yconic - Graduate Physics at U of T
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Graduate Physics at U of T

A photo of c12 c12
Hi Everyone,

So, I recently discovered that I enjoyed physics far better than other science fields. problem is that it was too late to apply for Physics at any university.

Instead, I am going to do be getting a bachelours of science in Chemistry,I was wondering if there is any possibility that I could get into a Graduate program such as U of T with such a degree.

Their website says that if you don't have a degree in "pure" physics, that they do accept people with degrees of similiar area . . .

Any thoughts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Are you sure you can't just switch your major to physics? Most science programs allow you to take whatever you want.

I would assume a similar area would be something more like math.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Phase Phase
chemical engineering perhaps, but regular chemistry won't cut it for physics graduate school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Ask the graduate program coordinator for the physics department whether your academic background will prepare you for a graduate degree (MSc or PhD?) in physics. In most cases, the requirement is there so that they know you have the background to understand the level of material taught.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c12 c12
Thanks for the responses everyone.

The problem is, the university I'm going to doesn't offer a major in physics . . . I know my Physics teacher had BSc in Chemistry, but he has MSc in physics.

I suppose the only solution is maybe transferring universities.

I still have 4 years to make up my mind. So I guess I see how chem goes, because I still enjoy it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
What university are you going to that doesn't have a physics program???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c12 c12
I'm going to Ryerson.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of a1 a1
You should be able to switch your major to mathematics. If not e-mail to see if double-majoring in chemistry/math is available
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c12 c12

@a1 wrote
You should be able to switch your major to mathematics. If not e-mail to see if double-majoring in chemistry/math is available

Hmm that's an option, it is common with biology and chemistry so it should eb easy. A major in mathematics would be more likely to help me get into physics?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@c12 wrote

@a1 wrote

Hmm that's an option, it is common with biology and chemistry so it should eb easy. A major in mathematics would be more likely to help me get into physics?

Absolutely. Physics, especially more advanced physics, is very math based
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c12 c12
That makes sense . . . Thanks for the help everyone, very helpful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0