz failing one course might not allow you to move on to the next semester and it would be extra/unncessary expense reapplying for the failed course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JOLEECHAN JOLEECHAN
I work 9 hours a week, weeknights and weekends.
My midterm average is 85 and I'm in grade 12.
But I also run/am in 3 clubs, take 2 languages courses outside of school, tutor grade 9 students twice a week and take kendo classes every sunday. I also hang out with my friends whenever I get the chance to, so definitely, marks aren't affected only by part time jobs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sampowell sampowell
1. I have a part time job, i work between 10-20 hours weekdays and weekends
2. My marks before i had the job were 80-83, after 85-90
3. This was in gr 11
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pamela13 pamela13
I think it really depends on the person and their ability to manage their time effectively. Also, the people who go on to this site are likely looking for academic scholarships and are therefore smarter/get better grades than the average schoolgoer. I think you should ask around elsewhere as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brett7788 brett7788
1)I have a part time job for 5 hours three days a week
2)My marks before where about 80-86% now 78-84%
3)In grade 10
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Love2travel Love2travel
Hmm I'm in my first year of university now, but I'm guessing this is a high school project? I will give you info about Grade 12 instead.
- I worked around 8 hours a week, but this varied weekly - Mondays, Wednesdays, some Saturdays.
- I actually found that I did better at school while working. Before working, my marks were in the mid-90s, generally. Once I began working, however, they shot up to the high 90s is nearly every class! I think being more active outside school, being independent and adding more elements to my life just made me more motivated to work harder in everything else.
- Grade 12 (last year)

Best of luck with your proj. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Saruna Saruna
I work 12-16 hours a week, mostly on weekdays.
My midterm mark was 87% but I believe it went up by a percent or so.
I'm in grade 12, but my marks haven't changed much compared to when I was in grade 11 and didn't have a job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vanjoy vanjoy
For me, I'm heading into term 2 which is the most crucial time of my life.

I've been trying to find a job in my area since last year, but I've got no luck up to this point still..... maybe i'm not trying hard enough to get one but I do volunteer a whole ton.

I'm volunteering about 5 hours a week now and my average is about an A so it's okay.

It's kind of the same as work right? haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
(From when I was in high school)

1. Yes. About 30 hours at one job, 30 hours at another, and volunteering 10 hours a week.

2. High 80's/low 90's in all courses, and there was no change.

3. From grades 10-12.

(For university)

1. Yes. About 30 hours at one job, and 20 hours at another.

2. Mid-to-high 80's. I've always worked throughout university.

3. First year to present.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of simplySimple simplySimple
1) work 15-25 per week. weekdays and weekends
2) same mid/low 90s. I like to think that ive gotten stupider after getting a job, but im actually just more lazy
3) grade 12
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jllama jllama
In grade 10 I worked about 10 hours/week and had an average of about 91-92.
This year (grade 11) I work about 15 hours/week and so far have an average of 94.
I don't think working has had much of an effect on my grades, it doesn't make sense that working more would boost my average. However, learning from experience how to study around a job is definately a valuable skill.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik
93.4 before job.
Tutoring 3 days a week (1 hour only)
86.25 after job.
BUT, that's not because of the job. It's because of other reasons. Laziness is one of them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ZusGodofThunder ZusGodofThunder
Part-time job 3 days a week 19hr a week
my mark before was 85% now is 92%
I am in third year collage
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NDelorme NDelorme
Working 8-12 hours a week in second year of college, and I've been able to maintain an average of 3.9 over 4.0. It's all about time management.
Was this helpful? Yes 0