yconic - Greek Life at Waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Greek Life at Waterloo

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I saw some stuff about the sororities in particular at Waterloo, well the only two sororities.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything more about Greek life at Waterloo or is in a sorority.

It seems like a great way to network, meet people and get involved.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of RandyK RandyK
+1 If you read the topic as GEEK Life at Waterloo trololol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose
As a general rule, the UW administration is very opposed to fraternities/sororities and they don't get any official support on campus as far as I'm aware. However, they still do exist and they hold events throughout the year. I'm not involved with any so I can't really give you any more info beyond that. I recommend a google search.

Frats/sororities come with the connotations of Animal House, and in reality they often can be just a bunch of partying cliques with some hierarchical structure. This is why the administration basically says "lolno" to frats.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I didn't even know they had sororities until I actually checked the FEDS website which lists them as an official organization.

Hopefully greek life is not totally unsupported by the school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Greek life is not totally like it is portrayed in Animal House. Frats and sororities are not nunneries, but they're not ridiculous either. Some non-Greek houses near campus will be rowdier than frats/sororities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
Greek life is not totally like it is portrayed in Animal House.

Considering some of the stories I've heard about Waterloo frats, I can't really look at that comment without laughing. I mean, obviously the movie is silly and an overexaggeration, but it got some points right. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This is where reading comprehension comes into play. "Obviously the movie is silly and an overexaggeration, but it got some points right" <- that's exactly what I meant. I didn't say it was not like it is portrayed in Animal House; I said it is not totally like it is portrayed in Animal House. Big difference.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
This is where reading comprehension comes into play. "Obviously the movie is silly and an overexaggeration, but it got some points right" <- that's exactly what I meant. I didn't say it was not like it is portrayed in Animal House; I said it is not totally like it is portrayed in Animal House. Big difference.

Yes. Because clearly from my first statement I meant that frats were a carbon copy of the movie. "Connotations" and all. Reading comprehension is hard, let's go shopping, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I wasn't criticizing your use of Animal House. If you hadn't mentioned Animal House, I still would have said exactly what I said. It's just that Animal House is the source of many people's impressions of Greek life. That's why I referenced it, and that's, presumably, also why you referenced it. Coincidence. Nevertheless, I think we both made our points. Animal House is an exaggeration (as should be expected - it IS a movie, after all), but it is still a true representation of Greek life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0